• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Unveils 'From the New World's' English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
At this point I almost feel sorry for those who watch english language dubs. Almost Wink .

And for whoever said Sentai was becoming lazy, that's not news. As per usual, the general public will not realize something until it's thrown in their faces, so yeah.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:46 pm Reply with quote
waah... Crying or Very sad

bunch of armchair quarterbacks... Neutral
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
lets not pretend that ANN represents the entire English dub watching community
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:53 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
At this point I almost feel sorry for those who watch english language dubs. Almost Wink .

Yeah, watching dubs sucks. Let's just all import and watch raw Japanese BD's we cannot even understand.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

Yeah, watching dubs sucks. Let's just all import and watch raw Japanese BD's we cannot even understand.

his statement has nothing to do with import. why do you need to import? you can watch it on CR or just buy the English bluray. yes, i'm talking about US bluray.
MarthKoopa

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote
normajean19 wrote:
Sentai definitely needs better QC, that's for sure.

I don't know how many people watched the Bodacious Space Pirates dub(Chris Ayres directed), but WOW there were a lot of missing lines, and a few that were completely broken, and potentially some even wrong.

How can they miss stuff like that? Do they not watch the final product at all?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:55 am Reply with quote
Out of all of his Sentai-era dubs, Chris Ayres has had only one truly good dub to-date and that was Maria Holic. That might have been because of the skill of the actors, despite him; that was a role for which Jessica Calvello was born lol.
Quote:
Isn't it about time for Greg Ayres to retire?

No. He's an unabashed fan, he's a great guest at conventions, he's the "one man QC department" at Sentai and he is a pretty good actor. We've already lost too many ADV classics. Some, like Jason Douglas, have returned while others have not. Don't want to lose any more; I'm still a tad saddened when I hear Shelley Calene-Black as I considered her to be "number 2" to Kelly Manison, an actress who vanished.
BlackJaded wrote:
Anime fans are really fed up to this typecasting every friggin time. No wonder anime dubbing is shit and cannot live to the expectations anymore. Sentai mix up their dubbing titles and send it to BZ or NYAV Post, Ocean Group that's willing to take the grain and make it good.

If only the Japanese dubs would be so criticized. In the eyes of too many fans they can do no wrong. The irony (and tragedy) of fans loving a Japanese dub but hating an English dub which apes it always brings a twisted hybrid of a smile/grimace to my face. That said, Bang/Zoom occasionally hits the mark (with the odds of a blind squirrel finding a nut), NYAV is a tad shakey (Bakuman was awful) and Ocean is pretty darned mercurial. To throw in 2 others from CA, Studiopolis produces dubs so terrible that they should be blacklisted and New Generation can't dub a comedy/ecchi series nowadays to save its life (at least not with the otherwise-great Klein directing). But why outsource to CA when that tends to give an inferior result at a higher price?

Night Raid 1931 was terribad. The dub was stilted, though the show had more than enough suck to have "covered" the dub even if it had been exceptional. Every time I try a new Chris Ayres dub I fear that it will be "the next Night Raid".
Nyoro Nyoromi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:34 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Out of all of his Sentai-era dubs, Chris Ayres has had only one truly good dub to-date and that was Maria Holic.

Maria Holic and "Say I Love You" are the only Sentai-era dubs he's done that have separate script writers. They seem to be moving in that direction on their dubs, so I'll try to stay optimistic for "From the New World." I don't know if it's scheduling or incompetency or what, but a lot of their shared writer/director dubs suffer from the same problems.

I like to hear actors in different kinds of roles, so I don't want to complain about Greg being miscast in any role before giving him a chance, but I do feel like Chris isn't "testing his limits" as much as over casting him.

I thought Blake Shepard would've been Satoru for sure...
Crystal

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:26 am Reply with quote
I loved loved lovvvvved this show and some of these comments are making me feel like I shouldn't like it. :/ Like it's a toxic environment among those who like it.

"Greg should retire, he's old" What the fudge? As opposed to how the the busiest seiyuu are largely in the 18-30 age group (much like pop music or a slightly older Disney Channel)?* I thought VO was really cool because it's something you can do for a long time!

I actually think a lot of these choices seem cool and what I sort of hoped (out of the Sentai pool) would get cast! I almost misread Squeala's actor as "John Kassir". The Cryptkeeper actually would have made a great actor for that character! Laughing

If I have one complaint, I was hoping they would double cast the boys (for ages 12 and 14). Not a big deal for me.

I see no credit for the narrator though or for spoiler[the fiend], although I can see them hiding the latter. Wasn't K silent?

Gonna order this series when I can. Was disappointed it wasn't as successful as some other shows and it was one of the shows I personally enjoyed a lot in a really long time.

*Don't claim "Younger actors are better for young characters"--they're young, but not AS young as their characters. Some of them are like 10 years older, and in the case of Haruka Kudo as Mamoru--why would you need a young actress when she's playing a boy? Wouldn't a 20-year-old playing a boy have to do a "character" voice just as much as a 30 or 40-year-old? I actually found it sorta odd in the original that spoiler[Saki's voice changes more between 26 and 36 than it did between 12 and 26].
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:00 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
If only the Japanese dubs would be so criticized. In the eyes of too many fans they can do no wrong.

Trust me, there are a number of us in the subtitle crowd who criticize the Japanese voice actors. One of the raging questions is whether Kanazawa Hana has become far too ubiquitous. Despite there being a much larger number of Japanese voice actors, a small contingent of seiyuu, especially females, do seem to scarfe up a lot of roles.

Kanazawa plays Maria in Shin Sekai Yori, where she also performs the second ED. I suspected that Kanazawa's agency pushed hard for her to get this gig as she had an album scheduled for release at the time. I don't find her singing voice all that appealing and was annoyed when her song displaced the spectacular "Wareta Ringo" from the ED slot.

My favorite performer in the Japanese original may be Sakakibara Yoshiko as village elder Asahina Tomiko. She has such a rich and well-modulated voice. The contrast between her friendly conversation with Saki and her hateful reaction to later events is stunning.

I pre-ordered the first half of this show for $42 earlier this week when RightStuf sent me an email flyer for their Section23/Sentai sale. I don't know if it's still ongoing, though. It's the first series I've felt the urge to purchase in quite some time. Kill la Kill is probably next.
drdr48

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote
Greg Ayres? Really?!

Does he, like, just automatically being cast to every role originally voiced by Yuki Kaji?

Also, yay! Another reason to watch my favorite show of the year again!
drdr48

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I am not a big fan of Ayers either, but I think he might work as Satoru. I am going to give this dub a try. If it is at least decent, I will probably stick with it.

And another thing, Monical Rial in another Sentai dub; again? I respect her work, but SHE CANNOT DUB EVERYTHING!!

1. How in the world could his voice fit Satoru's. Satoru is supposed to be a BAD ASS. Can Ayers sound like a bad ass? I think NOT...

2. Yeah, I agree. She's in EVERYTHING. I also don't like her voice.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
Well I am generally not the biggest fan of Yuki Kaji who played Satoru either, but he was pretty good in the role, so perhaps Greg Ayres will surprise here as well.

But the real issue who they cast for Squealer. Daisuke Namikawa was amazing in the role and it will be pretty hard to top that.

That being said I generally don't enjoy any Sentai dubs, so I am not expecting much here (and no I am not a dub hater, I usually like Funi and Aniplex's dubs, it's just something about Sentai.)
drdr48

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:31 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Well I am generally not the biggest fan of Yuki Kaji who played Satoru either, but he was pretty good in the role, so perhaps Greg Ayres will surprise here as well.

But the real issue who they cast for Squealer. Daisuke Namikawa was amazing in the role and it will be pretty hard to top that.

That being said I generally don't enjoy any Sentai dubs, so I am not expecting much here (and no I am not a dub hater, I usually like Funi and Aniplex's dubs, it's just something about Sentai.)

Yeah but Kaji proved many times in the past he can play a bad ass character. Ayres? Not really.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:56 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

If only the Japanese dubs would be so criticized. In the eyes of too many fans they can do no wrong.

People do criticize Japanese dubs, although it's quite rare. And i'm pretty sure there's a reason for that.

Even if you've got a very limited understanding of the Japanese language you can tell that Japanese voice actors are more than simply skilled at their work. The fierce competetion and the sheer numbers wanting to get into the industry means that only the top tier voice actors actually become professionals.

To be honest, I don't think you have to speak a word of Japanese in order to tell that. Simply listen to the characters becoming alive thanks to their voice actors.

As for the mention of Kana Hanazawa, the few people who tend to criticize her seem to have a hard time actually making up a good reason as to why she should be criticized, and it usually just ends with "i'm going to criticize her just because she happen to voice an unusually large amount of characters" which is nothing more than ridiculous.

One could assume that she's incredibly popular with Japanese otaku, and in turn that would lead to her getting a lot of VA gigs. It could also be a lot of other reasons, but in the end she's got a distinct voice that I personally think suits moe & bashful characters incredibly good. And it's not just her voice that does this of course, she's very good at making such characters really come alive.

@angelmcazares I can't speak much Japanese, but I have no problem watching anime in its original language because of this new thing called "subtitles" Wink.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4