• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Attack on Titan's English Dub to Debut at Anime Boston

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
The series can't be in any better hands. I rate Mike McFarland as FUNimation's best ADR Director, if not the best out of all of them. I expect FUNimation to bring out use their best a-grade talent on this show, especially since it's only 25 episodes.

I really think that Attack on Titan can surpass or at least emulate the success off Fullmetal Alchemist (in the united states). I think it's their biggest acquisition since One Piece in 2008.

If they can put this on Toonami in Space Dandy's timeslot, I really think that it can be pushed into the mainstream audience. The original Fullmetal Alchemist was kinda almost mainstream, but I think Attack on Titan can go further than that.
I also hope it premiers on TV before it's on DVD/Blu-ray so we can get more viewers.

Man I can't wait
RANGIT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who appreciates Greg's voice. I know the guy before was kidding about Greg playing Eren (I wouldn't want that either), but I still like the other roles he was fit to play in. He's one of my favorite voice actors actually.

Yeah, I like Greg Ayres. I'm so used to his voice by now that I don't really mind anymore if it doesn't fit the character to a tee, he always delivers a good performance. I'd love for him to get roles more suited to his voice, though.

I'm so psyched about the cast announcements!
Xelorei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Mike in the director's chair for this production. I've really enjoyed all of the past dubs he's been in charge of, like Eden of the East, Summer Wars, Fullmetal Alchemist, etc. I have faith that he'll get some great performances out of the cast like he always does.

Can't say I'm really excited for Tatum being adaptive script writer, though. I like him as an actor, I really do, but his scripts are usually just...too much. x_x His writing and diction have this really nasty tendency to overpower the material. Hopefully the seriousness and just immense importance of this show will hold him back from writing another The Future Diary. >_> Gonna try my best to be positive...

That aside, I'm excited for this dub and for the cast to be announced. Here's a personal cast prediction list...

Eren Jaeger - Josh Grelle
Mikasa Ackerman - Leah Clark
Armin Arlert - Brina Palencia
Jean Kirschtein - Eric Vale
Annie Leonhart - Colleen Clinkenbeard
Reiner Braun - Ian Sinclair
Bertoldt Hoover - Joel McDonald
Christa Lenz - Jad Saxton
Ymir - Martha Harms
Sasha Brouse - Lindsay Seidel
Connie Springer - Austin Tindle
Levi - Jason Liebrecht
Zoe Hange - Trina Nishimura
Erwin Smith - Christopher Sabat
Dot Pixis- Ed Blaylock

Can't wait until AB. Very Happy
bs3311

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Great with Mike jumping on board to ADR direct. I did hear from questioning him along with prasing his choice to bring Matranga in Wolf Children. And he said he is bringing David Matranga in some of his future directed dubs. So that means he in this one?

I hope to god he does!

For some reason I'm thinking of him voicing Jean. But thats a dream though along with Jessica Calvello as Sasha and Emily Neves would be Mikasa. But I doubt the 3rd one being a possablity.

If so, then don't let Brina Palencia touch her and Armin! Its a bias hate, I know and admit.
Anti_Nadalista

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:12 pm Reply with quote
The Japanese voice actors did such a incredible job in this show. Good luck with the English dub.
Davy0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Toonami.
TG72

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Xelorei wrote:

Eren Jaeger - Josh Grelle
Mikasa Ackerman - Leah Clark
Armin Arlert - Brina Palencia
Jean Kirschtein - Eric Vale
Annie Leonhart - Colleen Clinkenbeard
Reiner Braun - Ian Sinclair
Bertoldt Hoover - Joel McDonald
Christa Lenz - Jad Saxton
Ymir - Martha Harms
Sasha Brouse - Lindsay Seidel
Connie Springer - Austin Tindle
Levi - Jason Liebrecht
Zoe Hange - Trina Nishimura
Erwin Smith - Christopher Sabat
Dot Pixis- Ed Blaylock

I like how you're thinking, although I'd go with John Swazey as Dot Pixus. I'd also try to work Alexis Tipton in somewhere...
the-antihero

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Yay! I've avoided every news (minus this) about this series so I could watch it dubbed.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news! I was just thinking about this recently. My husband and I watched the first episode on Netflix, recently. It was odd for him to want to watch a sub anime since I have to read it for him. (He is visually impaired.) He really liked it but when it came time to watch another episode, he said he'd prefer to wait for a dub. I was wondering how long we would have to wait; he'll be glad to know it's in the works!
Nuuzen

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Mr. McFarland, eh? Should be a good one, then. Loved FMA and Funi OP. Very Happy
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Brina Palencia should play Sasha, if for no other reason than her connection to a certain other character involving potatoes. Laughing Wink
clawfinger

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Looking forward to watching the series.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:24 am Reply with quote
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Fullmetal Alchemist has a fantastic dub, so I'm glad they got Mr. Mcfarland to do the dub for this series. It seems like the dub is coming out pretty quickly. Probably in an attempt to still be a part of the Titan hysteria.

Well I look forward to a dub, this is one of those series that isn't too Japanese, so I feel like a dub could possibly benefit it. Get it on Toonami, and they will have a major hit on their hands!

i doubt it would come to AS.and if it did, it would happened long after the series have been released on DVD.

Considering it took them this long to get Soul Eater, and to regain the broadcast license on one piece, it highly unlikely that they will get the license before the dvd is released. So the odds of this series is the same as Jourmangard. ZERO!

unfortunately its highly unlikely palencia would get the casting role.same with ayres considering the nature of the series. though i can be wrong, but no one knows the dub casting since it was never announced so we will have to wait until the debut on Anime Boston which i will be attending.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
I don't know. AoT is the most requested series for Toonami. Just because they took a while to get one series (and even then, [adult swim] was a LOT pickier about anime before they revived Toonami), doesn't mean that will be the case with this one. They're premiering Space Dandy right out of the gate, and it didn't take them long to show SAO either. I'm not saying it's totally guaranteed, but I'd be VERY surprised if AoT didn't come to Toonami this year.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Cyclone1993 wrote:
Fullmetal Alchemist has a fantastic dub, so I'm glad they got Mr. Mcfarland to do the dub for this series. It seems like the dub is coming out pretty quickly. Probably in an attempt to still be a part of the Titan hysteria.

Well I look forward to a dub, this is one of those series that isn't too Japanese, so I feel like a dub could possibly benefit it. Get it on Toonami, and they will have a major hit on their hands!

i doubt it would come to AS.and if it did, it would happened long after the series have been released on DVD.

Considering it took them this long to get Soul Eater, and to regain the broadcast license on one piece, it highly unlikely that they will get the license before the dvd is released. So the odds of this series is the same as Jourmangard. ZERO!

unfortunately its highly unlikely palencia would get the casting role.same with ayres considering the nature of the series. though i can be wrong, but no one knows the dub casting since it was never announced so we will have to wait until the debut on Anime Boston which i will be attending.

Well, they also got the broadcasting rights to Space Dandy quickly. Fingers crossed.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3