• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia editor (user) who submits false/copied information

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:45 am Reply with quote
I'm guessing this is the same user, as each source is listed as "watched it" and that source only.

This user adds maturity ratings to new anime without any source, and says he/she has watched it even though it has not yet debuted.

Example: animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/error-report.php?code=AI-2152684604

In addition, the source for his/her plot summaries are also watched it... When in fact, these summaries are exactly (or almost exactly) directly copied from ANN articles (some of these summaries I've written myself for articles).
Example: animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/error-report.php?code=AI-1079336863

Can we please do something about this? I'm really sick of putting dozens of error reports all around the site.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
(Sigh)

That user is a pain in the butt. He had pissed me off once in a very personal way; he's already on my "watch list" and will be banned if he causes ONE more trouble.

However, the "mild" rating of Haikyu!!, while without an authoritative backing, is probably correct. The rating can be quite subjective, and if someone submits the exact same thing after broadcasting starts then we can hardly argue it. I've taken it down, but as a typical shonen tournament manga adaptation the "mild" rating is likely to be just right.

One last thing: How come you'd suspect such behavior came from an editor? Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
(Sigh)

That user is a pain in the butt. He had pissed me off once in a very personal way; he's already on my "watch list" and will be banned if he causes ONE more trouble.

However, the "mild" rating of Haikyu!!, while without an authoritative backing, is probably correct. The rating can be quite subjective, and if someone submits the exact same thing after broadcasting starts then we can hardly argue it. I've taken it down, but as a typical shonen tournament manga adaptation the "mild" rating is likely to be just right.

One last thing: How come you'd suspect such behavior came from an editor? Rolling Eyes

Sorry, I didn't know how to word it. I meant "a user that edits the encyclopedia."

Also, the reason I don't think a rating should be given before something airs is because it could completely change as an adaptation, in theory... In theory, Haikyu could suddenly have lots of bloody injuries as a result of an anime adaptation.
Anyway. Just a thought.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Oh, him. I have mentally sighed more than once when his name comes up on a submission.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Does that user speak English as a second language? Unless this is all a big coincidence, I think I probably had an exchange with the same user on an error report. A plot summary on something I was submitting info on was full of grammar errors so I put in an error report and on a subsequent visit I noticed that the summary was changed. I looked at the error reports, saw he had put in a justification something along the lines of "I fixed it, please remove your error." So I did, but I couldn't help but notice that he had ripped it verbatim from an ANN article that announced the title, but at least he used the article as a source. Anyway, it was better than before so I just let it go.

tl;dr: I think I may have been an ancillary character in his origin story.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1