• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Guessing Game, Round 11

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
next, dub and sub

That is so lame

I think I know who this is.

spoiler[A repeated line (in fact the only thing she says) by Mii Fujibakama from Date A Live.]

Best character of the show.

Edit: also, regarding my first line above, it is "who" or "whom"? Even after reading up on objective versus subjective pronouns I can never tell when to use what.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:11 pm Reply with quote
correct
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I instantly recognised the quote thanks to Mii being my favourite character and also that I had just finished season two so it was fresh in my mind.

However, Akane the Catgirl is absolutely correct; the quote was way, way too generic.

Turn is open.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
The way you wrote it is grammatically correct, dtm42, as "who" is serving as the subject of the second clause in that sentence and "who" is the subjective form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Subs:

Character A: Apparently Character B's out with a fever today.

Character C: *YOU WA SHOCK!* Why did I even bother coming to school, then?

Character A: To learn things.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Aki Hiiragi to Yachiyo Inugami, Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san. And because I know you have a hard-on for answers giving context in the form of sentences: Inugami is crushed upon hearing that Suzu Nekoyama won't be at school that day because of sickness. Hiiragi replies by telling her that school is for learning, not just an excuse for meeting Nekoyama.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Correct. Open turn again.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:43 am Reply with quote
Reminder, open turn.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:00 am Reply with quote
OK. From the official sub. I expect both parts to be accurately contextualised.

Let’s see, Virgo… Horoscope’s pretty good. “A wonderful chance encounter may be close by.” Your lucky colour is black.

>Time passes by<

Expect a wonderful encounter. Your lucky colour is black
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Hint # 1: spoiler[The speaker, who is alone each time, is reading / thinking aloud.]
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Recognized the quote, but tracking the character's name down was a royal pain. spoiler[I believe he's only ever referred to in credits as the Custodian, but he's the doorkeeper for the STN-J HQ in Witch Hunter Robin. This is from near the beginning of episode 1, with the first part being him reading his horoscope right before Robin arrives and the second part being reflecting back on that while looking at Robin while she's waiting for Amon.]
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Recognized the quote, but tracking the character's name down was a royal pain. spoiler[I believe he's only ever referred to in credits as the Custodian, but he's the doorkeeper for the STN-J HQ in Witch Hunter Robin. This is from near the beginning of episode 1, with the first part being him reading his horoscope right before Robin arrives and the second part being reflecting back on that while looking at Robin while she's waiting for Amon.]

I'll accept your answer, Key, as I'm at work and can't confirm whether what you say about the second part is true - it rings a bell. I actually took the second part from spoiler[the epilogue to the last episode - an audience tease as to whether or not the person getting out of the taxi is Robin.]
Akaname

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
OK. From the official sub. I expect both parts to be accurately contextualised.

Let’s see, Virgo… Horoscope’s pretty good. “A wonderful chance encounter may be close by.” Your lucky colour is black.

>Time passes by<

Expect a wonderful encounter. Your lucky colour is black

So, from Key's confirmed guess, the first part is from the first episode, but:

errinundra wrote:
I actually took the second part from the epilogue to the last episode

For future reference, I would like to see some kind of official ruling on this quote. How can a user "expect both parts to be accurately contextualized" when the time between both parts is 26 episodes.

I've seen the first episode of this series, it was enough for me. If I had recognized this quote, by this user's "rules" I could never have guessed correctly because I didn't sit through hours and hours of this yawnfest?
This is essentially two quotes from two entirely different episodes.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Why shouldn't a person who has seen the entire series have an advantage over someone who has only seen the first episode? Seems entirely reasonable to me.

By extension you might argue with your logic that people who haven't seen a series at all shouldn't be disadvantaged against people who have. Or you might argue that quotes shouldn't come from last episodes full stop so as not to disadvantage people like yourself.

And, hey, I was lenient with the answer. Wink
Akaname

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I meant no personal offence to you, but I think you tend to overanalyze things, including your quote choices. It's just a game, on an anime forum. Again, this is nothing personal, and I don't mind saying that I pretty much suck at this game(stealing open turns is usually the best I can do.)

But this is how your last quote reads to me:

My quote: part one

>26 episodes pass by<

My quote: part two

I demand you recognize, understand, and provide contextualized proof of you viewing all 26 episodes of this series.

Not fair to anyone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 67 of 101