• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Fans Vote on Their Favorite Anime Directors Post-Miyazaki

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
I'd say I'm a fan of most guys on the list, but I wish some of my favorites like Kunihiko Ikuhara, Kazuki Akane, Kenji Kamiyama (despite the pretentious mess that was Re: Cyborg 009) and Hiroshi Nagahama got more fan recognition.

Yeah, would like to have seen these guys on there too especially the first three which I've seen a bunch of stuff from that I've loved.

I'm glad Seiji Mizushima made it on, he's one of my favorites, absolutely loved both the first FMA (second was great too ofcourse) and Gundam 00. Oh Edo Rocket was good too, plus Dai Guard was a lot of fun, I've liked most of the shows he's done it seems. Totally looking forward to his upcoming movie.

Also, weirdly didn't realize he was the director for Shaman King until seeing it listed there just now even though I'd looked at his encyclopedia page on numerous occasions.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:08 am Reply with quote
Purple: I'd vouch for Ikuhara, too, if the World of S+M wasn't a mess, and if Penguindrum had a more consistent tone to it. He does have talent, but in my eyes, he hasn't been able to surpass Utena.

luffy: Takahata is older than Miyazaki, and we're just lucky to have one more film out of him.

Enigmatic:
Quote:
I would be willing to bet people picked Goro Miyazaki just because of his family name, not the actual movies he has made.

That's pretty much the story of his "career" in animation in general. Rolling Eyes
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:18 am Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
I've only seen Earthsea and not Poppy Hill, but BOY, that draaaaged. I felt like the story was all over the place, and there were quite a few unexplained story elements, like why spoiler[did the main character kill his father], why was spoiler[the girl being a dragon important], and what the heck that spoiler[shadow-y doppelganger] was. I mean, I know Ghibli has a thing for being subtle with it's "this is why x happened", but geez, I was seriously missing some context! D:

Totally cool with Hosada, though I have mixed feelings about Wolf Children. Shinkai is a mixed bag for me. I reeeally dug Garden of Words, and I was okay with 5 cm per second and The Place Promised in Our Early Days, but Children Who Chase Lost Voices just felt like either a really bad Ghibli knock-off that combined all it's greatest films together, or a sweet(?) homage to Miyazaki. Storywise, I found it bland, though the world-building was great!

I'm a little surprised to see Morita and Yonebayashi on here; I didn't think their works made much of an impact. Personally, I'd be happy to see Yasuhiro Yoshiura on here (Time of Eve, Pale Cocoon, Patema Inverted), but he might be too new to make much of a splash. u_u

How do you spoiler tag on here again. Anyways without spoiling it your last question answers your first.

Like I said, the list was favorite not best, I think too many people look at it and think best. I don't think half the movies in my top ten favorites would qualify as what is considered best film material but they have something that appeals to me.

Although the easy answer is he has the last name Miyazaki, and a lot of people just want will him to at least have half the magic of his father.

Also I was not aware of Goro ever speaking poorly about Hayao, in fact it was just the opposite where Hayao was not pleased about Goro becoming a director.
OrangeVision

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:34 am Reply with quote
Oh wow yamakan is on this list. That's kinda funny.

And I frankly can't imagine why people voted Goro, even enough times to warrant him nr 1 placement. His movies goes nowhere slow.
PusoPimp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote
I had to check 3 times to believe Satoshi Kon wasn't on this list. Does he not count because he's dead? He's post Miyazaki either way though. I've heard he's not as popular in Japan as he is in the western world but I'm surprised as all hell Shinichiro Watanabe wasn't there either.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:49 am Reply with quote
Puso: Unfortunately, even if Kon was still alive, he'd not be on the list, because he was never a success in Japan. Crying or Very sad
PusoPimp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:40 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Puso: Unfortunately, even if Kon was still alive, he'd not be on the list, because he was never a success in Japan. Crying or Very sad

Really? That's a damn shame then, 'cause aside from Paranioa Agent it doesn't feel to me like his work is all that well known in the United Stated either. That might just be because I could be sorta on the younger side as far as Kon fans go.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Yutaka Yamamoto: Lucky Star

Ok, that made me laugh. Wait, why would he even make the list? As a director, he does great closer and openers, shows and movies, not so much. And if it's a scene of just people talking, he'll kill the audience...

With boredom. Well, that was my impression from the first four episodes of Lucky Star, the ones he directed. The other 22? They were better.

And he was still one behind Shinbo, someone actually talented. With a real body of work.

So like so many others, I'll pick "Other". Yeah, question: If the poll was designed so that people would fill in a name then why have such an exact cut off point for the insignificant, or otherwise "everyone else" which would logically follow number 20 anyway? Or, what looks to me, "Other" was a choice in a fixed list of names and the name most people choose to follow Miyazaki was the name "Miyazaki". Shocking, just shocking.

An anime push poll? Which features three Ghibli directors...

I'm sure it's all a coincidence. Do you buy Miyamaki more as a director after this poll? I don't because I still remember being underwhelmed by his work.
shamisen the great

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It's kind of sad that Miyazaki's own son has done more damage to Ghibli's rep than that sex offender Miyazaki.

Wait. What? I hadn't heard that before. What did he do allegedly?
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
MexicanAnime wrote:
The two that I first thought of were Sayo Yamamoto (Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko, Michiko & Hatchin) and Chiaki Kon (Higurashi, Umineko) with the former being quite talented and distict.

LOVE Sayo Yamamoto!!! Another lady director to keep your eye on is Rie Matsumoto who directed Kyousogiga this year. She's got an awesome vision, and like Yamamoto, she's young-- only 28! Both of these ladies are like the exact opposite of the "old men" you usually see in director positions these days. I think in 10 years Matsumoto might be doing what guys like Hosoda are doing now-- maybe in the future she'll be another Miyazaki!

Other lady directors include Soubi Yamamoto (who did some solo anime before doing Meganebu this year) and Shinobu Tagashira (whom I know nothing about)... it's been a busy year for woman directors!!

Personally I'd love to see Shouko Nakamura given the director's chair... her Penguindrum work was the real deal!!

Absolutely on Nakamura and Matsumoto they are both really amazing. I would also really like to see Yamamoto get some more work. Not to mention the director of free. ISHIZUKA is also an amazing director, they really turned sakurasou around quickly not to mention their work on supernatural, I am also super excited on their work on no game no life.
That said can someone hide chiki kon in a deep dark hole somewhere so she will stop hurting every series she directs so much. The only series she did not kill was nodame and that was a near carbon copy of the manga and live action. And even higurashi she really screwed up at times and ryu had to go in and save the project series from her and control her. And I am pretty sure the author of toradora did that with golden time given the sharp increase in quality from the second book onward.

Not to even mention magnus opus of horrible umineko, or àrcania famalia. The lady should only be allowed to work on yoai but with free and other shows trying to high quality shows for that audience there might not be any room left for her anymore.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
kakoishii wrote:
I love me some Shinkai, but if I'm being honest his narratives tend to lack greatly. He's phenomenal with visuals (practically unparalleled), and he knows how to evoke heart felt emotion out of relatable simplicity, but he tends to drop the ball on plot. His last effort in Children who Chase Lost Voices was his most ambitious attempt to tackle his weakness, and as admirable as it was the narrative ended up kind of messy. I feel like if he had co-director on with him to help keep him focused he could finally bang out a feature length film that evokes the same kind of emotions as his usual work while maintaining a solid narrative. I haven't seen Garden of Words yet though, so who knows, maybe that one will show improvement in that area.

Exactly this. Shinkai Makoto does not know how to write stories. He knows how to write longing and loneliness in an extremely relatable way, and damn if his art isn't beautiful, but his narratives are very weak. I finally saw Children Who Chase Lost Voices a few days ago, and quite honestly it comparatively made me really appreciate Tales from Earthsea as a pretty good anime fantasy movie. Shinkai seems best at stories in a short format where all we have to care about is the characters; I actually like Garden of the Words more than anything else he's done.

In other news, I can kind of see why Goro got the votes he did; Poppy Hill was great, and he shows a ton of promise. Miyazaki is by and far the most popular Japanese director there is, and his son looks like he's going to be able to quite competently continue the Ghibli spirit (along with Yonebashi, we can hope). Even if his films aren't yet quite at his father's level (and he only has two films so far, so this is very difficult to judge), they are still very Ghibli, and that means a lot to people.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It's kind of sad that Miyazaki's own son has done more damage to Ghibli's rep than that sex offender Miyazaki.

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about here.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

Japan isn't really crazy about psychological anime, which was his MO.

But yes, the late Satoshi Kon certainly deserves to at least be in the top 20 (as does Watanabe and Ikuhara...but I can't really say who they would bump out)
Myaow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
GATSU wrote:

Seriously, what the hell are you talking about here.

I think he's trying to make some connection between Hayao Miyazaki and Tsutomu Miyazaki (a serial rapist and killer) even though they have nothing to do with each other except having the same incredibly common surname so normally nobody would associate them?? UM!

7jaws7 wrote:
(as does Watanabe and Ikuhara...but I can't really say who they would bump out)

I wonder if Ikuhara and Watanabe aren't here because they're not nearly as prolific as guys like, say, Shinbo? A lot of the names here are people who are releasing new content every year or so, while both Watanabe and my homeboy Ikuhara only returned to directing after decade-long periods of nothing!
PusoPimp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:

Japan isn't really crazy about psychological anime, which was his MO.

But yes, the late Satoshi Kon certainly deserves to at least be in the top 20 (as does Watanabe and Ikuhara...but I can't really say who they would bump out)

They aren't? No wonder you see so little of it these days.

If this were my list I'd have him at number 1, but yes choosing someone to take off would be hard. Hideaki Anno might be one I'd strike, 'cause while Evangelion is a masterpiece (my personal favorite anime of all time) I don't find the rest of his body of work as a director outside the Eva franchise that amazing. I haven't really seen all of it though....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4