• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What does Sailor Moon mean to you? Entries Part 1

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I didn't submit anything because I didn't think anything I turned in would be good enough, but now I wish I'd participated, if only to show my fandom. Anime hyper That said, there are so many lovely posts here; it's amazing the way the show inspired so many people. I can't wait to see who wins.
Tsubasasan11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I didn't make it to round 1, but I had fun participating! Good luck to everyone who is still in the game! Anime smile
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Wait... are these the finalists or just the first set of entries. It's not clear.

If it's the first one I'm surprised I made it in as my thing is a bit jokey...

Then again I guess I made them chuckle which is why I got in...

Oh and I'm the one in front the Sailor Mercury Wall Scroll with the books, dvds while holding some CDs and the character books who talked about fanfics...

Last edited by Emma Iveli on Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Tsubasasan11 wrote:
I didn't make it to round 1, but I had fun participating! Good luck to everyone who is still in the game! Anime smile

This isn't "round 1." A completely different set of finalists will be posted tomorrow.

All in all, we expect to post somewhere around 500 finalists. Give or take 100.

There was well over 1000 entries total.

-t
Tsubasasan11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Tsubasasan11 wrote:

This isn't "round 1." A completely different set of finalists will be posted tomorrow.

All in all, we expect to post somewhere around 500 finalists. Give or take 100.

There was well over 1000 entries total.

-t

Oh wow I am so happy to hear this! That means me, along with many others, are still in the game! Very Happy Woot!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
I didn't submit anything because I didn't think anything I turned in would be good enough, but now I wish I'd participated, if only to show my fandom.

I wanted to find that YouTube clip of the girls speaking English, from Sailor Moon S spoiler[("Nice to meet you." "Hello." "I'm...glad...to see...you." "Thankyou!" "(Mako-chan, that's wrong!)")] as symbol of the first show that "greeted" our 90's US culture with anime. Very Happy
But, it wouldn't be original, and figured they were going more for the cosplay, DeviantArt and stuff-collection photos, instead.
Sailor Star Dust

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Hope I at least make it as a finalist. Everybody has such beautiful stories for their entries! Best of luck, fellow fans! Smile
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:12 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
But, it wouldn't be original, and figured they were going more for the cosplay, DeviantArt and stuff-collection photos, instead.

The best way to win a contest is to provide something we hadn't thought of. So whatever we are "going for" is also the same thing everyone else is going to enter...

That said, this contest is strictly "an image and 100 words." Videos would not have been accepted (and indeed, we had to turn down entries that submitted non-image media).
Tsubasasan11

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Sailor Star Dust wrote:
Hope I at least make it as a finalist. Everybody has such beautiful stories for their entries! Best of luck, fellow fans! Smile

That's how I feel also! Good luck to you as well! ^__^ I read some of the stories as well and they are all good. Also it's going to be hard to compete with the fans that own so much Sailor Moon stuff in their rooms!
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Tsubasasan11 wrote:
That's how I feel also! Good luck to you as well! ^__^ I read some of the stories as well and they are all good. Also it's going to be hard to compete with the fans that own so much Sailor Moon stuff in their rooms!

Some of those fans really sacrificed to get all that stuff. Others just have deep wallets.

It's entirely possible for someone to win this contest with a picture of a Sailor Moon doll that says "This is the only Sailor Moon thing I have ever been able to buy, but..."

This is actually a big part of why we made it more than just a photo-contest. We didn't want it to be about who owns the most merchandise.

-t
Evan M

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Gotta say, I didn't think I'd make it through to finalists (however big the pool may be), but there it is! Luna perched proudly on my desk at work, alongside my bite-sized story.

Sailor Moon is the root of my happiest childhood memories, even though most of them end with some form of bullying. I wish I'd had the courage some of the other entrants do! Cosplaying, showing off their collections proudly... Somewhere along the way, I lost the strength Sailor Moon tried so hard to bestow in me. I hided, and denied who I truly am. The tide has really turned in my life though, and Sailor Moon's revival has been such a joyous harbinger of this personal renaissance. It hasn't been easy, but I've come out to my friends and family, and I'm starting on a new path. I couldn't be happier to see Sailor Moon coming along for the ride with me, and I'm so excited to share this excitement with all of you! Some of the stories in this batch of finalists were so touching...

Best of luck, everyone!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Well, once we get that new set that's going to be a buy for those that own the series. It's funny I don't really have much in common with SM mainly because I only watched it a little. It came on mornings, I had to work and I just wasn't so much into "mahou shoujo" shows. But for some odd reason I don't know why I remember guys who watched the shows who were all goo goo ga ga over Mars's pumps. I think it was the red & black gang I used to hang around. It feels like HS but this came out waaaaay after I graduated, went to college and joined the workforce. Who knows where that memory came from. But I'm now sitting down and enjoying the series with my 12 (soon to be 13) yr old niece. So now the memories will be hers. She'll remember sitting down with her aunt watching Sailor Moon. Funny thing is that the only reason why she's watching it is because when she attended an all Asian school, the summer camp in that area there was a woman who she had a conversation with and asked her if she had seen watched it and how she loved it. So she heard about it but had yet to see it until I decided to sign up for a HuluPlus account so that we could watch the show on the Wii over the weekend. Our first weekend brought positive results to her. So now we make Mondays our nights to tune in. But 2 episodes every Monday is too little. I'd rather have 4 eps every Friday so we have enough episodes to watch over the week and we can get the other characters into the mix. Only a few more days until SMC.
leonasenshi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
So, I'm a little confused... the entries posted... are they the finalists or just the actual entries from everyone, because your title says "Here they are! The first 100 or so finalists in our Sailor Moon contest." yet I keep reading that these are not the finalists, because you might still be uploading entries for "part 2" ?

idk, could you please clarify that.

Thanks.

Last edited by leonasenshi on Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
After reading all of the entries, I can tell that Sailor Moon really did have a huge positive impact on most people that watched it on an emotional level.
Here's hoping everyone that entered the contest had a fun time playing it. Smile
Jess-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see my entry there. I was the Sailor Moon cosplayer holding the Tuxedo Mask plushie. Good luck to everyone!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 29