• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sailor Moon Short Stories GN 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:20 am Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

Thanks for the info. Can anyone clarify further on this? :O

I rechecked my French edition as well as the one reviewed here, and it does look like it was the Japanese agency that wanted her to give up and get married. I tend to agree with FullMetalOne that TokyoPop misattributed the line in the first English translation...although it could also be that everyone else "fixed" what they saw as a mistake, given the history cited by FullMetalOne.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:49 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Thanks for the info. Can anyone clarify further on this? :O

I rechecked my French edition as well as the one reviewed here, and it does look like it was the Japanese agency that wanted her to give up and get married. I tend to agree with FullMetalOne that TokyoPop misattributed the line in the first English translation...although it could also be that everyone else "fixed" what they saw as a mistake, given the history cited by FullMetalOne.

Alright. Thank you, very much. Anime smile Anime smile Anime smile So it's Tokypop's error rather than Takeuchi's.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:

Do you honestly think an unmarried Princess bore children for the royal family? O_O
No. I meant did she die? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
And no. Resurrection implies that they all just popped back up again somewhere in their teenage bodies rather than having their spirits reborn years later on Earth.
Erm, we are talking about the end of the manga, not the anime, right? Wink
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Do you honestly think an unmarried Princess bore children for the royal family? O_O
No. I meant did she die? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
And no. Resurrection implies that they all just popped back up again somewhere in their teenage bodies rather than having their spirits reborn years later on Earth.
Erm, we are talking about the end of the manga, not the anime, right? Wink

Of course she died. She jabbed a giant sword through her chest. That's the fate she was trying to avoid at the end of the first arc. And we're not talking about the end of anything. We're talking about the beginning of the story. When the soldiers died, they were reborn 1,000 years later in new bodies. They were reincarnated.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I don't remember such a thing happening in the manga, Remind me where please?
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:

During the first arc? Beryl slew Endymion, Venus slew Beryl, and in her inconsolable grief, Serenity slew herself. Basically, a slew of problems befell the Moon Kingdom. ;D
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:

Why would that be an issue for you? It doesn't exactly seem uncommon that a warrior would swear their chastity to their ruler, and at that time a lot of Japanese women faced pressure to marry and children to further the family line, in a sense, preserving the family, as well as its immortality. So a bunch of female characters who choose to serve as soldiers rather than marrying and popping out babies was a pretty big deal.
Do you really think that is a good inspiration for a country where it's birth rate is in free fall? Even Roman soldiers had families, sometimes several. you might remember Venus, and Jupiter lamented that they wanted a love life, but gave up the idea when they remembered their vow to the Moon Princess, but that just made a nonsense of the scouts "regenerating" every generation. How can that be if there is no generation to regenerate from? The only way we are shown is when Saturn pops up as an infant after she closes the portal on the Dark Moon. Do all the others pop up this way too? Even Usagi who has a younger brother? Are they not blood related? See? Just too convoluted. Not a plot hole, but a canyon that never got explained.

It's not a common message in Japanese media that it's okay not to have kids. The reason the birth rate is on the decline is because of because of women being pressured to get married and have kids, but wanting to keep their careers. But also because of the emphasis on work, Japan's ability to turn each part of a relationship into a sellable commodity, the over-emphasis on taking care of the elderly, the emergence of 2D Girlfriends and boyfriends. The birth rate decline was caused by a lot of things, but a message that it's okay to not get married and not have kids was not one of them. And it's reincarnation, not regeneration. They don't need to reincarnate immediately after dying, nor do they even need to be related to their first incarnations. Princess Serenity died without ever having children and she found her way to a new body, pretty easily.
I think both of you have valid points, but I would have to go with zeo1fan overall due to the points he made. To elaborate further, the Sailor Soldiers could have had romantic attachments in addition to their devotion to Usagi, but that would have probably been overkill given gender politics in Japan in the 90's, plus you have to consider that it could have potentially put the Soldiers in a "Catch-22" scenario, where they were forced to choose between the boy they loved or fulfilling their duty to the Princess; regardless of the choice made, they would lose (though that would have added an interesting bit of drama and character development). Although I have to say that Japan today is at least a little more open to new ideas as far as relationships are concerned; Madoka Magica as we know it probably would have been unthinkable at the time Sailor Moon was written given that spoiler[The traditional gender roles of Madoka's parents were reversed.] I doubt any major publisher or studio would have gotten the series any further than the reception desk given the radical notion, and even if it had made it into production or serialization, it probably would have been cancelled immediately after the first chapter or episode, since the reaction would likely have been nothing short of "Shock and Awe" due to that reason alone. That's my take, at least.
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

During the first arc? Beryl slew Endymion, Venus slew Beryl, and in her inconsolable grief, Serenity slew herself. Basically, a slew of problems befell the Moon Kingdom. ;D
I see what you did there, zeo1fan, and I LOVE IT! Laughing
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:11 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Hmm. I get the feeling you're leaving something very important out there. I'm at work as I type this and so do not have my books at hand to refernece that, but I will when I get home. I get the feeling it has to to with a flashback.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:44 pm Reply with quote
TheFullmetalOne wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

I see what you did there, zeo1fan, and I LOVE IT! Laughing

Thank you. Wink
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Hmm. I get the feeling you're leaving something very important out there. I'm at work as I type this and so do not have my books at hand to refernece that, but I will when I get home. I get the feeling it has to to with a flashback.

Is it really that uncommon for grief stricken human beings to take their own lives? Rolling Eyes Especially royals, who are historically dramatic people.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Is it really that uncommon for grief stricken human beings to take their own lives? Rolling Eyes Especially royals, who are historically dramatic people.
Not if they are British. They would have had someone else do the deed, or die in their place. However the Japanese are infamous for topping themselves over the least little thing. Wink
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
zeo1fan wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Not if they are British. They would have had someone else do the deed, or die in their place. However the Japanese are infamous for topping themselves over the least little thing. Wink

Yet another way in which Romeo & Juliet inspired more serious interpretations than the source material warranted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2