• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Dropping the Ball on Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Isn't Lupin's name supposed to be pronounced "Lieu-pahn" though?

Or LIEU-pahhhhn, if you happen to be Fujiko. Or Tomo Takino. Very Happy
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
On the subject of the pronunciation of "Lupin":
If the encyclopedia is right and the title of the original manga is "ルパン三世" then it looks to me like it should be pronounced Rupan.
I would guess that Lupin is used in English because he is supposed to be the nephew of the equally fictional Arsène Lupin.
How do the French pronounce "Lupin"?

On the topic of dropped shows, the two that I would like most to be revived are Case Closed and Sgt. Frog because they are two of my favorite anime and manga.
I love the dub for Sgt. Frog. I have watched everything that Funimation has released at least four times.
I would also like to have Corrector Yui completed. Not because it is a favorite, though I do like it, but because I have read the manga adaptation and I want to see if the ending is the same as the anime.
Of course I do realize that it will almost certainly never happen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
This is fairly common in other countries too with various foreign (to them) TV shows, etc. I know Japan only got the first 105 episodes of the 80s TMNT series, and it was still considered a hit. It being shown on TV Tokyo helped with that (apparently it's expensive to show non-Japanese programs on non-pay TV). The 2003 series wasn't a hit though, and they only got 52 episodes. That's just one example.

Polycell wrote:
@Echo_City: Tell that to all those weirdos who mispronounce "Deborah" as "Debra" and "Geoffrey" "Jeffery".

Geoffrey is my name, and it's pronounced "Jeffrey." Wink It's the correct pronunciation (without the o, the G would have a hard "Guh" sound to it). Sorry, but I'm very defensive about my name (I've had to spell and explain it my whole life. It's hard to live in the US with it, when it's far more common in other English-speaking countries). Razz And before you bring it up, the Game of Thrones character's name is spelled "Joffrey." Not quite the same... Heck, just HEARING that brings up bad memories of being teased in Elementary school.

And Lupin is supposed to be pronounced "Loo-pahn," based on the original French pronunciation (the character is named after Maurice LeBlanc's Lupin crime novel hero. "Lupin" is French for "Wolf.") "Loo-pin" is how a US speaker would naturally pronounce the name, but it's not correct if you want to keep it true to the Japanese (who pronounce it "Roo-pahn") and the French pronunciations.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:29 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
"Loo-pin" is how a US speaker would naturally pronounce the name, but it's not correct if you want to keep it true to the Japanese (who pronounce it "Roo-pahn") and the French pronunciations.

A US speaker's pronunciation cannot be kept true to both of those pronunciations as they are, despite what spin the Japanese might try and put on it, quite different.

Since we're giving the Japanese a pass on this-ironic as they're the ones who put this name into the work in the first place-then why don't we afford the US dub the same "leeway"?
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote
To be very fair, we all know how the Japanese language is with Rs and Ls. They are at least attempting to remain true to the original French word (that's what they're going for at least), which would be the correct way to say it. Fortunately, all non-FUNimation Lupin dubs get the pronunciation right (sans those that couldn't use the name).
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Fortunately, all non-FUNimation Lupin dubs get the pronunciation right (sans those that couldn't use the name).

The Streamline dub of Mystery Of Mamo pronounced him as "Loo-pin" too so there's an exception. As for FUNi, they did get it right for the Fujiko dub pronouncing him as "Loo-pahn".
LikaLaruku

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:49 am Reply with quote
Well, now I know why I can't find Kodocha 52 dubbed....I usually avoid dubs but the English voices were perfect & the dub was just so good.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
I remember how dissapointed I was when I got to the end of season 1 of Kodocha to see that Funimation stopped dubbing it. And after season 1 I absolutely fell in love with the dub cast I couldn't bring myself to watching season 2. It was a sad day for me.
stephen12

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
what are great article. Thanks for sharing, looking forward for more articles. Very Happy
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:15 am Reply with quote
It doesn't surprise me. Mike summed up my feelings about Kodocha pretty well; though I didn't buy any more discs after the first one because having silent spots in a track on a dvd is absolutely unacceptable and not worth my money and the awful dub isn't worth my money either.

Viz could not have treated my sacred Full Moon any worse than they did (seriously there are spelling mistakes in the subs and the dub is nothing short of terrible) so yeah, of course people aren't gonna buy it when the fansub groups did a far stellar job.

I ended up buying the R2 imports anyway...
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:24 am Reply with quote
katscradle wrote:

Conan though for people in L.A. or Orange County of California with digital cable do have access to a Japanese channel that subtitles episodes in English (albeit you can tell the rush jobs sometimes) every weekend. At least they did while I was living there. (I miss the JP channels a lot.)
They still do, on channel 18.2 where i live in California. i think the channel is called UTV/NHK World. They show Sherlock Hound as well.

I bought Galaxy Railways and enjoyed it. Shame we never got season 2, but at the very least the OVA is available as a rather cheap region A Chinese Blu ray with English subtitles. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007YXM22A/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A24IW5IVKDB8D6

The anime that I wanted finished was Stratos 4. We got the original series and first OVA, which is cool, but we missed out on Advance, which tied up a lot of loose ends from the original series. Its a shame Squid Girl season 2 wasn't released, but at least season 1 was released in its entirety. Oh, and Yu-Gi-Oh, Shaman King and Spider Riders(subbed). I want those, at least 5D's and Zexal. hopefully NewVideo releases those.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't addressed in the article but you did bring up on twitter about Aura Battler Dunbine OVAs remaining unreleased(though we did get Garzey's Wing & Wings of Rean), I'd love to see them. I'll admit I haven't even seen fansubs, just raws Sad

Not the same but I was disappointed that Tokyopop bailed on the Saint Tail dub halfway thru the series, my wife & daughter were enjoying it up to that point, subs just aren't as fun for a 4 year old. I am glad they finished it, though tracking down some of those volumes wasn't easy.

We were also hoping for Sailor Moon Stars too, had pretty much given up on it but the 20th anniversary merch is selling well & with the new series looming - who knows?
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:31 am Reply with quote
First, I know I'm necroposting, but I somehow missed this entry of the column for several weeks, and I have a bunch of hopefully useful information to impart.

First, is there a comprehensive list of anime series which have incomplete releases in North America? I personally have compiled one of hentai (Incomplete hentai series/Incomplete R1 releases database (browse: EditGrid / Google Docs); last updated 7 February 2012) and the Catalog Check Update and Supplement (a list of anime which was released in North America on VHS and whether it has been re-released on Laserdisc and/or DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Disc; currently offline due to the demise of the Mania.com/Anime on DVD forums until I can repost it), but I'm unaware of a truly comprehensive list.

belvadeer [p. 2] wrote:
Quote:
Like, who do you suppose bought the last couple of volumes of Sohryuden from U.S. Manga Corps?!

I didn't buy them from U.S. Manga Corps directly (I got them from one of the bargain boxes at AX 2009), but do I have the entire Sohryuden DVD set. Am I the guilty one? ^^;

Oraculo [p. 8] wrote:
Quote:
Like, who do you suppose bought the last couple of volumes of Sohryuden from U.S. Manga Corps?!

Umm, me? Embarassed No, seriously, I did, on VHS no less. Shocked *sighs* Yeah, I'm old. Crying or Very sad

I also bought them on VHS, and then upgraded to the DVD box set.

PurpleWarrior13 [p. 3] wrote:

For shorter, permanently stable TRSI URls, use http://www.rightstuf.com/i/[SKU]

E.g., http://www.rightstuf.com/i/025192206412 for the Saint Seiya DVD Sanctuary Classic Collection. These URLs work even after the item has been discontinued.

MeggieMay [p. 4] wrote:
Eric12 - I believe the lack of JP credit music on Kodocha had more to do with it being a Johnny's show when it came to the music. Funimation even had to cut music used in-show because of that issue. [Johnny's is a nick name for Johnny & Associates - a very powerful music music company in Japan that is said to pretty much refuse to allow the things they have control of to be licensed outside of Japan; or at least to North America; or at least throws up enough road blocks to cause a lot of problems for everyone in the general world entertainment industry to try to steer clear of them if they can. Not sure what is really going on with them other than I do believe there is a legit problem and it extends way outside of anime music licensing being the sole issue (and it's more than just asking way too much money, as well). ]

See the Answerman columns here (which actually covers the same topic as the column we are discussing here) and (especially) here for a bit more information.

PurpleWarrior13 [p. 5] wrote:
I communicated with Tom Wayland (the ADR director of Mew Mew Power) through Facebook a few years ago. He confirmed the dub was canceled because 4Kids could not get a merchandise deal for the show, despite high ratings (he said toy companies thought 52 episodes was too short).

See the Wikipedia article "Strip programming" for a background on why the toy companies turned down the show.

E-Master [p. 6] wrote:
Geneon… the company went under in 2007

Technically they didn't "go under", but (like Bandai Entertainment later on) quit the market. For a fuller explanation, see the essay "The End of the World Again" in Schoolgirl Milky Crisis: Adventures in the Anime and Manga Trade, pp. 391–393, or the ANNCast episode "The Life and Kime of Geneon, USA".

Shiroi Hane [p. 7] wrote:
We had some fun times here in the UK caused by things like US companies shutting down, video chains collapsing and the like.

If you were Red Garden in the UK then you had a bit of a wait to see the end; MVM released it as a complete collection 5 years after ADV UK cancelled their volume 4. MVM released Pumpkin Scissors at the same time - ADV only got a single volume into that one back in 2008.

Err—actually ADV Films released all but the last disc in North America—I know because I own them: volumes 1, 2 (+ box), 3, 4, 5, and 6 (by FUNimation; see what I mean about permanent links?). Ignore the "Publisher - SECTION23 FILMS" line and pay attention to the ADV Films logos on the cover images instead.

Touma [p. 9] wrote:
How do the French pronounce "Lupin"?

Wiktionary says "lew-puh" (with an implied final "n"), while the Nouveau dictionnaire anglais-français et français-anglais (1862) says "lew-pahn".

kevinx59 [p. 9] wrote:
I bought Galaxy Railways and enjoyed it. Shame we never got season 2, but at the very least the OVA is available as a rather cheap region A Chinese Blu ray with English subtitles. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007YXM22A/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_10?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A24IW5IVKDB8D6

In the same vein as the TRSI short URLs, see the "Amazon Standard Identification Number" Wikipedia article; the above link can be rendered http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007YXM22A .
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9