• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Director Collet-Serra Hopes Live-Action Akira Will Be His Next Work

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote
nynextew wrote:
Rahxephon91 wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Why can't they just kill this all ready its all ready going to suck
Why is it going to suck?

I can only assume this is based on Serra's track record. None of his movies have been stupendous....
He's no doubt a journey man director, but it's not like the movies he directed are terrible. They are all competent. Besides, the material at best is average. The material for Akira is above average.

I'm not going to hate on the guy for starting out with a teen horror movie.

The real problem comes from budget and yes the fact that the director hasn't made movies that aren't normal thrillers. They don't require real interesting visuals so in that regard his resume is'nt great.

Still he needs budget and the reason this project has stalled is budget concerns. If Akira is'nt being given at least 100million that could be a problem. It shouldn't look like a cheap movie. Hell, it shouldn't look like a cg set movie either. Half of this movie will live and die on visuals and atmosphere. If Neo Tokyo or whatever dosen't look like Blade Runner then good luck.

Still I think most people think it will suck based purely on the fact that it's an American Live Action Adaptation. If the people behind it actually care about crafting a good Akira movie, that should easily dispell that notion.

Though, I can't tell if this guy cares. I mean he is still working on it, but who knows.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Alexander55

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
He's saying that Anime and Manga characters have "no depth" because he wants an excuse to cast a mostly American cast into a unique Japanese classic. He doesn't want to cast many Asians because of the Hollywood logic that non-caucasian male lead films don't sell.

If it weren't for the characters(especially in the Manga), the series wouldn't be what it is. The characters are just as important as the plot is. Without them, it just wouldn't be Akira. The same can be said with Death Note, Bleach, Dragonball, and many other similar Anime/Manga classics whose characters sport just as much depth as the backstory/plot as their series does.

Because of this director's statement, he has essentially conceded that he is going to develop the next "Dragonball Evolution." And we all know Dragonball Evolution wasn't exactly spectacular. If the characters didn't matter so much, why was DB Evolution such a failure? Ask yourself before hearing the misguided mouth of a fool who has absolutely no knowledge of the Anime/Manga medium.

MajinSaga wrote:
Well compared to comic book characters, anime and manga characters are ants in comparison in terms of "power".

American comic books have their share of memorable characters and stories but are no where near as good as Anime/Manga.

Problem with comic books is that they aren't diversified enough. The top-selling comics are mostly big time franchises from Marvel/DC, many whose franchises have climbed up to fame and into the American mainstream conscious through film/game/animation tie ups and not because of the actual comics themselves. Marvel and DC are popular because of the films, not the comics. Comics are niche in America and their popularity is solely relegated there. Anime and Manga are a worldwide phenomenon, which dates back to the early 90's when grassroots movements from curious fans and small businesses brought an small but steady flow of titles. Some were legally translated, some were not. But point is, there was interest in them. American comics don't have the same grassroots effect as Anime/Manga do because there isn't enough enthusiasm for them. Comics are mostly about superheroes with a handful of franchise tie-ins. Some franchise based comics are good and equal to their Anime/Manga counterparts. Some are not. There isn't enough comics outside of aforementioned genres to make the American comics truly equal to their Japanese counterparts.

Marvel/DC and a handful of other comic book publishers have to release their titles to get them known and the sales are too miniscule to generate profit in foreign regions outside of America and India.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Alexander55 wrote:
Problem with comic books is that they aren't diversified enough. The top-selling comics are mostly big time franchises from Marvel/DC...

Yes. They need to be more like Japan where the top-selling comics are mostly big time franchises from Shounen Jump.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Alexander55 wrote:
Problem with comic books is that they aren't diversified enough. The top-selling comics are mostly big time franchises from Marvel/DC...

Yes. They need to be more like Japan where the top-selling comics are mostly big time franchises from Shounen Jump.
Yeah at this point I just ignore posts about American comic books on here. They just come from people who don't know anything.

Manga is not better. Comic books are not better. To say one has better stories or characters over the other is dumb. Some of the best comics put out by creators are some of the smartest and challenging things out there. Things like Saga are beaming with creativity. Hell right now is an amazing for creator owned comics of which there are so many of quality and variety. They aren't selling too bad.

People also give super hero comics a bad rep, but that's a shame. Even superhero comics can take on many forums. Batman can be high adventure and horror. Most importantly the stories can be amazing and the characters more then just memorable.

Just because you like and prefer manga dosent mean you need to trash other comics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:05 pm Reply with quote
The running joke of LIVE ACTION ANIME, especially Akira, Gunnm, Ghost in the Shell or any other hokey Anime Classic to Hollywood bomb, has gotten old. Stop it! Do not add another title to the bargain bin.

Kickstart the project if you really think it could work. These are decade old rumors that do nothing more than annoy the piss out of what tiny fanbase they happen to have left.

Supply and demand. What demand is there for Akira, atm? WTF.

I want to make a movie called Hollywood vs Anime: The completist saga to bad ideas. Vol 1. I can't wait to get that off the ground. Chist!

No wait. That would require effort. No instead I'm going to HOPE I'M the director of the Live action Akira and bring it to a crowded market that has no appreciative value for anything that isn't two season of the next mindless watch-a-thon on Netflix or any other streaming service.

The world has changed and each of the Live action movies that have followed have always failed. Get serious.

What a tease.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The running joke of LIVE ACTION ANIME, especially Akira, Gunnm, Ghost in the Shell or any other hokey Anime Classic to Hollywood bomb, has gotten old. Stop it! Do not add another title to the bargain bin.
These aren't hokey titles. These are some of the best in Japanese anime. Some of the most fitting for a live action Hollywood adaptation.

And whats the running joke? There's really nothing unusual here. Movie Adaptations are synonymous with "development hell". It has only so much to do with them being anime source material.

Quote:
Kickstart the project if you really think it could work. These are decade old rumors that do nothing more than annoy the piss out of what tiny fanbase they happen to have left.
Yes, you're right these movies have been in development for a while............like most movies. And why the hell would they kickstart something like this? Make sense please.

Quote:
Supply and demand. What demand is there for Akira, atm? WTF.
Where was the demand for Iron Man movies? There wasn't any and now he's the biggest super hero. Who knew Inception would be such a big hit. People thought Avatar would bomb. It's hard to tell what will take off with people. A relatable story of two friends in a time of social upheaval in the future with some psychic powers. That could easily be a hit.

Quote:
I want to make a movie called Hollywood vs Anime: The completist saga to bad ideas. Vol 1. I can't wait to get that off the ground. Chist!
And it would be an awful book because there's been very very few actual Hollywood adaptations of anime and why would anyone want a book where someone assumes projects are going to be bad almost on principal and for random reasons. Hollywood adaptions of things like Ghost in the Shell, Akira, and Bebop are not bad ideas at all.

Quote:
No wait. That would require effort. No instead I'm going to HOPE I'M the director of the Live action Akira and bring it to a crowded market that has no appreciative value for anything that isn't two season of the next mindless watch-a-thon on Netflix or any other streaming service.
Oh get off it. You just sound like an elitist. People can appreciate all kinds of entertainment. They don't have to know what Akira is to see the movie and think this live action akira is good. If it is good and looks good people will go see it. It's not like people didn't go see mass market quality sci-fi like Inception, Gravity, Avatar and so on. Things without some big property behind them. They went to see them because they looked good and were of some quality. I don't see why the same couldn't happen to Akira.

And when I look at Netflick and whats popular, it's things like the BBC Sherlock. Yeah, not mindless entertainment. Baseless generalizations like this don't make an argument.

Quote:
The world has changed and each of the Live action movies that have followed have always failed. Get serious.
WTF are you talking about?

Yeah the world has changed. Hollywood adaptions of "geeky" properties have gotten great and people have responded well to them.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:50 am Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
TJ_Kat wrote:
No one here knows what hyperbole is? It's laughable that everyone is jumping all over him in some misguided sense of discrimination over something so obviously not meant to be taken literally. Grow up. Does he honestly believe Japanese stories "never have strong characters"? Odds are, no.

To be honest, I tend to agree with him. I've always seen anime as a story-centric media where the characters are kept intentionally bland so as to act as the viewers vehicle into the story. Is this universal? Of course not, but it is very prevalent it the storytelling in manga and anime.

Regarding Akira, I agree with your perspective. I recently finished reading the manga and there wasn't all that much character development. After having watched the anime, I was hoping to learn more about the characters and fill some of the holes but that didn't happen. Most of the characters are fairly one dimensional. Most of the emphasis is put on the story and moving from one set piece to the next. It is very bombastic in its approach. Despite the fact the characters are not well developed, they are certainly really memorable which is a strange thing to say. By making their motives simple and easy to understand, it allows us as the audience to root for them and grow attached in a way. Akira is a rare example where the ideas, events and sheer scope of it all is enough to carry the story on its own.

Well, this is a story only covering the span of several days, not much time for any significant character development to occur.
TJ_Kat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

He stated that the characters of Akira are not strong characters they are just there to exist to spout philosophy.

Wow, you may need to go back and re-read what he said, because that's not it, even if taken literally. I understood what he said to mean they characters are there to move the story forward.

Charred Knight wrote:

He isnt talking about in general, he stated that Kaneda is not really the protagonist which is obvious BS.

To me, the protagonist is the character the story revolves around, the motive for the story. Who does Akira revolve around? No one. The characters are just caught up in the story, their actions dictated by the story's needs. Kaneda just winds up being the main character by virtue of being the person who is present for most of the story.

Ryo Hazuki wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

It seems he meant strong as in very interesting protagonists.

Oh, thanks Sherlock. I'm sure no one would have figured that out without your wisdom.

Considering most of the people who posted before him did not figure that out, I think your comment is uncalled for.
danilo07

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Alexander55 wrote:

The comic book market in Japan is definitely more diversified than the one in America though.Why?Well,creating a manga is much cheaper than creating an American comic book,which allows for more diverse material.And it is not like just Shonen Jump mangas dominate the market,titles like Space Brothers,Saint Young Men and Chihayafuru are huge in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3