• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
List of series that are incomplete in North America

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:48 am Reply with quote
^
I added that volume count to the Lum entry.
Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
It looks like "Kingyo Used Books" should be added to this list, from VIZ's SIg Ikki line. They published the last volume, the 4th out of 15 so far, back in 2011. It looks extremely unlikely that VIZ will be printing any more.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:56 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
It looks like "Kingyo Used Books" should be added to this list, from VIZ's SIg Ikki line. They published the last volume, the 4th out of 15 so far, back in 2011. It looks extremely unlikely that VIZ will be printing any more.

I agree that it is not likely that Viz will continue this, and if they do I can remove it from the list.
I just added it, but I was looking at the encyclopedia entry when I did it so I used 12 for the total volumes. Is the encyclopedia information outdated?
I can easily change it to 15 if that is correct.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

I remember reading from a reliable site that Kingyo Used Books will not continue due to the rights of using the various titles getting too expensive. I wish I can find it....
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:39 am Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

I remember reading from a reliable site that Kingyo Used Books will not continue due to the rights of using the various titles getting too expensive. I wish I can find it....

I remember reading that also. Can't for the life of me remember where though.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

I'd think that stuff like this would fall under "fair use." Ah well, I guess Japanese laws also get their chance to be silly.

It's a shame, too, since it was a great series. I guess the authors of various titles just don't have the "love of manga" that Kingyo would espouse.
lys

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Shaenon Garrity wrote a column about the series that mentioned Viz discontinuing the series because of the rights issue. I don't think I'd heard about it before then but she does/did work for Viz, so she should know:
House of 1000 Manga wrote:
Viz published Kingyo as part of its SigIkki line, but was forced to cancel it after four volumes. It just became too difficult to acquire U.S. reproduction permissions for every manga featured in Kingyo (which hail from a variety of publishers; Kingyo definitely isn't just shilling for its own publisher, Shogakukan, and in one volume Yoshizaki even apologizes for the conflict of interest in plugging a Shogakukan magazine), after the Japanese publishers had already gone around laboriously acquiring the Japanese permissions several years before. Ultimately, Shogakukan gave up and halted the English translation.

Touma wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

I agree that it is not likely that Viz will continue this, and if they do I can remove it from the list.
I just added it, but I was looking at the encyclopedia entry when I did it so I used 12 for the total volumes. Is the encyclopedia information outdated?
I can easily change it to 15 if that is correct.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/金魚屋古書店-16-IKKI-COMIX-せいむ/dp/4091886604
It appears to now be up to v16 in Japan, actually!
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:02 am Reply with quote
I wonder - do you think that Kenji Tsuruta's Spirit of Wonder counts as incomplete? Dark Horse released the Miss China stories, but my Castermann (French) edition is four times as thick with many more mini-series and shorts, all under the "Spirit of Wonder" heading.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:05 am Reply with quote
@ lys
Thanks for the information.
I listed "Kingyo Used Books" as having 16 original volumes, with a note that it is still being published in Japan.

Princess_Irene wrote:
- do you think that Kenji Tsuruta's Spirit of Wonder counts as incomplete?

It looks to me like Dark Horse probably did not release all of it.
We do need the number of volumes though. The encyclodedia does not have the Dark Horse release(s) and shows only one volume in Japan, and three in Spain.

I just noticed that there are now 279 titles on this list.Sad
lys

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:51 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Princess_Irene wrote:
- do you think that Kenji Tsuruta's Spirit of Wonder counts as incomplete?

It looks to me like Dark Horse probably did not release all of it.
We do need the number of volumes though. The encyclodedia does not have the Dark Horse release(s) and shows only one volume in Japan, and three in Spain.

From MangaUpdates (I think it's okay to mention that site? it doesn't directly host scans, and is, along with Amazon JP, my go-to source for information about published manga):

Contains 12 chapters: 9 short stories, and 3 Miss China stories.

1. The Universe is so Vast and Wonderful!
2. Leaving One Night by the Light of the Full Moon
3. To Invoke the Stars
4. Little Melancholy
5. The Young Scientists' Club
6. See You Later, God Willing
7. Marsy in the Land of Time
8. Natsuko
9. The Young Scientist Club on Mars
10. The Melancholy of China
11. China's Wish
12. China Strikes Back

The Japanese edition collects all 12 chapters in one volume. The Spanish edition from Glénat released the full series in 3 volumes. The English edition from Dark Horse published only the Miss China chapters, first in comic format, then in one trade paperback.

The site also lists an "extended edition" in Japan but I don't know what that would contain. I'm not sure if I would count this as an incomplete series, though maybe it fits (or is worth a note anyway) by your standard. Still, I think Dark Horse probably published what it intended to and didn't "drop" the series in the usual way.
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
^
I think that I will take the easy way out and just ignore "Spirit of Wonder" for now.
I can always add it to the list later.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:40 am Reply with quote
DMP has released the second volume of The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat, more than a year and a half after the first volume.
Based on that I think that there is a good chance that they will eventually release the third, and final, volume. But I will leave it on the list, with a note, for now.

Thank you, to the person who left the comment about this on Google.
Touma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:35 pm Reply with quote
I have already noted on the spreadsheet that Maid-sama has been rescued by Viz.

I call that good news.
CheechMonger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
I have already noted on the spreadsheet that Maid-sama has been rescued by Viz.

I call that good news.

I missed this. Good news indeed Very Happy
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:26 am Reply with quote
Galaxy Angel II stopped North American publishing at Vol.3

I waited like 5 years to move to Japan and finish the series. *cries*

Also, it seems J-Pop Idol actually had more volumes than 2. It's just only two were in print. After that, they were digital only.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6