• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Dropping the Ball on Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote
jcaliff wrote:
In addition to a lot of the other titles listed in this thread, I would have liked to have seen the rest of Salaryman Kintaro

Uh, we got all of Salaryman Kintaro. ArtsMagic did release the entire 20-episode anime, and we even got at least one of the movies. Hell, we technically even got the entire original manga, though it was only via an extremely annoying digital-only system.
NorthWest Media

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
it's just too bad there's only one network that even looks at broadcast anime, and the potheads there won't even crack open a window to look at kid's titles or mainstream comedies.

I wonder who that could be.....?
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:
Conan though for people in L.A. or Orange County of California with digital cable do have access to a Japanese channel that subtitles episodes in English (albeit you can tell the rush jobs sometimes) every weekend. At least they did while I was living there. (I miss the JP channels a lot.).

I think you're talking about the UTB Hollywood channel (which you can still watch on Digital TV in the SoCal area), which, at the time of launch, showed series that are/were licensed from Bandai/Nozomi/etc.

http://utbhollywood.com/en/anime/index.php

(A list that I can remember that they did show were Haruhi, The Third, True Tears, Sola, Fantastic Children, Dice, Eureka 7, and even the entire 3 separate Lupin series (and some others I can't remember at the moment). Of course Detective Conan/Case Closed is still going, with different varieties of other titles in that channel lately.)
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Sailor S wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

But what Viz Media did ( hack them to make them kid friendly ) to Eyeshield 21,Blue Dragon, Prince of Tennis , MAR , and especially Gash Bell was GOD FORSAKEN AWFUL!

But Viz didn't release Eyeshield 21, that was Sentai.

Actually they did had the license at one time. it mainly showed on toonami jetstream. and like the others series that cropped down as kids shows, it was really bad. and it because it was so bad they stopped dubbing for like 6 eps i believe and then dropped the license completely.

lucky for them , they didn't do that to naruto ,otherwise they would have been compared to 4kids.

NJ_ wrote:
@Sailor S: jr's obviously talking about the English dub for Eyeshield which is completely off-topic.

actually it is in a way. viz had the license, and after dubbing a small amount of eps they completely drop the license. similar to a lot of series here.

That was basically a test dub done by the Japanese. It aired on Toonami Jetstream as a test, and since no one liked it, they never really did anything with it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Geo: I supported Kintaro, anyway. Only chance to finish it.
aquadon1963

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Monster ,Kodocha ,Squid Girl , 2nd Season Higurashi ,Gintama(needs english dub),Fighting Spirit, Maison Ikkoku
Toradora(needs english dub),hunter X hunter (orig +2012)
,Bakuman,Full Moon o,ZSZS (needs eng dub)
i mean all these shows are in the TOP 400 of all time ratings here on Bayesian A.N.N. US. and MANY MANY OTHERS (in the top 500-1000 that are still waiting just a dub
so how do the publishing/licensing companies decide on which franchises they should release here in the U.S.
and which ones to go the extra mile and to give it and english dub…or which should be re-released and /or finished …..
i can see some of the series that sadly are rated 1000 or 2000th worse to be given up on but MAN!!! it seems to me bad business ALL THE WAY AROUND you've got us the fans /the original creators/music /V.Os (JP & ENG) animators/production Co's ect. that we can't get together and get some of this stuff completed … Like AnmEigo did with Bubblegum crisis… myself i don't watch streaming because from what i heard it doesn't support the industry much at all compared to buying discs…i do understand though that it gets the word out /raises awareness so to speak
Tsukento

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
Pretty sure AnimEigo said they didn't get the rest of Yawara because they simply couldn't.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

And I also loved Geneon's Lupin dub. At the very least they managed to pronounce Lupin's name properly, unlike a certain other dub I could mention.

It didn't bother me on how the name was pronounced as "Lu-pen" as oppose to "Lu-pon" for the Lupin movies that Funimation licensed a while back. At least it was pronouce with an "L" sound. By the time they did license a Woman Called Fujiko they did have Lupin's name pronounced as "Lu-pon". Even on one of the audio commentaries, the staff and voice actors were aware of this and did apologize for having Lupin's name pronounce as "Lu-pen". Also there's plenty of other English dubs out there that either pronounce a character's name differently or spell it differently. I remember being tired of correcting someone for thinking that Captain Harlock is pronounced as "Herlock". Or some non-Pokémon fan pronouncing Pokémon as "Poke-man".
Utterly ridiculous of the fans to expect to hear an "o" sound from an "i". The Engrish found in abundance in anime over the years must have warped their minds.

Just because the Japanese mispronounce the hell out of it, and/or couldn't be bothered to spell the character's name to elicit their desired pronunciation from anyone with even just a cursory education in the English language, doesn't mean that we should have to.
irishninja

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
Great article as always, Mike! I have all of the Kodocha that was released on DVD here in the States, but until reading this I never knew that wasn't all of the show. Ah well, I will just have to enjoy what we have.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
@Echo_City: Tell that to all those weirdos who mispronounce "Deborah" as "Debra" and "Geoffrey" "Jeffery".
KendoGirl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:31 am Reply with quote
I'm sad about the lack of Sailor Moon Sailor Stars but I can understand why it would have been difficult to complete with the dubbing issues presented by the Stars characters' gender and the licensing falling deep down into hell...

I'd love to see Dr. Slump and Shin-chan make a comeback. I fear that the original Dr Slump is now too old to get a dub but the 90s series could get a dub and still do well. I'm looking forward to the licensed movies though and hope it paves the way for the rest of it.

I never saw much of Monster Rancher but I remember watching it eagerly like all anime I saw in the early 2000s lol

I'd love to see Corrector Yui complete colllections, both of the anime and the manga. It really appealed to me but living in Australia manga was so expensive back then so I never got to do any more than wistfully glance at the cover art at my local bookshop!
Oraculo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:29 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Like, who do you suppose bought the last couple of volumes of Sohryuden from U.S. Manga Corps?!

Umm, me? Embarassed No, seriously, I did, on VHS no less. Shocked *sighs* Yeah, I'm old. Crying or Very sad
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:04 am Reply with quote
KendoGirl wrote:
I'd love to see Dr. Slump and Shin-chan make a comeback. I fear that the original Dr Slump is now too old to get a dub but the 90s series could get a dub and still do well. I'm looking forward to the licensed movies though and hope it paves the way for the rest of it.

Except that FUNimation has said in more than one occasion that they're not interested in Dr. Slump and that goes for the 90s series too for the exact same reason (a bit sad because like with Arale in Dragon Ball, this show had a Goku appearance). At this point a sub-only box set or two of that series would be the best that we get if Discotek goes for it after finishing with the movies.
marshall2000_uk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Great Article

I actually have all the Master Keaton DVDs, I bought them off ebay and Amazon about 2/3 year ago.

I've only ever watched one disc as I struggled to get into it.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Isn't Lupin's name supposed to be pronounced "Lieu-pahn" though?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9