• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Unveils 'From the New World's' English Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:57 am Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
I loved loved lovvvvved this show and some of these comments are making me feel like I shouldn't like it. :/ Like it's a toxic environment among those who like it.

I do not think anybody is saying that From the New World is a bad show. People are complaining about Sentai dubs.

I also love From the New World, and a potential bad dub will not change my opinion about this anime.

SouthPacific wrote:
@angelmcazares I can't speak much Japanese, but I have no problem watching anime in its original language because of this new thing called "subtitles" Wink.

I am aware that subtitles exist, but I was talking about raw BD's, which do not have subtitles.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Crystal wrote:
I loved loved lovvvvved this show and some of these comments are making me feel like I shouldn't like it. :/ Like it's a toxic environment among those who like it.

I do not think anybody is saying that From the New World is a bad show. People are complaining about Sentai dubs.

I also love From the New World, and a potential bad dub will not change my opinion about this anime.

SouthPacific wrote:
@angelmcazares I can't speak much Japanese, but I have no problem watching anime in its original language because of this new thing called "subtitles" Wink.

I am aware that subtitles exist, but I was talking about raw BD's, which do not have subtitles.

Q: Why are you talking about raw BDs?
Yukirei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Just my two cents. I actually thought Greg would be cast as Squealer, since he did really well as the voice of Bido in FMA, another character with a "not-quite-human" voice. I'm actually not familiar with the VA they cast as Squealer and I really hope he can live up to the role; Squealer warrants a talented VA.

I would have preferred Blake Shepard as Satoru, but I did notice that all three male leads were given VA's that can pull off a "youthful" voice since they all go from pre-to-post-puberty over the course of the story, and Chris Ayres chose to use the same VA's through all ages.

I already knew Greg could feasibly pull off a serious character (Chrono Crusade was probably my first experience hearing him), but I would have had huge doubts about Greg's ability to portray Satoru had I not heard him as Banri Watanuki in InuxBoku. It's still not ideal, but I can fairly easily see that voice being transposed onto Satoru.

I'm a little more concerned about Clint Bickham as Shun. The voice he used for Taro in Ghost Hound is appropriate, but a lot of his other dubs featured a silly, high-pitched voice (think Finland) that wouldn't suit Shun at all.

I figured Monica would be cast as Maria. I know Monica's in a lot of shows but she IS talented... and frankly her voice matches up pretty well with Kana Hanazawa's in my opinion. I might have qualms about using her often, but I don't have qualms about the casting itself.

I've not heard enough of Emily Neves to know if she'd be a good match for Saki. I heard her as Kotomi in Clannad and that was good, but it seems a bit dainty for Saki. Also, there's the fact that she's also Saki's "adult" voice, and i don't know how that would sound. Hopefully she does use a different pitch as Saki gets older.

By the way, the actual list on Sentai's official tumblr was updated with Allison Sumrall as Tomiko Asahina, NOT the queen rat.

speaking of which, it looks like they went with the translation of "monster rat" for "bakenezumi", which I feel is, translation wise, more accurate than the term "queerat" which caught on for many of the subs.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

Your original comment of feeling almost sorry for those who watch English dubs annoyed me. But then I remembered that you pretty much despise everything (not named Anipex) the R1 anime industry produces.

I am assuming you also despise all English dubs and would prefer to buy raw BD's from Japan rather than getting the typical R1 bare bones releases you dread so much.

Sorry for not being upfront from the start.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

Your original comment of feeling almost sorry for those who watch English dubs annoyed me. But then I remembered that you pretty much despise everything (not named Anipex) the R1 anime industry produces.

I am assuming you also despise all English dubs and would prefer to buy raw BD's from Japan rather than getting the typical R1 bare bones releases you dread so much.

Sorry for not being upfront from the start.

I like how people go all dramatic and close to mentally hilarious when they're not able to see the obvious context.

Sentai announces dub ---> Sentai has a reputation of not producing quality content, and that includes dubs ---> I make an honest comment after previously saying that Sentai make some really bad dubs ---> people in this thread seem anything but giddy about the announcement regarding the dub ---> you become upset, since you fail to see the context in my reply ---> end

My point: Sentai makes some really bad dubs, and they do not seem to have any ambitions about improving their dubs, or trying out new things related to their dubs. Because of this I feel that those who watch dubs on a regular basis are missing out. If they're going to put money, time & effort into creating something, why not go all out and make something great?

I don't see why you would react so aggressively to that Confused.

E: I only own one Japanese import, the rest of my collection is composed of US, UK & AU releases. I'm extremely supportive of localizations, if they're done in a good manner that is. If the case is the opposite, i do indeed despise them Wink.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm a guy who really likes dubs, since you miss so much visually from physically having to look at subtitles. I tend not to care so much about voice actor quality, but script issues can bother me. Even so, I find that you miss about as much watching something subbed as you do dubbed with a couple of script rewrites that don't make sense.

That said, the voice acting in From the New World (Japanese) was spectacular enough that I noticed it and it actually added to the experience. I still really want to see the dub. Could it conceivably be bad? Sure. So what? Anything could conceivably be bad. It could also be stellar. If it's on the level of the Japanese dub, it will make me appreciate the show that much more, and I already love the hell out of From the New World.

I feel that a lot of people are dumping on this dub preemptively just because it's Sentai and for whatever reason people just like to dump on Sentai. It's just a memetic thing.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:12 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
People do criticize Japanese dubs, although it's quite rare. And i'm pretty sure there's a reason for that.

Even if you've got a very limited understanding of the Japanese language you can tell that Japanese voice actors are more than simply skilled at their work. The fierce competetion and the sheer numbers wanting to get into the industry means that only the top tier voice actors actually become professionals.

The problem that I have with the Japanese dubs is that the actors all have to play a particular part the same way. While English dubs have a tendency to put the same actors into similar roles across a variety of shows, Japanese dubs have a grating tendency to cast different actors into similar roles but have them all play the roles in much the same fashion. Japanese dubs give us rote stereotypes instead of characters-if you've heard a yan/kuu/tsundere in any Japanese dub then you've heard them in every dub. I prefer the English technique of multiple unique characters having the same voice to the Japanese technique of rote stereotypes having a different voice (albeit with the same vocal mannerisms); Leah Clark actually made Aria from Aria the Scarlet Ammo into a character in her own right, something that Rie "voice of Tsundere" Kugimiya did not.

...I imagine the Japanese actors are much like the stereotypical Shakespearean actor who is forced to continually play the same trite roles ad infinitum, demeaning roles that require no acting depth but yet pay the bills.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
I'm a guy who really likes dubs, since you miss so much visually from physically having to look at subtitles. I tend not to care so much about voice actor quality, but script issues can bother me. Even so, I find that you miss about as much watching something subbed as you do dubbed with a couple of script rewrites that don't make sense.

That said, the voice acting in From the New World (Japanese) was spectacular enough that I noticed it and it actually added to the experience. I still really want to see the dub. Could it conceivably be bad? Sure. So what? Anything could conceivably be bad. It could also be stellar. If it's on the level of the Japanese dub, it will make me appreciate the show that much more, and I already love the hell out of From the New World.

I feel that a lot of people are dumping on this dub preemptively just because it's Sentai and for whatever reason people just like to dump on Sentai. It's just a memetic thing.

I don't miss anything, neither does any of my friends or family. I guess that's one benefit from growing up in a non-english speaking country Laughing. No but really, it becomes second nature after just a few hours to most people, and those who have the troubles you point out are those who tend to conciously think about reading the subs, and that's not too clever.

But if the dub is on the same level as the original Japanese one, I will bow down to the dub itself, because the last dub that was equal or greater than the original was from an anime that originally aired in 1998 and had space cowboys in it Wink.

@Echo_City, you wouldn't star Vin Diesel in a romantic drama. You wouldn't allow Michael Bay to direct a theater play.

If you have something you excel at, you'd think utilizing that would be a great idea. And that's the case with Japanese voice actors, in SOME cases. The vast majority of JP voice actors play many different roles, and it's funny that you bring up Rie "Tsundere" Kugimiya when she's also done roles like Alphonse Elric in the FMA series.

And if you ask me, that was anything but a "moe" role.

In the end, even the JP voice actors that have their own tropes in voice acting roles have done other roles that completely branch out from what they're used to, and they do it more than well. Excellent would be a good choice of words Very Happy.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:02 am Reply with quote
some loser wrote:
I've been banned

I have british relatives & can speak/write english just as good as anyone who speaks the language as their native tongue. I also got my CAE certificate back in HS so I think i've got more than enough experience with the english language.

And to turn your point against yourself, aren't you biased because you speak english as your native tongue? It could lower your standards when it comes to the overall quality of the dub, as you could be more inclined to prefering it over the original Japanese dub.

To further build onto that, that'd mean no one but indigenous Japanese could judge the original dubs. People with poor, or no Japanese skills could not make a statement without being biased, not even those who are completely fluid in the language could voice their opinion without it being biased. Following this logic, you can easily blow things even more out of proportion.

So yeah, better come up with something better, as right now you're pretty much just going "you don't have a say in the matter because you're a foreigner". And that makes me giggle Laughing. Someone screaming "Gajin!!!" in an angry tone comes to mind.

And yeah, it's just you. In the plethora of dubs that are being created today the Cowboy Bebop dub was, and is, a diamond.

To reply to the somewhat racist statement you ended your comment with, here's a present for you:

http://www.thelocal.se/20131107/swedes-ranked-again-best-world-english

I should probably also mention that there are MANY scientific studies that proves that people who are bilingual are more intelligent than those who are monolingual for a plethora of reasons, feel free to ask google-sensei for more on this Wink.

E: I could also add that nearly all Swedes are exposed to the English language on a daily basis from a very young age. Watching movies in English, playing games in English, interacting online, youtube, social media etc, all of those things being in the daily life of a person means you'll become accustomed to the language very quickly. And that is the case with Swedes, and the same goes for other people from pretty much any Nordic nation.
Viking master race Anime exclamation!
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:06 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

I have british relatives & can speak/write english just as good as anyone who speaks the language as their native tongue. I also got my CAE certificate back in HS so I think i've got more than enough experience with the english language.

And to turn your point against yourself, aren't you biased because you speak english as your native tongue? It could lower your standards when it comes to the overall quality of the dub, as you could be more inclined to prefering it over the original Japanese dub.

To further build onto that, that'd mean no one but indigenous Japanese could judge the original dubs. People with poor, or no Japanese skills could not make a statement without being biased, not even those who are completely fluid in the language could voice their opinion without it being biased. Following this logic, you can easily blow things even more out of proportion.

So yeah, better come up with something better, as right now you're pretty much just going "you don't have a say in the matter because you're a foreigner". And that makes me giggle Laughing. Someone screaming "Gajin!!!" in an angry tone comes to mind.

And yeah, it's just you. In the plethora of dubs that are being created today the Cowboy Bebop dub was, and is, a diamond.

To reply to the somewhat racist statement you ended your comment with, here's a present for you:

http://www.thelocal.se/20131107/swedes-ranked-again-best-world-english

I should probably also mention that there are MANY scientific studies that proves that people who are bilingual are more intelligent than those who are monolingual for a plethora of reasons, feel free to ask google-sensei for more on this Wink.

E: I could also add that nearly all Swedes are exposed to the English language on a daily basis from a very young age. Watching movies in English, playing games in English, interacting online, youtube, social media etc, all of those things being in the daily life of a person means you'll become accustomed to the language very quickly. And that is the case with Swedes, and the same goes for other people from pretty much any Nordic nation.
Viking master race Anime exclamation!

I'm pretty sure his point was that a non-native English speaker wouldn't be able to gauge a english VA's performance as well as a native english speaker would which a pretty fair argument considering there are going to be some aspects of it that would be pretty hard to pick up on with the language barrier. It's pretty much the same deal for a english speaker trying to gauge a seiyuu's performance. While I've watched enough stuff that I can generally get an idea of their performance there's going to be things I don't pick up on that a native Japanese speaker would.

As for the Bebop thing while I'd agree it's definentively one of the best dubs ever made there have been plenty of dubs made on that level since then. The idea that all english dubs are mediocore is just as ridiculous as the notion that all seiyuu's bring out amazing performances 100% of the time. I'm willing to concede that on a regular basis their likely to be more consistent than english VA's due to several factors but the gap's not big enough to be that ludicrous about it and most dubs these days will give you a pretty similar experience to the japanese version acting wise.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Did you even read my reply? If not, i'd suggest you do so. If you did, and still failed to understand, I simply have no reply.

Moving on, I think the amount of criticism that English dubs get as opposed to the amount of criticism Japanese dubs get speaks for itself. And don't forget that there's a whoooole lot more people watching subs than there are dub watchers.

And lets not forget that nearly all complaints about Japanese dubs tend to be ridiculous, and not geared towards the voice actor's performances themselves, but rather towards it being in a foreign language, which tends to shy away American people especially. If you want me to list the most used complaints that JP dubs get i'll be happy to do so Smile.

And the gap in voice acting skill between Japanese & American VAs can be explained by how voice acting is in Japan. If you want a brief overview, check this out; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voice_acting_in_Japan

spoiler[Voice acting in Japan is a fierce battlefield, and only the cream of the crop actually makes it into the industry.]

[EDIT: Please do not excessively quote. -TK]
BlackJaded

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

@BlackJaded Do you get upset when Japanese VAs are overused and typecasted? Do you think Japanese voice acting sucks because of overusage? Rie Kugimiya has more credits to her name than many veteran VAs of both languages(English and Japanese) and she has only been doing voice acting for about 14 years, compared to someone like Lex Lang who has been doing voice acting for 20+ or somebody like Megumi Ogata. Eri Kitamura hasn't been acting for as long as Johnny Yong Bosch, yet has as many if not more credits than he does. Oh and nominally and per capita, JP VAs are more overused than the English VAs, so why don't look at both sides? If dubbing sucks because of what you said, then the Japanese must especially suck by your stance.

I don't know about you, but maybe they use these VAs because they're reliable, worthy of the job, have a good work ethic and get the job done on time and budget. Does it really matter how much a VA is used? Not really, as long as they're good. Oh and don't expect Ocean to do more than sporadic dubbing. They've moved on from anime, largely.

All it matter is competition and popularity there in the Japanese VA community. Do they have that hear in US? That's a question you need to answer. If not then there's a problem and need of a solution now.

Again, I have nothing against the Englsih/VA community and all I really want is support of dream dubs in future. The future is NOW and we have gotten no where to that point. We have the technology but no one is not taking it.

As for the studios part, Ocean Group is rolling in dough with MLP and they'll never stop until the cows are dead. Overall, they are going places and they will dub anime but in a higher price. New Generation and NYAV needs to step up and have agreement with Funi and Sentai Filmworks to progress and Texas VA involvement in this.

I may give two knots to care about Bang Zoom but they need impress the community by taking risks and be part with Funi and Sentai more often.

All I'm saying don't waste good anime on crappy dubs just mix it up with others that want this opportunity.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:48 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
At this point I almost feel sorry for those who watch english language dubs. Almost Wink .

And for whoever said Sentai was becoming lazy, that's not news. As per usual, the general public will not realize something until it's thrown in their faces, so yeah.

This comment right here was nothing but troll-baiting.

And from the looks of things, it apparently succeeded. Confused
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
[In reply to a user that is no longer with us...]

1. I am English speaking, and have been speaking the language fluidly since the age of 13. I am part of the intended demographic, if it is as you say. Not a good start to your full frontal, mate.

2. It's not the dub themselves that bother me, it's the way they're done, and the result of rushed efforts. I love the Cowboy Bebop dub and that's because I appreciate good dubs, regardless of language.

3. No I don't.

4. I have seen this many, many times. Dubs vs Subs is far too prevelant in the youtube comment section, and for the most part it becomes a mess of sub-human banter.

5. I have never seen this, but I guess they'd have to be speaking English unless you can speak spanish and understand their first language.

6. Am I really going to have to add "IMO" after every single statement I make? Is that mandatory for some people in order to understand?

7. FALSE. I have expressed many different opinions on them, but never ever have I said that I do not care about them, because trust me, I do. Why do you think i'm so active when it comes to the subject? Would I go out of my way if I did not want them to be good? And what's good or bad is indeed subjective, but in comparison to their Japanese counterparts, American dubs are hurting. And that's not subjective, that's hard fact.

8. Did I ever say that it wasn't competitive? Again, you're asspulling, and it's just making your arguments invalid. But while we're on the subject, I will concur that they are competitive. If it's a job that pays money, there will be competition over it, it's easy as that Wink.

9. It seems you want to start a debate about a completely different matter, and that's not in my interest.

However, while it seemed you did not ask google-sensei about the matter, I can again suggest you do so. While being bilingual does not immediately mean you become Einstein, it is strongly tied to higher intelligence. I never stated that monolingualism = "dumb" folks.

On the PISA: spoiler[The PISA is for 15 year olds, and right now that's the very age group that's having an all time low in test results in Sweden, and this would've been solved already if it wasn't for the politicans in charge, and their love for bringing in every immigrant and their family of 50+ into the country and sending millions upon millions of tax payers money.

This will most likely change in just a couple of years, as it's a know nation-wide problem, and efforts are being taken to resolve the situation.]

@Spaceman, as per usual you only look at the first post and never read the follow-ups. You're not too much of a reader are you Very Happy?
Key

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:33 pm Reply with quote
That's about enough of this.

SouthPacific, regardless of your reasoning, you are clearly coming across as a stereotypical "dub hater," one who disregards all English dubs as trash except for one or two you've actually heard and liked. Points made about how you endlessly complain about how all current dubs are awful despite the fact that you don't listen to them, and how that weakens your arguments greatly, are valid. Your spiel is tiresome, so just get over yourself and accept the fact that maybe - just maybe - not all English dubs made in the last decade are as bad as you think and not everyone who likes them is crazy, stupid, misguided, has no ear for language, or anything else you're none-too-subtly implying.

And seriously, drop this "bilingual people are smarter" crap. That's tantamount to baiting.

IOW, people, this is not going to become another "dubs suck/no they don't" back-and-forth that's going to go on for numerous pages. It stops now.

Now, onto the main point I wanted to address.

Echo_City wrote:
The problem that I have with the Japanese dubs is that the actors all have to play a particular part the same way. While English dubs have a tendency to put the same actors into similar roles across a variety of shows, Japanese dubs have a grating tendency to cast different actors into similar roles but have them all play the roles in much the same fashion. Japanese dubs give us rote stereotypes instead of characters-if you've heard a yan/kuu/tsundere in any Japanese dub then you've heard them in every dub.

This is something I have noticed, too, the more I watch subtitled stuff. (In particular, there's a stereotypical kind of haughty laugh used in innumerable comedy-leaning anime titles that I absolutely cannot stand and so invariably prefer English interpretations.) While performance quality can vary, actual creativity in Japanese vocal performances in anime does seem relatively rare. That's part of the reason why something like Izumi Kitta's performance in WATAMOTE stands out so much to me; it actually dared to be really different.

Quote:
...I imagine the Japanese actors are much like the stereotypical Shakespearean actor who is forced to continually play the same trite roles ad infinitum, demeaning roles that require no acting depth but yet pay the bills.

I have occasionally wondered about this myself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4