• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Network Adult Swim to Expand to 8 P.M.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:35 am Reply with quote
That's very interesting info to read, I hope it help future anime that are going to be broadcast on Adult Swim in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
Why are people complaining? One more hour of Toonami. I think it's a plus!

Or am I missing something?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
^ You are. This is only ADULT SWIM, with shows like King of the Hill, American Dad, Family Guy, The Cleveland Show, Robot Chicken, Rick & Morty, The Boondocks, Aqua Teen Hunger Force (or whatever the hell it's called now) and tons of awful AS original shows.

Toonami will continue to be on at 11:30pm-6am on Saturday nights.

While this won't affect anime, I guess this is good news, but I'm used to [adult swim] starting very late. I do wish Toonami was on more than once a week. Long shows like One Piece need more than one broadcast to swiftly move through a story. Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z both aired 10 times a week (at one point, DBZ aired 17 times). I don't think they would be the hits they would have been if they aired weekly (which they did in syndication, and neither were big hits).
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
Sigh an again anther hour they take with the same crap they keep playing over 1 billion times all ready how high are people all the time to watch nothing
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Other than finding out where the new Rick and Mortys are going, I could care less.
WindAlchemistJen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Monster Hunter wrote:
I am confused here in California Adult Swim starts at 11:30pm with Space Dandy but it says Adult Swim is expanding an hour earlier to 8:00pm-6:00am but that makes no sense. It would make some sense if this Eastern time but then does it mean Eastern time gets 3 whole extra hours of Adult Swim every week?

I'm also in California, and that's Eastern time. Immediately before Space Dandy and the rest of the anime is Adult Swim comedies; this move doesn't affect anime in any way(starts at 8:30 Pacific with Space Dandy).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z both aired 10 times a week (at one point, DBZ aired 17 times). I don't think they would be the hits they would have been if they aired weekly (which they did in syndication, and neither were big hits).

Not only that, but also at times that the right demographic will likely not stay around for every single week. Well, it is a different world with DVR, but that's not the same thing. It's not the specific anime, it's the timeslot that made Toonami big. They could have shown nearly anything, and it would have found some audience, so long as it wasn't too old. El Hazard would have been a fun choice to follow after Tenchi, for example.
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
hojo 360 wrote:
All this shows CN it self is failing more and more remember CN tryed to go real and get rid of the cartoons well that all failed then they went back now AS is geting more air time at some point i can see them pulling an MTV and just making it all about AS. Prob just put the cartoons on Boomerang:P

That would be impractical as the average adult isnt watching at noon or even 4:00 PM. Keep in mind that 8:00 PM is when Nick at Nite airs as well.

That's what COPS and Cheaters are for. Wink

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
talk about uber no news. though its good to see it expanded to 8pm, unfortunately those timeslots will only have crappy US cartoons and no anime during saturdays.

so unless something changes, it kinda irrelevant.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joe anime

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
no anime during saturdays.

Space Dandy,every SATURDAY night at 11:30pm.
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
partysmores wrote:
Christ, why not just make it the Adult Swim channel?

I recall there was talk a few years back about making a dedicated Adult Swim network. I'm also starting to wonder why they don't just go ahead and do it.

Also, if Toonami continues to be successful then this will probably be relevant to it. Maybe we can even get to a point where actual kids watch Toonami again - shonen stuff like Naruto, Bleach and FMA can kick off the block, with more genuinely "adult" (i.e. seinen) series like Space Dandy, Bebop and Ghost in the Shell sticking with their late-night times.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:24 pm Reply with quote
King of the hill is not anime nor is it even any good to start with!

so how dose this effect the anime block?
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Catseyetiger wrote:
King of the hill is not anime nor is it even any good to start with!

so how dose this effect the anime block?

As CN's Toonami is the only basic cable anime slot in the U.S, anything that could affect it, like an expansion of Adult Swim, is news. Doesn't sound like it would, but you never know.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
Joe anime wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
no anime during saturdays.

Space Dandy,every SATURDAY night at 11:30pm.

I know that. I meant by during the 8-11pm timeslot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
In the past year, Adult Swim, a division of Turner Broadcasting, has become the number one viewing destination for the coveted 18 to 49 year-old male demographic -- a viewership which brings in premium pricing from advertisers, because they are hard to reach.

From: http://www.marketplace.org/topics/business/adult-swim-attracts-younger-viewers-late-night-pool

Now you know why they are expanding AS, and no, these viewers are not generally there to watch anime. One of the arguments made in favor of AS's success is its carriage of fifteen-minute programs which fit the limited attention spans of contemporary young adults.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3