• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Rank Their Biggest Live-Action Anime Adaptation Fails

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PockyCrusader

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:31 pm Reply with quote
I liked Casshern, but I also hadn't seen the original.

I mean, I was just watching it as a sci-fi action film, and who doesn't like an action film where the main character fights a bunch of killer robots by beating them up with other robots?

The pacing did suffer a lot, though. But, visually it was interesting, and the fight scenes were good.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:31 am Reply with quote
I've also heard the Death Note movies were pretty good. I'd like to get around to seeing them.

GATSU wrote:
mrsatan:
Quote:
Exactly. Something like One Piece would also be a disaster in live action.

It seemed to work out alright for the Pirates films...

Purple:
Quote:
The original Dragon Ball? Not so much. It's style is really defined by it's cartoonish look, feel, charm, and atmosphere, especially in the beginning.

Again, The Forbidden Kingdom and that Donnie Yen Monkey King movie are using the same original template as DB, and they seem to work just fine.

Pirates of the Caribbean's style is NOTHING like One Piece, even though it's also about pirates. Their similarities end there. Eiichiro Oda's unique art style and exaggerated characters would not work in live action, and both elements are highly essential for One Piece to work in any medium. Luffy's GumGum powers would just look silly in live action (or heck, anyone's Devil Fruit powers would just look cartoonish), and finding people that look like many of the story's crazy characters would be impossible (and obviously using CGI with HUMANS would just be weird. You may as well animate the thing).

As for Dragon Ball, we're not just talking about it's story. There were a LOT of elements unique to Dragon Ball that had nothing to do with the legend that inspired it. Dragon Ball's silly style is that of a cartoon. Characters like Kid Goku, Krillin, Launch, Oolong, Puar, Emperor Pilaf, Shu, Murasaki, Fortune Teller Baba, the Turtle, and countless others would seem silly and out-of-place in a live action film (the same could be said about One Piece). The Chinese/Taiwanese versions are proof of that. Yes, they were made without much CG, but look how campy they were with (most of) those characters! You would not be able to take the story seriously (and there are times when you're supposed to). Actually, a CG Puar and Oolong would probably look even more ridiculous...
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:55 am Reply with quote
I knew Evolution would top this. I get that there is a line that has to fall between animation and live action and somethings can't be adapted...

But there is a point where you should ask yourselves a question: Why bother having a source material when you're changing everything about it? The point where it becomes original work that's based off a source and not an actual "adaptation."
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I've also heard the Death Note movies were pretty good. I'd like to get around to seeing them.
They are all right. Not great, but I found them entertaining enough. I thought the actor who played L was good and the ending was slightly more satisfying due to the absence of spoiler[Near] (although I didn't have a problem with him as a character, I didn't really like him as the final antagonist).
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:15 am Reply with quote
Purple:
Quote:
Pirates of the Caribbean's style is NOTHING like One Piece, even though it's also about pirates.

POTC proves you can at least pull off the type of creatures in One Piece.

Quote:
Eiichiro Oda's unique art style and exaggerated characters would not work in live action,

It would work if they could get the Scott Pilgrim FX people involved.

Quote:
Luffy's GumGum powers would just look silly in live action (or heck, anyone's Devil Fruit powers would just look cartoonish),

They're fine in the good Fantastic Four movies.

Quote:
and finding people that look like many of the story's crazy characters would be impossible (and obviously using CGI with HUMANS would just be weird. You may as well animate the thing).

Mixing CG w/ humans is basically the template for most Hollywood tentpoles for the last 20 years, now.

Quote:
Characters like Kid Goku, Krillin, Launch, Oolong, Puar, Emperor Pilaf, Shu, Murasaki, Fortune Teller Baba, the Turtle, and countless others would seem silly and out-of-place in a live action film (the same could be said about One Piece).

Again, they were just fine in Percy Jackson and the Neverending Story.

Quote:
The Chinese/Taiwanese versions are proof of that.

Do you deliberately just ignore the Donnie Yen Monkey King movie I keep bringing up?

shamisen: I thought the Death Note movies were better than the manga, just because they had a more logical ending than, "Let's make L as stupid as possible in order to kill him off." Also, Near's in that crappy spin-off film.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:17 am Reply with quote
shamisen the great wrote:
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
They are all right. Not great, but I found them entertaining enough. I thought the actor who played L was good and the ending was slightly more satisfying due to the absence of spoiler[Near] (although I didn't have a problem with him as a character, I didn't really like him as the final antagonist).

They're....AS good as you could expect a live-action movie to be.
Japanese-budgeted CGI for Ryuk, and an actor convincingly made up with enough eyeliner to play L.
Otherwise, it goes through the standard plot line of the first half of the series more or less verbatim, although it tries to artificially beef up a "climax" out of the story with the female FBI agent, so it can end "ambiguously" on Light getting away.
(And finishing the second half on "The Last Name" sequel, although I haven't seen the rest of the anime series, and can't comment.)

GATSU wrote:
Purple:
Quote:
Pirates of the Caribbean's style is NOTHING like One Piece, even though it's also about pirates.

Actually, POTC was originally intended to be a live-action version of LucasArts "Secret of Monkey Island" computer game--since the creators now worked for Disney--but that's another story. Very Happy
(Admit it, when Will and Jack have their first duel in the blacksmith shop...aren't you suddenly expecting them to duel in Banter?: "You must have me mistaken, sir, I am not a cow.")
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Purple:
Quote:

Quote:
Eiichiro Oda's unique art style and exaggerated characters would not work in live action,

It would work if they could get the Scott Pilgrim FX people involved.

Quote:
Luffy's GumGum powers would just look silly in live action (or heck, anyone's Devil Fruit powers would just look cartoonish),

They're fine in the good Fantastic Four movies.

Quote:
and finding people that look like many of the story's crazy characters would be impossible (and obviously using CGI with HUMANS would just be weird. You may as well animate the thing).

Mixing CG w/ humans is basically the template for most Hollywood tentpoles for the last 20 years, now.

Quote:
Characters like Kid Goku, Krillin, Launch, Oolong, Puar, Emperor Pilaf, Shu, Murasaki, Fortune Teller Baba, the Turtle, and countless others would seem silly and out-of-place in a live action film (the same could be said about One Piece).

Again, they were just fine in Percy Jackson and the Neverending Story.

Quote:
The Chinese/Taiwanese versions are proof of that.

Do you deliberately just ignore the Donnie Yen Monkey King movie I keep bringing up?

All of this is more than just the POSSIBILITIES of creating new worlds and creatures. That is possible in the world of film. Physically FILMING both works is possible, but would they work? The styles of the stories and characters would seem weird, forced, and out of place. Nothing you mention is even close to the wackiness of Dragon Ball or One Piece. Pirates of the Caribbean, Scott Pilgrim, Percy Jackson, and even Donnie Yen, do not have the cartoonish writing styles and humor that the latter two, or other animated works, have. It would be like filming live action versions of Dexter's Laboratory and The Powerpuff Girls. Yeah, you could DO them. It's not impossible, but given the distinct styles of both works, and how heavily they rely on them, the finished work would have a hard time resembling or capturing the spirit of the original shows. It would be nothing more than a filmed version of a cartoon. Casting someone to play a live action Dee Dee would be impossible, given how her character is practically defined by her exaggerated design with her long legs/arms, giant feet, and tiny body. There are lots of characters in both One Piece and Dragon Ball like that (including the ones I mentioned). It's simply not possible to translate everything animated into live action. Typically, something is created in an animated or otherwise drawn/cartoon art form for a reason in the first place. Some stuff is possible, like Death Note for example, something that translated very well into live action, and I could see shows like Tenchi Muyo, Sword Art Online, Blue Exorcist, Sailor Moon, and many anime/manga as live action works, but while you can certainly DO Dragon Ball or One Piece in live action, their distinctive cartoon writing/art styles would have a hard time translating into live action. This isn't a case of physically creating them. This is a case of making them FIT in a live action setting and capturing the look and feel of the original work. Imagine a live action version of Looney Tunes. No, not the hybrid films like Space Jam and Back in Action where the characters ARE their normal cartoon selves in the real world. I'm talking about animating a realistic rabbit like Bugs, a realistic Duck like Daffy, etc. It just wouldn't work. While neither DB or OP are THAT cartoony in their styles, they have their own perks that would make them difficult. They're best suited for animation.
TonyTonyChopper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
The one's that i have seen that are relatively well known

(U.S) (no anime but still) The Last air bender : 3
i still din't think it was the worst thing ever but kinda sucked it was really blend

(Japan) Yamato: 6
Disappointed about the Gamilons u take away half of the story by making then dumb non-human aliens but for the most part was ok

(U.S) DBE : 4.8
It's kind of a weird story with this one i had followed updates about this movie for about 2 years almost every day my first clue it wasn't going to be what it could have been must have been when they brought up High school and stuff and dammn that part was pathetic but i still would say some of the fighting get's it up to 4.9 i did liked Goku vs picollo but the story around it kinda sucked why would you make your own shit up if your already leaving so much out Rolling Eyes

(U.S) Speed Racer 6.2
they actually adapted the source material which is a big plus to me although some effects where kinda weird they where still original

(Japan) Dororo movie (osamu Tezuka's Manga/anime) 7.4
The best live action anime movie that i have seen although it could have been better it was really fun i recommend watching this one

(China) DragonBall the legend begins 7
It's kinda weird but it captures the goofyness of DB perfect and it was fun you can't really hate on this one for some reason (well i can't)
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I grew increasingly tired and annoyed by Ueno Juri's mugging in the live-action version of Nodame Cantabile. I watched the original eleven-episode series and the first two movies, but couldn't make it through the third. I did think Tamaki Hiroshi made a fine Chiaki, though my daughter thought he wasn't handsome enough!
Wow, never thought I'd meet anyone who agreed with me on this. I loved Nodame Cantabile but quite honestly I could've used less Nodame by the end. And when the specials came out I was actually more interested in the supporting cast. (Also, Tamaki Hiroshi not handsome enough?! *pfffft* Kids these days...)

My biggest live-action fails are the Antique J-drama (based on the manga of the same name) and the Korean film You're My Pet (based on the Kimi wa Petto manga). They're both serviceable pieces of entertainment if you ignore the source material, but if you're familiar with it you realize they really dropped the ball.

In the case of Antique they went so far as to change a character's sexuality and therefore the dynamics of his relationships with some of the other characters (if you've read the manga you know what I mean). It makes me wonder why they even wanted to adapt the manga if they intended to do this.

As for the You're My Pet film, they failed to show how stressed and emotionally isolated the Sumire character (I can't remember her name in the Korean version) is, which is what compels her to accept this strange boy into her home as a "pet." Instead she has a group of friends she meets regularly and even a little brother who initially lives with her(!). In fact the film botches so much about the story that it's only similarity is the "woman keeps young man as 'pet' " premise. It lacks all the complexities of the manga and I ended up feeling it was just a vehicle to show Jang Geun Suk (as the Korean Momo) "wan-wan"-ing his way around the place. (Also it ticked me off that he was not shorter than his costar which was a huge point of the story.)

Strangely enough if we flip the situation, the Kimi wa Petto J-drama and the Antique Bakery K-movie are much truer to their source manga (also, dear god why has no one licensed the Antique Bakery movie, I would've bought it 10 times over by now...).

P.S. Interesting reaction to the Gatchaman movie. I still want to see it though. Battle of the Planets is the first TV show-- not first anime, not first cartoon, first TV show PERIOD-- I ever remember seeing as a young child. It wasn't until I got into anime many, many years later that I realized what it was (for the longest time, before the anime boom here in the US, I thought I'd imagined the whole thing). So take that nostalgia element and add costar Ayano Go and a theme song by Bump of Chicken and I'm pretty much sold.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:16 am Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
I grew increasingly tired and annoyed by Ueno Juri's mugging in the live-action version of Nodame Cantabile. I watched the original eleven-episode series and the first two movies, but couldn't make it through the third. I did think Tamaki Hiroshi made a fine Chiaki, though my daughter thought he wasn't handsome enough!
Wow, never thought I'd meet anyone who agreed with me on this. I loved Nodame Cantabile but quite honestly I could've used less Nodame by the end.

I only saw a little of the live-action Video Girl Ai when that anime title was popular, but I didn't see all of it--I saw enough to realize that quirky-crazy anime girls are cute, grown Japanese women trying to be quirky anime girls are insufferable. Shocked
There's just something about Nodame (maybe her fish-lips look?) that just works better in cartoon than in the real world.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:48 am Reply with quote
Purple: Ok, then, how about Guardians of the Galaxy? The fanboys seem to like that, and it's cartoony.

Tony: Agree with you on the live-action Dororo. Wish there was a sequel.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Guardians of the Galaxy looks more akin to Dragon Ball Z, NOT the original Dragon Ball. DBZ certainly has it's cartoony elements, but it doesn't rely on them like DB does so much. DBZ (and heck, even the last arc of DB) could translate into a decent live action movie if done right IMO. I'm surprised nobody has attempted one. There's a few human characters that would be a bit difficult to handle in live action, such as Krillin and Chiaotzu, but overall, it would be much easier to do.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Purple: Ok, then, Men in Black.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:12 pm Reply with quote
poonk wrote:
yuna49 wrote:
I grew increasingly tired and annoyed by Ueno Juri's mugging in the live-action version of Nodame Cantabile.
Wow, never thought I'd meet anyone who agreed with me on this.

Japanese live-action comedies seem to revel in over-acting. I enjoyed the anime version of Moyashimon when it aired, but I couldn't get through even one episode of the live-action version. One reason why I liked the live-action version of Bartender is that the style of acting was much more naturalistic.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Purple: Ok, then, Men in Black.

Nice try, but while MIB is comedic, and even has cartoon elements, all of this was really easy handled with special effects. The writing and story still lend itself well to live action. The two main characters are fairly realistic humans (the same can be said about pretty much all the human characters in those films). Many of the important humans in both Dragon Ball and One Piece are too exaggerated to easily work in live action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4