• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Kickstarting Points

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Strider isn't a big name title.
No, he's a character/name that people know and maybe willing to buy a game of. The best thing Capcom should do is keep it's ips relevant. Thats been the problem of last gen for them.

Quote:
New consoles are out. We need new IP's not rehashed old crap.
I'm not sure why we can't have both. Plus, this isn't a rehash unless you think merely making new games of older properties are rehashes, but that makes no sense.
Quote:

Capcom is just cementing in the fact that a console crash is inevitable. I'm hoping that Evil Within/PsychoBreak will be decent without resorting to Resident Evil/Biohazard too much
What? You get this all from them farming out a cheap test reboot game? Um.....that seems like a insane stretch.

Quote:
We need a SweetHome Redo if they want to go back.
What? Where are you getting any of this. This all seems like insane ramblings. No one cares about Sleep Home. It's a novelty piece. A piece of trivia because Mikami worked on it and some ideas got into RE, but the game is also a jrpg.

What would they get back? What are you talking about?

Quote:
I'm a fan. I'm not railin, just saying they could focus in other areas.
Um they are.....This is just a small PSN game. Strider in no way is some big title in thier games lineup. It dosen't signal anything other then they are seeing if the character is actually viable. They aren't making it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Strider isn't a big name. Ask any of the new gamers who that is and you might get, wasn't he that ninja on Marvel vs Capcom!

That shit is retro. After a few jumps, Strider fights a futuristic musclebound thug commanding USSR soldiers to jump into the center of the screen to become a sickle wielding dragon is not known to more than a few.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Strider isn't a big name. Ask any of the new gamers who that is and you might get, wasn't he that ninja on Marvel vs Capcom!
Yeah there you go, you just defeated you're own argument.

The fact that a new gamer would recognize him is enough. They will go "hey thats that cool looking dude from those popular fighting games" and maybe they'll try the new game. Synergy at it's best. Thats what this game is about, seeing if the character is viable. He's proven popular in guest appearances and thus getting his own game.

Quote:
That shit is retro. After a few jumps, Strider fights a futuristic musclebound thug commanding USSR soldiers to jump into the center of the screen to become a sickle wielding dragon is not known to more than a few.
Ok...what does this have to do with anything?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Double Helix did a great job of retro jumping Bionic commando, so i guess them doing strider is a logical choice.

Why now? Oh sorry, Duck Tales is relevant again. What's next? Strider AGAIN!

Do they need tip money for cabs as they work on Deep Down?

We do not need these kinds of games in 2014, Rahxephon91 that is my point. Why not Trojan and another Ghost and goblins? Jump on a different title.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Ok...what does this have to do with anything?
Have you played any of the strider games? You are jumping in while I'm belittling Capcom for being a failure for their IP discretion.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Despite the setbacks, Unsung Story is exactly what Matsuno fans have wanted for years: a strategy-RPG with his characteristic attention to grim, complicated plots and even grimmer and more complicated battles.

WAaay too early to say it's what we really wanted. The rest of the staff are a bunch of nobodies that might make a terrible game catered to smartphones, despite it's other platform ports.

Without Matsuno actually directing them, I have lost a lot of faith and the fact that they used his name to lure people is very iffy.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Double Helix did a great job of retro jumping Bionic commando, so i guess them doing strider is a logical choice.
Double Helix had nothing to do with that game. That was Grin and yes that game was very well received. So it makes sense to try it again.

Quote:
Why now? Oh sorry, Duck Tales is relevant again. What's next? Strider AGAIN!
?? Sure....

Quote:
Do they need tip money for cabs as they work on Deep Down?
What are you talking about? They are a game company. They release games. They release more then one game a year and have several projects going on at the same time. There's nothing crazy about them trying to reboot an ip that has some recognition, especially in a safer way. I'm really not sure what you are trying to prove here honestly. Deep Down is another project. This game has nothing do with it. Did you know they also have been making Sengoku Basara and Monster Hunter as well!
Quote:

We do not need these kinds of games in 2014, Rahxephon91 that is my point.
Well then you're point is awful and you've made a poor attempt at arguing it. There is nothing wrong with bringing back old ips. God knows more Japanese companies should do it. Why shouldn't they bring back old ips and don't make some insane stretch that it's bringing the game crash or whatever nonsense. They shouldn't do it because you don't like it? That's garbage. The game could be good and hit with an audience that is open to it, bringing back a good franchisee, one that has no current substitute. There is nothing like Strider in the marketplace, it's not hurting anything to have a new one. You are making a big deal out of nothing.

Quote:
Why not Trojan and another Ghost and goblins? Jump on a different title.
You answered this question, because people know of him thanks to MvC and there is some demand. What is the problem? They tried Ghost and Goblins not too long ago. There was no new Strider last gen and the gen before that. I guess its now it's time. That's it. There's nothing else to it.

Quote:
Have you played any of the strider games?
Yes. What does you describing what happens in the games have to do with it being a bad idea to bring out a new Strider? You keep saying it's bad. Why?

Quote:
You are jumping in while I'm belittling Capcom for being a failure for their IP discretion.
How? How is it being a failure? What the heck are you talking about. There hasn't been a Strider in 2 gens. How are they being a failure by revisiting an old ip? Thats what companies do!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:25 am Reply with quote
I remember reading a short article in a Seventeen back-issue from the early eighties about how video games were a great opportunity for women and girls as both players and developers. I think the same issue also had a piece about the Equal Rights Amendment.
Griffhor14

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:46 am Reply with quote
I registered an account to ANN after months of "just looking" merely to say Mr. Ciolek you mentioned Hamlet therefore I think we would get along fine. The Soul Blazer trilogy are my games!
Guile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:07 am Reply with quote
GeorgeC wrote:
The game development budgets are just so bloated now, very few original ideas, and the whole Call of Duty squad-type game has been done to death.

They seriously have to rethink how they do their business I think. I don't know that they can continue to plow through with rose-colored spectacles. I just don't think the executives and major players in the game industry use as many hard drugs as Hollywood does. I still wonder how the traditional entertainment industry is making it with its crazy spending that makes game development costs look downright stingy!

Japan has already adapted to the inflated development costs by using more stylized graphics like cel-shading and 2D. Western games still mostly ignore stylization in favor of making things look as realistic as possible. That does nothing to help budget problems and leads us to situations like Tomb Raider where even selling a few million is still considered a loss. They also have jumped ship to handhelds which have a smaller development cost. Japanese gamers seem to have also gone there given console sales slowing down. I'm wondering just how well the Playstation 4 will sell in Japan. I predict it will sell fewer than the Playstation 3, such as that sold fewer than the Playstation 2.

As far as original ideas, that's more of an issue with the markets. The majority of the west doesn't really appeal to any niche audience anymore, so we get a lot of standardized games as a result. Developers would rather make their game as wide and approachable as possible and simply copy the most successful titles for maximum and safe profit. Japan's industry has always been one of finding success in appealing to niche audiences. They can make games knowing they will sell less than 100,000 copies and turn a profit just like their animation industry can make tons of cartoons which sell only 10,000 copies and be considered a hit. Niche audiences allows for more unique and riskier ideas that would otherwise be doomed to failure if attempted to marketed at the mainstream. I would say the indie game scene is a better place to look for more unique western games than the mainstream, but I have noticed the indie game scene has unfortunately started to mirror the regular industry at this point. Only instead of everyone imitating Call of Duty or World of Warcraft, they are imitating Minecraft, DayZ, and Braid. The rise of paid Alphas/Early Access also has me a big concerned. Most of those titles allow for player feedback on shaping the game, and usually that feedback ends up standardizing the content making little difference compared to their mainstream counterparts. I'm not sure where that side of the industry is headed, to be honest.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:51 am Reply with quote
Yep Japanese games are so great and never suffer the problem of trying to appeal to mainstream like those bad western games.

*Cough*MonsterHunterclonesandcrapineverything*cough*

Yeah I'm so happy that Japanese developer's answers to budget problems is to just not make games. And man where are all these styled cel shaded Japanese console games. They aren't in any of the big remaining Japanese console series. Tales sadly stooped with that. Grasshopper I guess, but that was just with Killer is Dead really. Nothing Platinum puts out fits that bill(maybe 101, but it's on the WiiU so I don't care). Don't believe From made some super stylized game either. The only cel shaded stylized game involving Team Ninja is a western made one. Capcom had EX Troopers, but I believe that was a 3DS project first and foremost. Yeah where are these games..

Yeah the Japanese game industry is so perfect. It's not moving to mobiles with crappy F2P set-ups because core gaming models are changing and it's not having companies neglect thier ips and outscource development more and more. Yep, nothing negative is happening in Japan.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
]Well then you're point is awful and you've made a poor attempt at arguing it. There is nothing wrong with bringing back old ips. God knows more Japanese companies should do it. Why shouldn't they bring back old ips and don't make some insane stretch that it's bringing the game crash or whatever nonsense. They shouldn't do it because you don't like it? That's garbage. The game could be good and hit with an audience that is open to it, bringing back a good franchisee, one that has no current substitute. There is nothing like Strider in the marketplace, it's not hurting anything to have a new one. You are making a big deal out of nothing.
Go and read up who is running Capcom now. Why they are failing. The revenue loss. Them wanting nothing to do with the west. Ramping up DLC through order of the Tsujimoto's. Contradicting themselves by saying what is hurting them is the opposite of what they have just released and Why Inafune and Mikami left. The company is being poorly managed and is failing. What do you want to debate? Strider will save Capcom? It is not a big name. Capcom is dying.

Griffhor14 : Since when were Soul Blazer 1992, Illusion of Gaia 1993 and Terranigma 1995 (what brick and mortar store offered this?) considered a trillogy? That sounds like choosey fans to me. I grinded the hell out of Robotrek and Actraiser is one out my favorites I still play to this day. Those three have nothing to do with each other unless they mean the dog TURBO. Why not call Bahamut Lagoon, Chrono Trigger and Gun Hazard a trilogy? Each were spin-offs from Square. Only Quintet gets the honors, huh?

Todd : I'll still throw down on how TOMBA is one of the greatest adventure games on the PSX. 100%

I just recently went through the original Corpse Party on the PC98. Then the remake and fan mods only to hunt for a VITA so that I can download the PSP collection of 1 and 2.

Which led me to La-Mulana strangely. Tough game. Tough on the eyes tough on the soul. The game is brilliant and I hope it gets a release on the Wii U.

Question? Has anyone played El dorado's Gate series on the Dreamcast?

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:33 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Yeah the Japanese game industry is so perfect. It's not moving to mobiles with crappy F2P set-ups because core gaming models are changing and it's not having companies neglect thier ips and outscource development more and more. Yep, nothing negative is happening in Japan.
Their refusal to adapt is what led Mikami and inafune to leave. There also aren't that many more companies that can afford to keep up with the industry. We are really spoiled by the Unreal engine and Embryos engine. What else besides Squares Luminous studio (simply breath taking) does Nippon have to defend with? Hentai, Idol and Otaku games?

Maybe the dinosaurs like Capcom might have to brand themselves like Nintendo is starting to do.

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:56 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Why they are failing.
What are they failing at? You keep jumping around.

Are they failing at making games? That's your opinion.

Are the games not meeting sales? Well RE6 and I think Revelations HD did'nt meet expectations and yet regardless RE6 still is one of thier highest selling games. DMC I think is around 1.4 million, so no it did'nt. Yet I'm sure the great sales of Monster Hunter don't hurt.

Quote:
The revenue loss.
http://mynintendonews.com/2013/09/10/capcoms-revenue-increases-despite-poor-overall-game-sales/

This is before even MH4 came out.

Quote:
Them wanting nothing to do with the west.
Can you find an article about this because basically every action this company makes would suggest otherwise.

Quote:
Ramping up DLC through order
Every Japanese company has been doing this for more revenue out of these products. it is not a Capcom thing, it's a gaming thing.

Quote:
The company is being poorly managed and is failing.
Sure, whatever. I don't think I said anything about Capcom's management. I don't care.

Quote:
Strider will save Capcom? It is not a big name. Capcom is dying.
What? 1st, I doubt Capcom is dying. 2nd, no one said anything about Strider being anything other then a game coming out. You're the one who for whatever reason thinks Strider shouldn't happen and now it morphed into it shouldn't exsist because it's not saving Capcom. No one was talking about that. We just thought it was fine to have a new Strider game because there hasn't been one. You're the one talking about all this corporate Capcom stuff.

Quote:
Their refusal to adapt is what led Mikami and inafune to leave.
Um no.

Mikami left because they shut down Clover and he wanted to make original games. Inafune left because he wanted to do his own thing.

Capcom is possibly the most adaptable of these Japanese companies, at least at the begining of last gen. They were the only one with a middleware that was adaptable. MT Framework was beyond anything any other Japanese game developer did last gen and it allowed them to get many games out there and the engine scaled. If anything the way Japanese game developers use to handle engine development is what screwed many of them. Capcom didn't have that problem.

They were also the one to make new ips that appealed to the west without losing thier identity as seen in titles such as Lost Planet and Dead Rising. Plus not every western collaboration they did was a failure.

To say Capcom is some old dinosaur is ludicrous. They've had many problems and as the gen went by they've gotten worse, but at least they were above everyone else. They still put out plenty of solid games that appealed to many people regardless of region.

Konami dosen't even make games outside of MGS. The FoX engine is just now coming around.

The Crystal Tools crap Square ended up being a waste and the troubled development of FFXIII sure didn't help. No Versus and basically only 4 HD console games. About the only smart thing they did was buy Edios. That new Luminous engine means nothing until something actually comes out. At least MT Framework proved itself. Besides Capcom has it's own next gen engine.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:58 am Reply with quote
Rahxephon91 wrote:
Did you know they also have been making Sengoku Basara and Monster Hunter as well!
Yes and Yes. I own several BASARA titles on ps2 (Heroes 2 and BASARA X) as well as the english Devil Kings.

Monster hunter, played the first, and newest on the WiiU. Not into it.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Can you find an article about this because basically every action this company makes would suggest otherwise.
Here

Rahxephon91 wrote:
What? 1st, I doubt Capcom is dying. 2nd, no one said anything about Strider being anything other then a game coming out. You're the one who for whatever reason thinks Strider shouldn't happen and now it morphed into it shouldn't exsist because it's not saving Capcom. No one was talking about that. We just thought it was fine to have a new Strider game because there hasn't been one. You're the one talking about all this corporate Capcom stuff.
Here Capcom has 150 million in the bank as of last year. That is small change for what games cost now, let alone keeping a company running.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Um no.
Here The cancellation of Universe and Legends 3 helped him move. He let himself and the fans down. According to him.

Mikami suffered from remakes like what Capcom is doing now.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Plus not every western collaboration they did was a failure.
Not one of them met expectations Here

Rahxephon91 wrote:
They still put out plenty of solid games that appealed to many people regardless of region.
Opinions are great but sales are all that count.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
Konami dosen't even make games outside of MGS. The FoX engine is just now coming around.
Zeroes will be two different engines like the way they made MGS2. Old Engine with Boss prequel, New Engine with awakened exploration. I really can't wait.

Rahxephon91 wrote:
The Crystal Tools crap Square ended up being a waste and the troubled development of FFXIII sure didn't help. No Versus and basically only 4 HD console games. About the only smart thing they did was buy Edios. That new Luminous engine means nothing until something actually comes out. At least MT Framework proved itself. Besides Capcom has it's own next gen engine.
The "Panta Rhei" engine will replace MT Framework. It is godly. I would love to have a crack at that hardware.

SquareEnix is a game away from closing, thats no secret. Agni's Philosophy tech demo is hope that they still can make it.
kgw

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
Sorry to interrupt your discussion about Stryder.

About Tomba.
Quote:
I'm sure there's an interesting reason why it was renamed Tombi in Europe. Maybe Tomba means something filthy in Norwegian.

Yup. It means "grave" (or, obviously "tomb") in several languages.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3