• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wonder Momo (ONA).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
WONDER MOMO

anime#15841

Based on the old game. It's about a klutz aiming to become an idol who gets wrapped up in battle as a Tokusatsu-type heroine.

I know it's supposed to be campy, but we've seen awesome campy and genre parody before and this wasn't it. Even as a short it's just outright bad instead of amusing bad.

I hope they don't make a full show of this without seriously looking at some major changes. IMO, if they're going to try and breathe new life into Wonder Momo (she still pops up in crossover games every so often because Bamco loves them crossovers) I think they should go the movie or 3-ep OVA route, but aim for "campy good".
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:51 pm Reply with quote
It was terribly bad that it was hard to tell if it was on purpose. Hitting herself lightly on the head as she says "teehee", saying she is such a klutz, super powers that come out of nowhere, running towards the aliens thinking that it is a movie like she has down syndrome or something, did not make laugh as much as cause pain to my anime taste sensors. And the idea that they apparently all knew her hero name but could recognise her somehow.
Bango

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
She's apparently not the first Wonder Momo, so that covers the name thing. But yeah, "cause pain to my anime taste sensors" is a pretty good description. If parody of campy was a new concept I'd give it some points but we've seen loads of these before, many much older, that did far better. Heck, I still have my copy of Shinesmen.

It did make me wish for a non-H Evil Woman Executive anime, though. And that's a very odd thing for a show to make one wish for.

Now I'm terrified this staff will get a hold of a property I'm a big fan of:(
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:29 pm Reply with quote
It was awful, on par with Pupa imo so far this season. Almost nothing made sense but that's just me. On another note, this show is only 5 minutes each.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
On another note, this show is only 5 minutes each.

I made it half-way through the episode before I had to get away from it because of the mental pain. I'll try to finish it either later today or tomorrow.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Finally got around to watching and while it isn't great I got a decent laugh out of it. She accepts and uses her powers with the idiot confidence of a retro character like A-Ko.

I have no problem with such a purposefully stupid show like this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:23 am Reply with quote
Reminds of Moldiver, but I wish it'd go more into Angel Blade territory.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1