• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Legend of the Galactic Heroes Novels Get New Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting. I've been interested in checking out this franchise for awhile, so hopefully this new anime will let me watch something legally!

Not 100% sure if the whole "not a remake" is meant in the same way here, but with Sailor Moon I always felt it meant that they would be basing the new series on the manga, rather than on the anime (which in that particular case mean there would be some significant differences).

Last edited by marie-antoinette on Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Can't wait to see how bishounen they turn the characters into these days. This has the potential to be a huge fujo series

People said the same thing about Space Battleship Yamato 2199,yet the fanservice it added was minimal.
LoGH is an amazing an anime that has aged superbly,which really puts the new staff members in strange position,where it is very hard to improve the original and impossible to modernize it.I am really interested what they will do.
Quote:
There is a god ! And right after i had mostly written of modern anime. Will new otakus even get the anime ? No moe, fanservice or teenage heroes who go to high school on the side in sight ! Thus it could flop but whore cares the best anime of all time returns.

Again,Space Battleship Yamato 2199!

Not to mention that Macross is also still popular.

LuckyAstei wrote:
umm....I hate to break it to people but all the Main novels were covered in the 110 OVA unless the author has more side stories I don't see how this remake will work.

By re-adapting the novels? I don't get what you're trying to say.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I have not seen any of the original LotGH anime, but you can hardly be an anime fan for any length of time without being at least aware of this legendary title. So I welcome the news its getting a new shot of some description.

I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for more specifics on this project.

Pretty much me as well, rather excited to see this.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:33 pm Reply with quote
New adaptation rather than a remake of the anime. So it's like the new Sailor Moon anime.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Nice!

I really want to see this! I really love LOGH (It's one of my favorite anime), and I'd watch anything related to it, be it a reboot or new matierial in the same continuity or whatever.
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
@rederoin it's more I don't see the need for this remake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
From what I've read, it doesn't seem to be a remake. It says company is adapting parts of the franchise novels that HASN'T been cover yet. Which is fine with me.

I do think this is going be tough for folks who aren't Japan.
The show was never exported out of Japan as far I know of.
I've been lucky to seen the series, it good if you like old school science fiction aka space soup opera. Its not for everyone, watching admirals and fleet commanders make decisions strategic levels and see the results in big glorious space battles with ships. I loved 2D, so far there hasn't been allot of CGI animes done in space that have been done well. Space Battleship 2199 being one best ones recent years. It took YEARS to make the show, hopefully the integrity of novels and hopefully go animation will do it justice.

Given that alot people fans of this genre is few far between, i think there chance we'll get allot of fan service in this. If they want more people watching it.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
It's so odd to me that producers keep having to tell people they're adapting the source material and not re-doing an earlier adaptation. The Sailor Moon folks had to do that too. Are people that dense?

The fact that they sometimes DO re-do earlier adaptations would account for having to say its a new adaptation.

As far as people wanting to get intricate details of which specific scenes and elements from the original material that were not included in the first anime will be included in the new one, and which scenes and elements included in the original anime which will be passed over in the new adaptation ...

... that makes more sense to me in Japan than in English language markets, given how many people have read it in Japan compared to what a limited number of people in English language markets who've read the original material.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news. Looking forward to more of this franchise.

Blood- wrote:
I have not seen any of the original LotGH anime, but you can hardly be an anime fan for any length of time without being at least aware of this legendary title. So I welcome the news its getting a new shot of some description.

I'll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled for more specifics on this project.

If you like sci-fi this is one of best anime to be produced from the genre. I watched all of it last year and would highly recommend it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
What of the LoGH novels wasn't covered by the three OVA series and three features? I haven't seen the prequel OVAs yet, but maybe those needed the re-doing more? Besides, it just ain't LoGH without Kei Tomiyama or Ishiguro. There's a deft handling that I'm not sure many directors could replicate, like the entire Bolero scene from My Conquest.
xyz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:14 pm Reply with quote
I love LoGH to death but for some reasons I couldn't bear to re-watch it. I kind of had a thing for Kircheis. Now, I don't mind a "new" side story involving Reinhard/Kircheis team doing some kind of strategy play against the Alliance or somethin'.

(Oh and Arslan. *kiss*)
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Great news. Bring back the Space Opera!
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
If a new take on it means a chance of an English dub either for the new or for the old, I'm all for it. There's also no reason a new version can't be good in its own right.

But I would like to know who's financing it, more than anything else; they have to understand the size of the commitment required. To see this go, ya know, just a few dozen eps, and then have the backers say "Sorry, you get 13 eps to wind it up" would be indescribably painful. I don't want to see this in a future list of anime disasters column.

Good luck to 'em, sez I, if they know they have the resources.
Rheinhard

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Obviously I'm intrigued by this news, but I don't see what you could do with it that hasn't already been done. I believe pretty much all the original novel content was already made into the classic anime and "Gaiden" side stories. Now maybe this would be a new take on the original source material (like the previous comment compared it to multiple movie adaptations of the original Victor Hugo "Les Miserables" novels), but that could either be really cool (see Yamato 2199), or awful (if they try to make it more mainstream-appealing and add in more current popular anime tropes: we'd need some new cute girl staff officers, one a tsundere with glasses, another bubbly and genki, another with big gazongas, etc.)

Also one of the things that made the original so unique was its use of classical musical score. The original reason for this was that the production studio had a huge library of recorded music from its record album arm sitting around. If the new production doesn't have such a repository available, it would probably be prohibitively expensive to record an all-new orchestral score. And if there's one thing I do NOT need to see, it's a new production of LoGH with BGM from the latest hot J-Pop band!
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
My goodness this is good news, here's the question: Is there a possibility this new LOGH anime can be license outside of Japan, if it can't then all hope is lost for international fans to watch this anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5