• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Rank Their Biggest Live-Action Anime Adaptation Fails

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I like DBE
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Dragonball Evolution was terrible, but I still had a little fun watching it. Actually, if you don't think of it as being Dragon Ball-related, it can kinda stand on it's own. Plus at least Emmy Rossum provided some decent eye-candy, and I'm glad they gave Agent Mai a decent role. Dragon Ball Z would have been much easier and marketable to adapt. The original Dragon Ball does... NOT translate well into live action (an animated Hollywood movie on the other hand could work in the right hands). The Chinese and Taiwanese versions are a bit better though IMO, as campy as they are (heck, that's what makes them so entertaining).

I haven't seen The Last Airbender, but I hear that's even worse. I have heard that Speed Racer wasn't that bad.

Even Japanese live action anime adaptations are rarely good, but I have a feeling that once we have a decent one, our mindsets will change somewhat. I'd like to see a live action version of Tenchi Muyo myself, and feel that could actually work if it's done right.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Supermutant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:18 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Supermutant: I hate the Wachowski Speed Racer, too, but the anime was never big in Japan in the first place, so...

I don't hate. I liked it just wish it was better. It was so close
devil leonx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
I feel a bit sad cause I did not think DBE was not that....Yeah its not a good film by any means but its entertaining...to me any how...
E-Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Kruszer wrote:

Where is the crappy Street Fighter live action? That should be on there. That's more relevant to a bad video game movie list I guess though.

C'mon, that has iconic stuff! Laughing

Agreed the 1994 film was entertaining in my opinion. Plus if I had to choose between the live action Speed Racer & Dragon Ball Evolution, I'd choose Speed Racer cause at least it was both enjoyable and the characters resemble their anime counterparts more than the DBE characters did.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
ego: They were able to do an effective Monkey King story with Forbidden Kingdom and that upcoming Donnie Yen movie. DB shouldn't be that much more difficult.

Kruszer: Which one? Laughing

Eric:
Quote:
but it's not like Tim Burton and Linda Woolverton did it, either.

Meh, I'll take Super Cage Mullet Man over Mortal Kombat II for the PG crowd.

Purple:
Quote:
The original Dragon Ball does... NOT translate well into live action (an animated Hollywood movie on the other hand could work in the right hands).

Again, if the X-Men and Fantastic Four movies were possible, then there's nothing stopping them from doing a good DB movie. Well, other than laziness, anyway.

Supermutant:
Quote:
I don't hate. I liked it just wish it was better. It was so close

I brought this up before, but if it was actually about speed and racing, instead of just discussing mergers, I'd probably enjoy it more.
Kakugo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Which reminds me, why isn't the HK "Dragon Ball: the Magic Begins" on the list, either?)

Because unlike Evolution, that movie was adorable.

That said, if you want to talk about cinematic badness from the ninth circle, the "ULTIMATE EDITION" with all new state of the art special effects was just... wow. Just look at it.

Go on, I dare you.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:33 am Reply with quote
E-Master wrote:
Araki wrote:
They forgot that Ranma live action, it was pretty terrible too...but then again, Ranma itself is crap enough already.
I haven't seen the live action movie so I can't comment on it. But how can you consider the Ranma 1/2 series as crap when it's one of the best series by Rumiko Takahashi?

Yeah, very true.
Also, while the special was not very faithful, it was fun in its own way, and I enjoyed it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote
Dragon Ball isn't really translatable to live-action.

Not that they actually tried, but even if they had, it would have been near impossible. It's a world where you can find animal people, dinosaurs roaming around, improbable topography, ridiculous technology (capsules), and NO NATIONS AT ALL. Just one big world government of weird creatures ruled by a dog man.

Maybe if they hadn't made Goku a mopey high school student (which he was never at any point ever in anything ever.... ever... before DBE), they could have at least made a crappy film. Instead, they made an abomination.

Ernie Hudson, man... what the f***? You had more dignity in the movie Congo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:31 am Reply with quote
penguin:
Quote:
It's a world where you can find animal people, dinosaurs roaming around, improbable topography, ridiculous technology (capsules), and NO NATIONS AT ALL. Just one big world government of weird creatures ruled by a dog man.

Ok. So how's that more difficult than The Neverending Story or Percy Jackson?
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:00 am Reply with quote
Say what you will about Matrix Revolutions, but I always thought the last fight between Smith and Neo was how I'd like a live action DBZ to look ( maybe with more color though).
mrsatan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Dragon Ball isn't really translatable to live-action.

Exactly. Something like One Piece would also be a disaster in live action.
I could think of American comics too like Charlie Brown that would be totally ruined if attempted in live action.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
I could think of American comics too like Charlie Brown that would be totally ruined if attempted in live action.

(Actually, John Hughes WAS mulling that over, right after "Dennis the Menace", and thinking "Hey, same strip, how hard could it be??"
Mr. Schulz, thankfully, didn't agree.)
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Again, if the X-Men and Fantastic Four movies were possible, then there's nothing stopping them from doing a good DB movie. Well, other than laziness, anyway.

DBZ could potentially translate into a decent live action film if done right, in a similar vein to other action movies. The original Dragon Ball? Not so much. It's style is really defined by it's cartoonish look, feel, charm, and atmosphere, especially in the beginning. This isn't just because it's fantasy. Can you imagine casting someone to play an accurate version of Kid Goku?
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan:
Quote:
Exactly. Something like One Piece would also be a disaster in live action.

It seemed to work out alright for the Pirates films...

Purple:
Quote:
The original Dragon Ball? Not so much. It's style is really defined by it's cartoonish look, feel, charm, and atmosphere, especially in the beginning.

Again, The Forbidden Kingdom and that Donnie Yen Monkey King movie are using the same original template as DB, and they seem to work just fine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4