• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Licenses Fusé: Memoirs of a Huntress Anime Film

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:04 pm Reply with quote
@ Ggultra2764 - your point that right now it's pretty much only AoA and NISA who do the occasional BD-only release it basically true, but there are indications that might change. Funi, for example, offers its Premium release of Psycho-Pass as BD-only (although there is a non-premium release that is combo) and it is offering its import versions of GitS: Arise on BD-only (and yes, the domestic versions of those are combo).

I'm not suggesting that the change is going to happen overnight, but my perception is that anime viewers tend to be adopting BDs faster than the general population, so the trend of BD-only releases is likely to increase.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra, I don't know if you are an audio guy, but BD format is awesome for it. I spent some money a while back for a nice Pioneer setup and the high quality mixes for movies and OVA add an entirely new level to my experience. A great example is the recent Macross Plus BD box; the newly recorded audio for the theatrical version literally brought tears to my eyes.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
I'm interested, plus I love NISA's releases.

Anybody seen it and/or know if it's any good?

I saw it thanks to streaming subbed on Hulu. It was definitely good. Darker than I figured it'd be; certainly worth seeing. I enjoyed Shino's performance alongside Hamaji's.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Surprising this devolves into a debate over disc formats. I just make a comment about the release and this blows over into something irrelevant to the topic. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
You sound like a person refusing to buy DVDs because VHS is cheaper and a DVD player is too much of a "hassle" to install.

The leap from VHS to DVD was a bigger deal since it greatly increased the options one had for viewing/ listening experience, more space to cram for extra features (if this was the thing for a TV/ movie fan) and the discs wouldn't wear as easily after repetitive playing as would happen to a VHS tape. The only leap Blu-Ray has is better presentation quality. I'd like more to my new technology than better-looking presentation.

Quote:
If you have a choice between BR or DVD then sure, get the cheaper version. But if your choice is between BR or nothing, then your argument that BR is not worth it because there's a cheaper alternative product or that you don't need the HD visuals flies out the window.

Quote:
HD televisions are pretty cheap now, not that you need one. If all you want to do is watch BRs then a CRT TV is fine. You won't get the HD visuals but you said you don't care about them anyway. If the only way to watch a title is on BR then a CRT or non-HD flatscreen will do fine.

We're acting a tad bit elitist, aren't we? Rolling Eyes

I don't see the practicality of getting a player right now just for only one Blu-Ray only release.

Quote:
Also, getting the software on your computer to handle a BR player is so easy that it isn't a legitimate excuse.

Not in terms of freeware. When I needed to get software that could play my DVDs for my laptop since it didn't come with pre-installed software, I could download freeware programs like VLC or Media Player Classic that can play DVDs. But for Blu-Rays, I'd have to pay extra money just to get software that would be compatible with the Blu-Ray player.

Quote:

Ggultra, I don't know if you are an audio guy, but BD format is awesome for it. I spent some money a while back for a nice Pioneer setup and the high quality mixes for movies and OVA add an entirely new level to my experience. A great example is the recent Macross Plus BD box; the newly recorded audio for the theatrical version literally brought tears to my eyes.

I can care less about enhancements that new technology introduces for the presentation of a physical media disc or digital files. As long as it plays and is of reasonable enough quality, I'll watch it. Enhancements like higher resolution or greater sound channels are mostly superficial elements to enjoy a movie or TV show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Mugi-chan and Okarin are the leads? NEAT. I'm buying it right now.
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
I remember seeing the anime promoted on a Keisei line train on my way back to Narita airport in September 2012:

ThisJustThis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:49 am Reply with quote
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when it comes to subtitles (NISA hasn't done dubs), DVD subtitles are those huge low-res yellow ones. While the quality of the actual video might not be a big enough difference to justify upgrading from DVD to BD for some people, the subtitles alone are enough of a reason for me. The DVD ones just cover up too much of the image.

Given the price and the play length, it would've been nice if they did a BD+DVD combo, though. Don't know why they stopped doing those. I appreciated being able to share anime with people who wouldn't normally watch it and wouldn't have a BD player.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But for Blu-Rays, I'd have to pay extra money just to get software that would be compatible with the Blu-Ray player...

Or you could get a blu-ray drive that comes with BD playback software. Or use free software to rip the BD to a decrypted format that can be played with VLC (horrid) or MPC-HC.

How are you an anime collector but yet for a bluray drive or standalone BD player cost is suddenly an obstacle? Considering your, ah, parsimony re:non-anime goods and apparent Luddite nature I have to wonder if your computer could even handle BD playback.
Quote:

I don't see the practicality of getting a player right now just for only one Blu-Ray only release.

Because it won't be only one BD release soon enough?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:48 am Reply with quote
Ggultra, if you are a fan of older cel based anime those enhancements make an incredibly huge difference. With Macross Plus; it was literally like I was seeing and hearing it for the first time again except this time it was much much more crisp and clear. Analog animation and BD format are literally made for each other. I do understand where you are coming from though. DVD is still a serviceable format (hence the reason why it is still around).
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:14 am Reply with quote
Hell if anything, analog anime (or any well-restored animation) on BD makes for a better presentation than modern day anime. DVD is still around because like I said, the players are everywhere and they are cheap. I rent DVDs from my library, and I'm not too concerned about it not being BD because I'm not keeping or paying for the disc, it's a matter of convenience. Though eventually, BD will find its way to become more commonplace, unless it's replaced by streaming first. I shudder to think of that occurring.
ElectricDork

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote
ThisJustThis wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but when it comes to subtitles (NISA hasn't done dubs), DVD subtitles are those huge low-res yellow ones. While the quality of the actual video might not be a big enough difference to justify upgrading from DVD to BD for some people, the subtitles alone are enough of a reason for me. The DVD ones just cover up too much of the image.

What about Sentai's gargantuan, eye-searing yellow monstrosities, though? Their Blu-rays are low priority for me primarily for that reason.

But I agree with your broader point. Most DVD subtitles are so ugly compared to the cleaner, higher-res ones on Blu-ray. And it just so happens that NISA's small, white font is my favourite.

I'm a big fan of The Hakkenden (the OVA, not the recent TV series) and NISA's releases, so I'll have me some of this, I think.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:47 am Reply with quote
Never heard of this particular title, but it's worth having just because it's a NISA release. Just a shame that it's a BD only release. If NISA is going to do more of those (which they probably will), I'll really have to buy a region free BD player.
gwdone

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote
My deal is if it's recorded in HD, then it's usually worth it quality wise. As long as not to much content is jammed on to one dvd. Tons of content = SLP mode quality (blu-ray style). I have both type players and vcr's / tapes to boot. I can't complain about the formats, but I don't re-purchase past titles just because there is a blu-ray dub released of something that's originally not recorded that way.

NIS has not disappointed me like Aniplex has price taggery wise. I can tell the artwork on this show is going to be super crisp, so I don't mind it coming out in HD only. NIS I can still afford, and love the big artwork packaging format.

I have had to resort to the lower priced Garden of Sinners and Fate/Zero to where I'd usually go for the package with most goodies and best artwork. Some titles I've missed out on completely because of Aniplex pricing me right out of the temptation. I'm not about to start bowing down to any stream due to quality, advertisements, and the fact that I want to own it physically, not to have to log in, get tracked (and spammed), and pay for my viewing pain, oh I mean pleasure.
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of this film but now I'm curious to see it.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
HD televisions are pretty cheap now, not that you need one. If all you want to do is watch BRs then a CRT TV is fine. You won't get the HD visuals but you said you don't care about them anyway. If the only way to watch a title is on BR then a CRT or non-HD flatscreen will do fine.

Actually, this guy reminds me of why it might not be possible to watch a film played on a bluray player to a standard def TV:

ThisJustThis wrote:

My friend and I used to play Halo on his 360 on an old TV, but things on the HUD were illegible. I've got Katanagatari on Bluray, and the type on those subtitles is pretty small. I kind of doubt I would be able to read them on a CRT.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3