• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Dropping the Ball on Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpoilerHappy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Good article. While I was sorely disappointed that Full Moon wasn't completed, Corrector Yui was the one that really irritated me as they didn't even complete the first season and left it hanging with only 2 disks to go.

Kudos to Tokyopop back back in the day for finishing Saint Tail after a not-so-successful launch (albeit without a dub for the latter half).
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the other hand, jeez, would it kill them to release the second half of Galaxy Railways?! The thing is, Galaxy Railways is likely to remain half-finished in the US for two reasons. ...

I have Galaxy Railways and it's a lesson in why I now always take a wait and see approach to some anime.

This article covered the other publishers but missed Sentai with their dropped shows: Eyeshield 21, Glass Mask, and Gintama.

When the cancellation is from financial issues like MB, I'm not so worried, because eventually another publisher can pick up the license, as I'm sure will happen later with Squid Girl
superstarvolve

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
:) I really was excited when Corrector Yui came onto DVD in 2003...it was the first DVD my parents bought for me...I was soo disappointed that only 18 episodes were subtitled and there are no fansubs for it...I finally watched it in the RAW and finished all the episodes...I wish VIZ would finish it
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Almost every week i come across this stuff some of my favourite series that have been released are the ones that have been canceled.
Also you kinda have to come to the sad conclusion that anything that's long is already a problem to begin with unless it's Naruto or Bleach even One Piece did seem to go that way after season 3 but funi got it going now.
but what i'm trying to get at is your basically selling your product to the same people over and over and and they would buy a set of 26 episodes but that limited group is going to drop a series they not really like so sales numbers would go down more and more untill there is not much left of that first volume sales.

Or things like that stupid company named S'more they messed up Galaxy express and BOBOBOBOBOBOBO while this where things that Discotec's name was written all over it they probabbly gonna have a hard time releasing it now.
I still sent a desprate mail to the folks at s'more to please release more Galaxy express but i got a reply saying it was there worst preforming release ever since they put so many episodes on 1 dvd the quality just wasn't there (i recall Speed racer having the same problem though) i did clearly see that myself but i still wanted more regardless how it looked but i was one of the few who would have bought that second set ...

I have also always wonderd why a series like DR slump with his Dragonball background isn't even released or what about more of shin-chan that series is also great funi is never going to catch up with it if it isn't going to be canceled in a few years.

At least i'm happy to find out through this article that monster is being released in Australia they have already announced up to 3 volumes so they going to relese it all well there getting my money.
Collectonian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Viz's incomplete release of Full Moon is probably the one that has bugged me the most of those. They put all the episodes up for streaming making it clear they had subbed the whole thing! To me, that would seem to be the biggest expense so I don't get why they didn't just toss all 52 eps in a budget release - heck even a "print on demand" style one like the Discovery shows sometimes do.

I was glad, at least, that I got to watch it with my sweetie. When I saw the expiration date pop up on the digital releases, it became our next show to watch - we finished the week before the episodes were pulled. Maybe Viz got tired of the multiple people asking about DVDs on their Facebook ever week. *shrug*

I also really wish Sailor Stars would be released here. I never realized that it was Toei that decided not to let it come over versus Pioneer/Geneon. I'd be curious to know if any other company has ever tried to "rescue" that license, or if it's just not happening at this point.
treatment

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm still hoping for the totally darker and better 2nd-half of Tennimon (I'm Gonna Be An Angel) even after all these years to get released in the US with the crazy awesome english-dubs. Anime smile;

Synch-Point/Broccoli totally bunged that title's release in the US.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
As the only person I know who really likes Rumbling Hearts (aka Kimi ga Nozomu Eien), I'm disappointed but not really surprised that the 4-episode OVA sequel ~next season~ never got picked up here.

There's a reason for that.

It was terrible.

I'm saying this as a huge KimiNozo and Âge nut in general. If you were going to do something like that, you could actually make it fit. Next Season didn't. Half of the characters I found were totally OOC and it even made me hate characters who I absolutely loved in the anime and the visual novel.

It was just....bad. So much rage was had with Next Season.
daichi383

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Man i'm still quite upset about the Bakuman thing. That was my first import too. The punchline to that joke came when the UK release ended up having TERRIBLE subs. Still bought it but it was hard to follow so i ended up just buying it and watching fansubs of the episodes i had. Way too much work to enjoy one show.
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
For those speaking on part of the Full Moon fiasco, yeah, I agree, I enjoyed it (as much as I even used to had some of the manga series [from the same author] as well, yet donated to a new home, lol.), kinda dull they canned it halfway on the DVD release (would have been nice for a complete set), and the dub was good too, I'd be surprised if they did dub it all but didn't bother to put them all up.

(Despite watching the rest of it on Hulu subbed and the English credits came up though. Surprised now the stream license to it there is gone. Good thing to already watch it all beforehand, them's the breaks, I guess.)

The biggest ball drop to me was Mermaid Melody, despite a short promo vid for the English release, it sadly never happen, because no TV station or anything would want to pick it up (they even showed backstage recordings and merchandise stuff, but that was different). Course this was before ADV became S-23 (and its subsidiaries), but oh well.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
treatment wrote:
I'm still hoping for the totally darker and better 2nd-half of Tennimon (I'm Gonna Be An Angel) even after all these years to get released in the US with the crazy awesome english-dubs. Anime smile;

Thankfully, Animax aired the whole series in Latin America, but I'd really like to own it on DVD or Blu-ray. It's one of the best-looking shows of the '90s, and an HD remaster would make those backgrounds and colors look even more gorgeous.

daichi383 wrote:
Man i'm still quite upset about the Bakuman thing. That was my first import too. The punchline to that joke came when the UK release ended up having TERRIBLE subs. Still bought it but it was hard to follow so i ended up just buying it and watching fansubs of the episodes i had. Way too much work to enjoy one show.

I'm still hopeful that Viz or Sentai will license-rescue it at some point. As long as they don't split each season in 4 volumes like Media Blasters intended to, I think it would sell decently.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Like, who do you suppose bought the last couple of volumes of Sohryuden from U.S. Manga Corps?!

I didn't buy them from U.S. Manga Corps directly (I got them from one of the bargain boxes at AX 2009), but do I have the entire Sohryuden DVD set. Am I the guilty one? ^^;

*Dragon League was one fantasy sports series I wanted to finish all the way to the end. All they released was one subbed two-episode VHS. So, all I got to see was the first two episodes. It's such an interesting world, populated by humans and anthropomorphic animals, all united by their love of soccer. I know there are episodes on YouTube, but I don't understand Indonesian. What can I do? *shrug*

*And damn straight I'm frustrated about Detective Conan getting the plug pulled here. I'm thankful we have such dedicated groups fansubbing the TV episodes as well as the movies and the fact we're still getting the manga (thank goodness for that), but I liked the dub voices too. I was hoping Funi would return to it, but I guess that's asking too much. It's funny you call it "action-packed" Mike when some people complained it was just a bunch of people standing around talking about the murder scene (their definition of "detective" must have been mixed up with "action cop movie" or something).

*It seriously sucks nothing's been done about Monster. I was fortunate to have seen almost the entire series on Scy-Fy when they used to air anime a couple years ago (missed a few when I was in South Korea). It's a really damn good series for what it did.

Unfinished releases really suck sometimes. You're either forced to watch subs/un-subbed raws or just give up on the series entirely.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:31 pm Reply with quote
treatment wrote:

Huh, and here I was thinking I was the only person who bought those releases. Well, I'm pretty certain that less than 100 of us did at any rate. I remember hearing the sales were quite abysmal. Which is a shame, since as you pointed out, the second half is really where it hits its stride. I've seen it fansubbed, but they were some pretty bad fansubs so I really wish I could have had even just DVD quality.

On another note, in regards to Sailor Moon, Stars and Ami's First Love weren't the only parts to be missing. There's also episode 67 from Sailor Moon R that was never included in the ADV release. It was a pretty bad episode, focusing on the Pink Spore befriending some dinosaur. They didn't even fight any MotD, so it really was an unimportant episode, but it's still odd that it was cut out from the US release.

Also, count me among those disappointed that Full Moon and Hikaru no Go were never finished. I mean, Viz has already done all the work, why on earth couldn't they just plop them all on a no frills budget release set and call it a day?
ladybastet

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
Funimation put out limited edition sets of the first 2 seasons of D. Grayman and I really liked it but where is the rest? Why go the LE route if the rest will never arrive? I would like the rest of Galaxy Railway, too. One more solitary vote in a huge empty basket. oh, well.
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Let us not forget Cyborg 009 which only had the first 8 episodes released in the U.S. while the UK and Australia got the first 25 episodes at least. Heck only the first 47 episodes ever aired on TV in the U.S. while Australia got to air episode 48 and God's War.

Their uncut release of Cyborg 009 wasn't really uncut because a certain line that Cyborg 0010 says to the cyborgs was edited. They also released an editied edition which included the Spanish dub.

I'm still hoping that someday we'll get a Cyborg 009 DVD boxset or Sony could at least stream the series on their Crackle site. With 009 Re Cyborg licensed by Funi, Archia's reboot comic of Cyborg 009, and the 50th Anniversary of the Cyborg 009 series now would be a good time to give us a DVD release.

Another series that never got a finished release was Soar High Isami which was licensed by Hirameki International only got 3 volumes released. I enjoyed that series and I'm hoping Discotek might eventually rescue it.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It's hard to keep fans interested in a series with that formula, especially since this was back in the middle of the 2000s, when anime dorks were still buying single discs for $20ish each. Fans were bummed out when Funimation announced they opted not to pick up the second season in 2007, but to me it didn't come as much of a surprise.

I like how the column ignores the elephant in the room, which is that American fans were more willing to pirate Kodocha than pay for it legally.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9