• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Centaur's Life GN 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conner Crooks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Am I allowed to admit that I liked the "first" chapter (which I believe was a manga competition entry meant to be a standalone, just like the first chapter of Mysterious Girlfriend X)?

That's quite correct, actually! The "first chapter" for our release of A Centaur's Life was actually a one-shot that Murayama-sensei drew, and it was only then picked up for serialization afterward.

So just want to remind readers that there is actually a good reason for the disconnect in tone between the starting of the manga, and the rest of the series. Albeit, there are certainly fanservice moments, but I've always been under the impression they're dealt with in a completely tasteful manner, and even as tongue-in-cheek humor.
gedata

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Mr_42

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:

It really, really is.
And because of the points that are raised in the article i think the C+ artwork rating might be a little harsh? Indeed, it is common knowledge that horses and their constituent parts are notoriously hard to draw well.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I will use my imagination and picture the girls room squat toilets to be big enough to park a Volkswagon Polo inside without touching the walls.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:16 am Reply with quote
I just viewed chapter one as a lil story about a girl not being confident with her anatomy and getting reassurances from some close friends. While I've personally not had any friends I've felt close enough with to address such concerns i know there are people out there that have such relationships and even ones that far exceed the simple "take a look at this, is it weird to you" moments.

anyway its not even graphic and if that chapter is all it takes to get you to give up on the series you cant have been all that interested in the series in the first place, you gotta give stuff a fair chance.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:49 am Reply with quote
So... were would it be, anyway?
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:58 pm Reply with quote
^ In the expected position, below the tail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
^ In the expected position, below the tail.
And slighty above the anus, like with all land based mammals.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Don't you mean below?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Don't you mean below?
Depends on your point of view. Wink
melmouth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I look at it this way, if it's a manga about a centaur girl aimed at a mature seinen male audience, you're going to have certain questions about centaur anatomy and I kind of applaud Kei Murayama for answering that question right off the bat...

Of course! It was a great way to start a manga.

I'm an old guy who took up reading manga a few years ago because, after a lifetime consuming USA stories, I was just totally burned out with them. But I don't understand the translated-manga audience at all. In all the manga I've read the only thing that's offended me was the endless slaughter of girls in "Elfen Lied".

I wonder whether fans of translated mange are so easily offended by sexual matters because the world of the West (or of the USA?) has become much more moralistic since my youth---or is it that the audience here is mainly very young so they're easily grossed out?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
melmouth wrote:
Quote:
I look at it this way, if it's a manga about a centaur girl aimed at a mature seinen male audience, you're going to have certain questions about centaur anatomy and I kind of applaud Kei Murayama for answering that question right off the bat...

Of course! It was a great way to start a manga.

I'm an old guy who took up reading manga a few years ago because, after a lifetime consuming USA stories, I was just totally burned out with them. But I don't understand the translated-manga audience at all. In all the manga I've read the only thing that's offended me was the endless slaughter of girls in "Elfen Lied".

I wonder whether fans of translated mange are so easily offended by sexual matters because the world of the West (or of the USA?) has become much more moralistic since my youth---or is it that the audience here is mainly very young so they're easily grossed out?
Just how many, and in what genre, have you read so far, and who said they were offended anyway? If "A Centaur's Life" was targeted to "mature seinen males" explaination would not be needed. That should tell you why the mangaka felt he needed to add an explaination. How many teenagers know about mammal anatomy, especially in Tokyo? BTW I'm an old guy too. Wink
PockyCrusader

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I felt that the first chapter handled a situation that could have easily turned into something straight out of a hentai very tastefully and delicately. It was more realistic (to me) that a girl would go to her friends with this kind of problem because she might be uncomfortable discussing it with her parents or another adult who might start giving her the whole 'birds and bees' talk. She just wanted assurance from her peers that she was "normal" and "acceptable".

But what I really like about this series is the world building. It's interesting to see how the different races would handle every day stuff like using public bathrooms or taking a shirt off over wings. I think that the author/artist put a lot of thought into it.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:20 am Reply with quote
It didn't offend me, but it was surprising, mostly because the rest of the book didn't cover anything similar.

Okay, actually, as a woman, my first thought was, "Do guys really think girls do stuff like that?" And my second was, "Wait, do other girls do stuff like that?" Laughing
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:27 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Banken wrote:
Don't you mean below?
Depends on your point of view. Wink

...not really... as long as said land mammal is standing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3