• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Offers Madoka Magica -Rebellion- Blu-ray in April

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:39 pm Reply with quote
For the property, for the releases, for the fact that it's an AoA import, I think it's reasonably priced.

I wouldn't buy it but compared to that first Fate/Zero monstrosity {about 1/3 the content for 1/5 the price}, this is normal. Almost good, I'd say.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:55 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Having said all of this, I will no longer reply to your comments, as it seems you have a wish to argue rather than discuss in a civilized manner. And that's not my wish.

Save us the sanctimonious twaddle. Do you think ANN posters don't recognize a troll when we see one? Your noxiously stupid opinion of dubs and the way you choose to express it is absolutely calculated to be provocative. You simply don't have the balls to be upfront about it. You have the same level of interest in having an intelligent, non-confrontational discussion about dubs vs. subs as your average, garden variety troll has: zero. All you care about is climbing up on your sad little hobby horse and then beating it in to the ground, ad nauseam.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
Having said all of this, I will no longer reply to your comments, as it seems you have a wish to argue rather than discuss in a civilized manner. And that's not my wish.

Save us the sanctimonious twaddle. Do you think ANN posters don't recognize a troll when we see one? Your noxiously stupid opinion of dubs and the way you choose to express it is absolutely calculated to be provocative. You simply don't have the balls to be upfront about it. You have the same level of interest in having an intelligent, non-confrontational discussion about dubs vs. subs as your average, garden variety troll has: zero. All you care about is climbing up on your sad little hobby horse and then beating it in to the ground, ad nauseam.

Other than a miserable attempt to insult me, you failed to bring something up for discussion.

And while I think troll-calling is a very promiment way of trolling by itself, I can assure you i'm not trolling. I can't see how anyone could put the amount of effort I do into my posts into trolling... IDK how you view trolling, but I view it as a pointless past time that can easily be ignored.

And while on the subject of discussion I can't really say that these forums are the best place to hold one as there simply is such a small group participating, which in most cases will lead to the discussion being rather one-sided.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
The discussion is your hypocritical, trollish attempt to pretend you aren't being deliberately provocative in your opinion. To wit:

SouthPacific wrote:
@Kougeru, People are content with dubs that are horrible in comparison to their Japanese counterpart because the standard of quality is extremely low. And it's not getting better because most people are used to this standard, and simply doesn't have a general idea of what dubs could be, which is ultimately quite sad Sad .

Yeah, we can really tell you are interested in intelligent, nonconfrontational discourse there. The sincerity just oozes out of you. Rolling Eyes
Juno016

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm not joining the debate, but... I still want to comment on how Cassandra Lee was a fun Kyuubey and Christina Vee's performance in the last episode as Homura was... astounding to hear in the sea of voice acting in the West. It blended so well with Homura's true character (as it was in the Japanese version as well) and was so emotionally expressed... I cried...

Still prefer the Japanese cast's efforts (which are also extraordinary for a Japanese dub), but these two roles were particularly well-done in English and I will have a hard time finding something in English that can combat the feelings I felt from the combination of the story and their particular acting in their best scenes...

But yeah. I just hope people saw my other post about the status of subs on the BD and how Aniplex has misleading info on its page. Just a reminder to those who missed my post: the 2-hour special is explicitly said to have English subs on the Japanese website's listing of the BD's collector's edition.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
While I wish the extras were subbed, I'm not going to risk not getting this movie on the chance Aniplex might release a domestic release down the line. Pre ordered standard edition.

Edit-Missed Juno's post saying some of the extras are subbed.

Last edited by shamisen the great on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Hope that is really true on the Japanese site, because I doubt you can return it, if it wasn't.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
The discussion is your hypocritical, trollish attempt to pretend you aren't being deliberately provocative in your opinion. To wit:

SouthPacific wrote:
@Kougeru, People are content with dubs that are horrible in comparison to their Japanese counterpart because the standard of quality is extremely low. And it's not getting better because most people are used to this standard, and simply doesn't have a general idea of what dubs could be, which is ultimately quite sad Sad .

Yeah, we can really tell you are interested in intelligent, nonconfrontational discourse there. The sincerity just oozes out of you. Rolling Eyes

It seems you failed to understand what I was trying to get at with that post. To draw a very simply and hopefully clear idea of what I meant you could think of how god was seen as real, and that no ordinary citizen would ever question god's existence 1000 years ago. Fast forward to now, and things have changed, quite a lot. I'm well aware that this isn't the best reference, but i'm not going to go out of my way to make the best example possible.

It's the same with current dubs, people will be in the dark about them without knowing.

Right now dubs aren't exactly great, and that has been the case for a while. Now I don't know why or how, nor when it happened. I do however have an idea that involves the downfall of a number of R1 distributors, which lead to the rise of other ones. In any case, because dubs have, in general, been lackluster for a while now, people have simply gotten used to it. Those who began watching anime after the aformentioned events occured won't even know it ever happened, and are simply presented with the standard that we have right now.

In other words, they won't know what dubs could be, or rather how good they could be. They are only familiar with the current standard, and many people won't even question it, because why would they? These are the only dubs they know.

Hopefully this cleared some things up.
FierceAlchemist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for Rightstuf to get this. Preordered the Standard Blu Ray cause I'm cheap. Can't wait to see this again in HD. After seeing it in theaters it's hard to watch the camera rip.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually getting used to this "import" thing. I have been really adamant about getting an official English version for my collection in the past, but knowing Aniplex of America and my own paranoia and OCD nature about these things, I'll stretch for this so I don't have to worry about missing out on owning the final part to one of my favorite series.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Well, not really sorry since you seem to hate middle class Americans that like to buy more than 1 anime a year and 1 video game a year.

This is an import release at import prices. If the movies get a domestic release at some point, they'll be cheaper and might even have a dub.

Quote:
I honestly wish rich people would stop supporting them so they would realize how much their stuff is overpriced.

I don't think that it's _just_ rich people buying the AoA discs.

Quote:
Fate/Zero is still 150 dollars at the cheapest for 13 episodes...something that is normally only 60 dollars. This company is hurting the industry more than it's helping it.

How are they hurting the industry? If they're actually hurting anyone, it's only themselves. No one else is raising their prices to AoA's level, so Funi and ADV will keep selling as usual.

Quote:
They're only helping themselves. They should try to spread their product to more consumers by having a more realistic price.

That only works if they gain enough buyers to offset the money lost by having a cheaper price.

ColonelYao47 wrote:
(*One eye on USA Animate to see what kind of extras they'll have*)

That's why I haven't placed a pre-order yet.

ColonelYao47 wrote:
luffypirate85 wrote:
Any news on an USA Animate edition?

No pictures, but...

Thaaaaaat's what I was waiting to see. ^^ Looks like I'll be buying the third movie from them, just like I did with the first two...
Nayu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Well im not a hooker so I can't get it

I'm not sure if I should be offended by this. Are you suggesting that people who buy Aniplex releases are whores?
Yuno07

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Nonetheless it is the truth. 55 dollars for a two hour movie (standard edition) is a bit high priced there.

Subjective. Additionally, even if it was "fact" (which it isn't) what does mentioning it for the millionth time accomplish?

Hint: absolutely nothing

Nayu wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:

I'm not sure if I should be offended by this. Are you suggesting that people who buy Aniplex releases are whores?

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the intent of that comment. The statements made by the "AoA's releases are overpriced" crowd are grounded in emotion, rhetoric, and not much else.
rydia251

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:

Coming from someone who complains about Sentai prices with regularity. I get the AoA pain, I just twitched a bit and poured an extra drink as I pulled out my credit card to order the Madoka Rebellion LE, but seriously have you never shopped a RightStuf sale for Sentai or other domestic products?

I hold all my Sentai purchases until a sale or the holiday run at RightStuf since they don't have LE's. Which is baffling frankly. Do they not want to extract maximum dollars from collectors or provide incentive to preorder? Is it a risk issue with being stuck with too much LE inventory (cough-Princess Jellyfish)? Hope they jump back on the LE train soon and get in touch with their ADV roots.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:05 am Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
Quote:
They're only helping themselves. They should try to spread their product to more consumers by having a more realistic price.

That only works if they gain enough buyers to offset the money lost by having a cheaper price.
And we even have proof here that lower prices don't always work better. When singles were nearly completely gone in 2010 after nearly the entire industry pretty much dropped them, the money made dropped drastically.
http://i.imgur.com/u6hVSjI.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8