• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Love-Crazed Characters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Ryoooooooooo-saaaaaaaaaaaan! Top o' the list, Ma!

Yeah....that makes me happy. Although it's really hard to tell sometimes if he's really love-crazed, or if he's adept at obfuscating lust, similar to Vash the Stampede's obfuscating stupidity.
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, spoiler[Mask De Masculine] from Bleach wasn't included in the new poll?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Great Rumbler wrote:
Kintaro from Golden Boy!

Definitely. He had the distinction of being sought after by women but he kept on wandering, the opposite of the constantly rebuked & importunate lustful loser male character.
Quote:
What Oreldo lacks in height, he makes up for in charm. Oreldo will go out of his way to woo, fix, or otherwise lend a hand to his latest love interest. In one episode he helps a night worker overcome her grief for a deceased boyfriend, while in another he plays the part of an abusive boyfriend just get a girl's drug-addled dad to come out of his stupor

So, this guy is a loser who lets himself be used by women with no real benefits, the doofus who always ends up "friend-zoned"?
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
I have to disagree with a lot of the people on this list. Their is a difference between Love and Lust, and at least half these characters are not really interested in love, rather than lust : Oreldo, Alliele, Ataru and Ryo. I think only last/first 3 could actually be considered love crazed.
Aizen-chan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
How about Spike from Cowboy Bebop? He wanted to run away with Julia but she never showed up. So he became a Bounty Hunter, which is a great excuse for him to wander from planet to planet looking for her...
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
So where's Kanako Miyamae from Maria+Holic?

Was she not love crazy enough...?
Key

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Kanako was definitely one of the other characters I was referring to who would be a viable candidate for the list.

And I disagree that this is mostly an older trope. Milder forms are still fairly common in harem series and more general romantic comedies and extreme cases still pop up from time to time; for instance, an excellent example from last year would be Akiko from OniAi. One could also argue a case for Hiyori from this season's Recently, my sister is unusual, although that's a less clear-cut case since ulterior motives are involved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:20 am Reply with quote
^^^^

Another recent example: Tamaki from Majestic Prince.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
I have to disagree with a lot of the people on this list. Their is a difference between Love and Lust, and at least half these characters are not really interested in love, rather than lust : Oreldo, Alliele, Ataru and Ryo. I think only last/first 3 could actually be considered love crazed.

Exactly: Ataru loves Lum, just that he'd rather die than admit it--The rest, he's just stubbornly clinging to the status-symbol adolescent hormonal dream of his "harem" (yes, he invented the term in anime) even though he admits he doesn't really know why anymore, he just does. And once he gets it, in "Inaba the Dreammaker" and "Beautiful Dreamer", there's always one thing missing.

Mendou wouldn't really belong on the list either; apart from Lum, he charms everyone but mostly loves himself.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:23 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And I disagree that this is mostly an older trope. Milder forms are still fairly common in harem series and more general romantic comedies and extreme cases still pop up from time to time; for instance, an excellent example from last year would be Akiko from OniAi.

I think we may be talking about different tropes, then. All the examples in this List are people with multiple targets. For 6/7ths of them, it's "every attractive member of the appropriate sex on the planet". Cassanova: It's Over Nine Thousand.

Akiko has exactly one target. (Similar for Spike and BGHK's Yamada, mentioned by others in this thread; the former has one target, the latter claims to have 100 targets but can't get past the first one.)
dhochoy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:28 am Reply with quote
Never knew Giru was love-crazed but then again it's been forever seen I've last watched GT.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:37 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Exactly: Ataru loves Lum, just that he'd rather die than admit it--

A friend of mine summed it up beautifully: it's not that Ataru has a problem with Lum; he has a problem with monogamy -- and Lum has the power to enforce it!
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
AnimeMaine wrote:
Admittedly she is not a wrestler, but I'd go with Yawara, the fashionable judo girl for the survey.

Same here!
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
tasogarenootome wrote:
AnimeMaine wrote:
Admittedly she is not a wrestler, but I'd go with Yawara, the fashionable judo girl for the survey.

Same here!

Agreed. She'd kick all their asses.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
suprememoonempress wrote:
No Sanji or miroku? The dude asked every lady he day to bear his child

unfortunately miroku have a wife now, so that could be the reason why he wasnt included on the list. but yea, just asking a 14 yr old girl to bear his child should have automatically put him on this list easy.

then there's vash the stampede who have a habit of hitting on any women that cross his path , but fail in grand fashion. i would put him and sanji on this list easily over el hazard's raging lesbians.

and speaking of which, how is it possible that sanji not on this list? his epic fails of finally getting a girl make all of Takashi's attempts look tame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3