• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: East Asia Television Channel Closes Before Launch

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Why is it always the minority ruining opportunities for the majority! Extreme fandom makes me rage Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really sure what to make of this, when I first heard about it this morning via the PR they released to Sunnycon to explain that they were folding and therefore would no longer be industry guests, I was aghast by the accusations of bullying and stalking.

However now that I've read the UK Anime Net exposé I have really mixed feelings over who is actually at fault, regardless the whole thing is a debacle and I am really disappointed because I was looking forward to more anime on UK TV. Regardless of whoever is at fault, at the end of the day, it is the UK anime community who loses as this will really put off anyone trying anything similar in the future.
Videlle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Such a shame... though I did read the UK Anime Network report about them and it all seems a bit odd. Shame about all the bullying, though. :(

To be honest, when I first read the article about this channel, I was a little bit sceptical. I remember reading on this site (some of Justin Sevakis' Answermen columns) about how difficult it is to get the broadcasting rights for dramas and movies and music programmes, which I remember from their website as being something they were interested in broadcasting as well as anime.

We've had a couple of anime channels on Sky and other platforms over the years and they have just never been very successful. Remember that one channel that had well-known anime for a few months and then seemingly lost the licence to a lot of them, resulting in repeats of what they did have (including a G.I. Joe show, I think) until the channel eventually disappeared?

I just don't think anime really has a foothold on TV in this country. :( It was brave of them to try, but I was always worried it was going to just be a flash in the pan thing.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:06 pm Reply with quote
This is total bollox. The whole thing was a scam from the get go. trying to fleace us with these dogey "kickstarter" bollox. 'tis reason I'll give not one farthing to any of them. Wink
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm it certainly at least looks that way, regardless it looks as though Kickstarter got wise and it never got past the provisional stage.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Seems like I missed something - what was going on with their Kickstarter campaign? (I didn't even know they had one going Embarassed )
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Videlle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
So they were making a Kickstarter to make a show for their own channel... a Japanese/British co-production with a steampunk aesthetic. For £475,000?

East Asia TV are not really a well-known name, the anime community in the UK isn't THAT large to fund such an enterprise, and I really don't think people would be able to donate that much money - you'd only reap the benefits if you were actually in the UK and were also a Sky subscriber. Not everybody gets Sky, and I know a LOT of people who don't care for services like Sky and simply use Freeview and Netflix/Love Film.

I think maybe they might have had a few too many ideas in one basket. Maybe they could have waited until they were properly established before announcing such a project. :roll:
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
They announced they were doing a Kickstarter and put up a teaser image for you to guess. I've been offline a lot due to illness so between then and now I hadn't checked up on it and never got to see the kickstarter page before it went down, but it turned out to be an original miniseries they were supposedly going to get someone in Japan to animate for half a million.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Videlle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
They announced they were doing a Kickstarter and put up a teaser image for you to guess. I've been offline a lot due to illness so between then and now I hadn't checked up on it and never got to see the kickstarter page before it went down, but it turned out to be an original miniseries they were supposedly going to get someone in Japan to animate for half a million.

Still... I wouldn't have considered it a wise move for such a fledgling company. I know you have to make investments, but making your own TV series is just too much money and effort when you're just starting up.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but a legit business with proper business people behind it would have been firstly concentrating on just getting the channel on air first, then get existing titles licenced for broadcast, not all this boiler room "gives us the money and we'll make an anine for you" operation crap. Did they think we're a bunch of stupid teenaged drop outs who just watch anime? Nice try f***tards. Laughing
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, and whilst might just be my own overly optimistic nature at play here, but part of me thinks this is less a scam and more disorganization and naivety on there parts rather than a willful scam. There again their reaction to this doesn't do them any favours.
Videlle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
To be honest, and whilst might just be my own overly optimistic nature at play here, but part of me thinks this is less a scam and more disorganization and naivety on there parts rather than a willful scam. There again their reaction to this doesn't do them any favours.

My thoughts exactly... UKA says that the staff was mostly populated by students in full-time education. Hardly experienced people in broadcasting.

It just seems like they blew out all their ideas at once. First they're going to be an anime channel delivering quality stuff to the UK. Then they were going to tap into live-action drama and music videos. Then they were working on getting a Sky channel, and now "give us your money we want to make our own anime", when any proper company would have, like Mohawk52 said, gotten the channel and THEN the licensing done first.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Ah now I know it seems like they didn't want to admit they made some huge financial mistakes and are using "extreme fans" as a scape goat to hide their shame.
lizardking461

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:33 am Reply with quote
To anyone "disappointed" that this is 'now not going ahead', please, wake up. Either, 1) these people were genuinely idiotic enough to believe they could pull this ridiculously over-ambitious venture off and would have failed at the first few hurdles, or 2) were scam artists attempting to make money off of a kick-starter by beginning their ruse months before.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
lizardking461 wrote:
To anyone "disappointed" that this is 'now not going ahead', please, wake up. Either, 1) these people were genuinely idiotic enough to believe they could pull this ridiculously over-ambitious venture off and would have failed at the first few hurdles, or 2) were scam artists attempting to make money off of a kick-starter by beginning their ruse months before.

I think we can still be disappointed that a anime channel is not going ahead. It would have been good if the UK had such a channel (and a successful one) but you are right, it clearly shouldn't be with these people.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2