• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Offers Madoka Magica -Rebellion- Blu-ray in April

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
We get it, SouthPacific. You're a dub-hating little weeb. You've only reminded us a billion times. Rolling Eyes

Look, your main problem is that you go around saying "almost all dubs are complete crap" like it's a time-honored fact, when in reality, it's nothing more than your opinion. And just like the old adage says, "Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one, and most of them stink."

If you honestly don't like the majority of English dubs, that's fine. But to slam your fist down and say that it is a proven, scientific *FACT* and that anyone who disagrees with you has a "lower standard of taste" is horribly arrogant, elitist, and holier-than-thou.

Last edited by SpacemanHardy on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
LET ME CLARIFY SOMETHING ABOUT THE SUBS!

I already translated the details from the Japanese website (http://www.madoka-magica.com/blu-ray_dvd/) on what does and doesn't have subtitles in English--the bonus content being almost exclusively on the second disc:

Quote:
—Homura's 1st Take Version:
Homura's voice in the scene(s) after she becomes Akuma Homura is(are) replaced with her "1st take" voice clips. These are the same as the clips from the theater run. There are no subs or Audio Commentary on this. (I assume this means they re-recorded the scenes for the new BD release)

—The Madoka x Monogatari SS skits from the theater run. (no indication of subtitles or audio commentary for this)

—The 2-hour TV special, which is a shorter compilation of the first two movies. There WILL be English subs for this, as well as Audio Commentary, movie previews, commercials, and the no-credit opening.

So the skits, unfortunately, don't seem to have subtitles on them, and neither do the recorded scenes from the 1st take portion of the extras, but the 2-hour special DOES have subs on it. It includes a 2-hour compilation of both movies (a compilation of a compilation... lol) and some cast interviews with Saito Chiwa and such. I'm not sure if the interviews are subbed, but it says the special is, so maybe. As for everything else, the skits are just Madoka/Monogatari crossover things that are funny and really short (expect them to find their way online soon after the BD's release, fansubbed), and the re-take is just a re-take of some voiced scenes from Rebellion, so you don't really need subs for them, since you will know the scene after watching the movie itself.

The only major thing without subs on it is the audio commentary, and audio commentary NEVER has English subs on it on Japanese BD's, and the English releases NEVER include audio commentary on them in the first place. Trying to sub audio commentary is a task about 10x harder than subbing an anime itself, so I don't blame anyone for not doing that. The audio commentary in the original BD's weren't subbed, even though the series itself had subtitles on it. And I don't remember there being audio commentary for the release of the first two movies, but I suspect those wouldn't have had subs on them either. This isn't so much a missing thing as it is just a normally-missing thing we'll never get, no matter what series it is. Unfortunately for those who don't know Japanese. ):
(not to over-advertise for fansubs, but there's one group that subbed the audio commentary for the Madoka BD's, so that group might be willing to sub the audio commentary here, too)

From here, feel free to make your own judgment. Aniplex's website kinda skimps out on the details and just claims there are no subs on any of the bonus content (because there isn't on the stuff some people might be interested in), but if the Japanese website says there are on some, then I will bet there are on some.

For those that care, thanks for reading my post! I hope it helps out a bit more.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
That 90% statistic he blatantly made up is definitely false.

It should be higher, my guess would be somewhere around ~99.7%.

@Kougeru, People are content with dubs that are horrible in comparison to their Japanese counterpart because the standard of quality is extremely low. And it's not getting better because most people are used to this standard, and simply doesn't have a general idea of what dubs could be, which is ultimately quite sad Sad .

Ugh, not you again. Rolling Eyes
khthibault

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Oh jeez. I don't know what's worse, an "Aniplex is overpriced" thread or a "subs vs dubs" thread.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
khthibault wrote:
Oh jeez. I don't know what's worse, an "Aniplex is overpriced" thread or a "subs vs dubs" thread.

They pretty much all amount to this anyways:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXQMoyhPNJA

Laughing
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
nothing will ever be as terrible as Bible Black's dub. that was so godawful it doesn't even make it to so bad it's good territory
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:09 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
nothing will ever be as terrible as Bible Black's dub. that was so godawful it doesn't even make it to so bad it's good territory

I disagree. I find Bible Black's dub to be very amusing.

Now, Angel Links' dub..... That one just *HURTS*. Mad
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:20 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
We get it, SouthPacific. You're a dub-hating little weeb. You've only reminded us a billion times. Rolling Eyes

Look, your main problem is that you go around saying "almost all dubs are complete crap" like it's a time-honored fact, when in reality, it's nothing more than your opinion. And just like the old adage says, "Opinions are like buttholes. Everyone has one, and most of them stink."

If you honestly don't like the majority of English dubs, that's fine. But to slam your fist down and say that it is a proven, scientific *FACT* and that anyone who disagrees with you has a "lower standard of taste" is horribly arrogant, elitist, and holier-than-thou.

Just like in yesterday's "discussion" you are not only rude, you also like to crank up the heat by adding personal attacks and frighteningly delusional assumptions.

Oh, and like i've already said, oh I don't know how many times now, I do not, i repeat, do not hate dubs. I wonder how many times i need to type this in order for you to understand. I can see how you dislike subtitles if you have a hard time reading the english language.

Continuing on, the reason i'm not so happy about the dub scene as it right now is because... oh wait, déjà vu? Right, i've already stated that as well, and you decided to not touch on it as you could not point out any flaws in my logic. It's nice to see that you at the very least know your own limits.

I would also like to point out that it's quite amusing how you personally attack me because of my general dislike of how dubs are being produced at the moment, while at the same time I see you bashing sub-only releases in every thread possible. Confused

Having said all of this, I will no longer reply to your comments, as it seems you have a wish to argue rather than discuss in a civilized manner. And that's not my wish.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
This thread is becoming a sub vs. dub war, brilliant.
http://i.imgur.com/MCtje6v.png

You never cease to amaze me ANN.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Yep. Like I said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXQMoyhPNJA

Carry on, everyone.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Any news on an USA Animate edition? My HomuMadokami tapestry is getting lonely all by itself. I will be very happy to finally have a complete collection of JP discs (TV anime and movies) These Blu-ray are some of the best in my import collection. Really big fan of the MadoMagi franchise right here.
feuerwerke

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Eh, already preordered on AmiAmi, where it also comes with a paperweight.
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Any news on an USA Animate edition? My HomuMadokami tapestry is getting lonely all by itself. I will be very happy to finally have a complete collection of JP discs (TV anime and movies) These Blu-ray are some of the best in my import collection. Really big fan of the MadoMagi franchise right here.

No pictures, but...
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Guy 1: Aniplex is evil!
Guy 2: They can do whatever they want, they make money.
Guy 3: Yeah, they can, but I'm not happy about this.
Guy 4: Lolz no dub subs are better #I'mBetterThanYou
Guy 5: Dubs can be good too.

There, I saved you a trip through the comments pages.
Red Fox of Fire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
It may be that the previous movies have sold well without having a dub, and adding a dub to this movie could mean less profit, as opposed to just subbing it. Less work, more profit = probably every companies dream.

Thanks, but I know how economics works <_<.

Kougeru wrote:
Always surprises me that people actually LIKED that horrific dub.

Because it was good, very good. And this is coming from someone who watched the series twice in full - yes, subbed - before the dub release.

Honestly, if you think Madoka's dub was "horrific," you either are not qualified to judge English voice acting or are simply biased. Whether you think the dub was AMAZING or not is up to opinion, but "horrific" is far from a reasonable conclusion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8