• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Vote on Their Favorite Anime Directors Post-Miyazaki

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
Goro takes way too much flack. Tales was actually a decent film, the main problem there was its based on Earthsea which basically is impossible to make in a way that pleases LeGuin or or her fan base. But if I just take Tales as a standalone film it is not bad.

Up on Poppy was good however. It was nice well made drama. It got decent reviews unlike Tales, and I thin even old man Miyazaki started changing his tune about Goro making it as a film maker.

I can't see him being the best, but then again the poll was for favorite directors not necessarily the best.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Ah, yes, Yoshiyuki Tomino. That young up-and-comer. That kid's going places. Mostly to the pill line at the retirement home.

I see big things in his future. Mostly mecha doing the Monkey. And 20 hour naps.

Seriously my favorite anime director, though, or at least tied with Shinichiro Watanabe. Yeah.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
E-Master

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
From Up On Poppy Hill was more enjoyable than Tales From the Earthsea. After getting the chance to see Earthsea I can understand why it got mixed reviews, it was no masterpiece but it's one of those "I don't mind watching it again" type of films. From Up On Poppy Hill was a bigger improvement cause I did enjoy the story as well as the characters themselves. But with only those two films, it's kinda premature to list Goro as a personal favorite when he's hardly directed that many films as of right now. Though I am interested in seeing what he'll do later on, cause I like to give him a chance on whether I should list him as a favorite anime director or not.
molibdaenum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
MexicanAnime wrote:
The two that I first thought of were Sayo Yamamoto (Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko, Michiko & Hatchin) and Chiaki Kon (Higurashi, Umineko) with the former being quite talented and distict.

Other lady directors include Soubi Yamamoto (who did some solo anime before doing Meganebu this year) and Shinobu Tagashira (whom I know nothing about)... it's been a busy year for woman directors!!

Personally I'd love to see Shouko Nakamura given the director's chair... her Penguindrum work was the real deal!!

Somehow you forgot to mention Atsuko Ishizuka!
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Makoto Shinkai

peace out

Yep. My man Makoto Shinkai is an easy replacement. He just needs to do more longer films like The Place Promised In Our Early Days.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I love me some Shinkai, but if I'm being honest his narratives tend to lack greatly. He's phenomenal with visuals (practically unparalleled), and he knows how to evoke heart felt emotion out of relatable simplicity, but he tends to drop the ball on plot. His last effort in Children who Chase Lost Voices was his most ambitious attempt to tackle his weakness, and as admirable as it was the narrative ended up kind of messy. I feel like if he had co-director on with him to help keep him focused he could finally bang out a feature length film that evokes the same kind of emotions as his usual work while maintaining a solid narrative. I haven't seen Garden of Words yet though, so who knows, maybe that one will show improvement in that area.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:00 am Reply with quote
I'd say I'm a fan of most guys on the list, but I wish some of my favorites like Kunihiko Ikuhara, Kazuki Akane, Kenji Kamiyama (despite the pretentious mess that was Re: Cyborg 009) and Hiroshi Nagahama got more fan recognition.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:01 am Reply with quote
Klown: I actually like Earthsea, too, but Poppy Hill was draggy. Though I consider him more of a dick for trashing his dad for daringt to bust his ass to put food on the table.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:25 am Reply with quote
I've only seen Earthsea and not Poppy Hill, but BOY, that draaaaged. I felt like the story was all over the place, and there were quite a few unexplained story elements, like why spoiler[did the main character kill his father], why was spoiler[the girl being a dragon important], and what the heck that spoiler[shadow-y doppelganger] was. I mean, I know Ghibli has a thing for being subtle with it's "this is why x happened", but geez, I was seriously missing some context! D:

Totally cool with Hosada, though I have mixed feelings about Wolf Children. Shinkai is a mixed bag for me. I reeeally dug Garden of Words, and I was okay with 5 cm per second and The Place Promised in Our Early Days, but Children Who Chase Lost Voices just felt like either a really bad Ghibli knock-off that combined all it's greatest films together, or a sweet(?) homage to Miyazaki. Storywise, I found it bland, though the world-building was great!

I'm a little surprised to see Morita and Yonebayashi on here; I didn't think their works made much of an impact. Personally, I'd be happy to see Yasuhiro Yoshiura on here (Time of Eve, Pale Cocoon, Patema Inverted), but he might be too new to make much of a splash. u_u
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:56 am Reply with quote
Kunihiko Ikuhara. Kunihiko Ikuhara. Did I mention Kunihiko Ikuhara? Any director who has Revolutionary Girl Utena on their resume gets my vote. Seriously, I've never seen a more carefully-directed animated production, especially one with such deep, thought-provoking, meaningful, and stylistic use of symbolism. I adore that series, and Ikuhara's work. His work on Sailor Moon was also highly memorable, and he's definitely my favorite director of that series.

Mamoru Oshii's work is good too, but it's certainly not for everyone. You must be prepared to have your brain turned on when watching a Mamoru Oshii film.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
Takahata Isao didn't make the list? :<
Splitter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:06 am Reply with quote
There is a great dearth of Hiroyuki Imaishi on that list and in this discussion. He is without doubt the most exciting and prospective director in the business right now.
Samo2222

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
Honestly don't see how Goro Miyazaki is on top. Yeah, he directed Tales from Earthsea and From Up on Poppy Hill. Good movies, but definitely not as good as most on this list.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:29 am Reply with quote
At least I'm pleased to see Mizushima Tsutomu on the list higher than I expected. Top 10 might as well be the most influential directors with already established series. Shame about Akane Kazuki not being mentioned.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
I would be willing to bet people picked Goro Miyazaki just because of his family name, not the actual movies he has made.

I do wish Akiyuki Shinbo was a bit higher. Love the monogatari series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4