• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RTO - Sweet Days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

@Levitz9 About two of the titles you mentioned, Strawberry 100% and I''s, the first one was dropped by Viz during it's run (Viz published 14 volumes, the total manga is 19 volumes), and the other was censored by Viz.

I knew about that--there's no way I can get a "complete" S100% collection NOW, and as for I''s... eh, the censureship was lessened when it became a Shonen Jump Advance title, and censured nipples aren't going to kill me.
minakichan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote
The "buy it/borrow it" recommendation system just sounds a little like "buy it/read the scanlations or read the whole thing in the bookstore instead of paying money for it," since, let's be frank, we all kind of know how we fans work. I'm sure not going to go out of my way to beg friends of library to pick up these kinda-maybe-worth-reading titles.

I guess that's fine since it's not exactly the implication, but I did raise an eyebrow-- I'm certainly not personally above occasional manga cow-ing in the aisles on a Sunday morning (while waiting for RightStuf orders, please forgive my hypocrisy a little bit maybe?)-- but "read it for free" sounds strange coming from a source like ANN. I feel like I should be discouraged from that behavior!
Touma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:52 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
let's be frank, we all kind of know how we fans work.

You might know how you work but you do not know how I work.

Quote:
but "read it for free" sounds strange coming from a source like ANN. I feel like I should be discouraged from that behavior!

Borrowing books from the library is totally legitimate.
There are also places where you can legally read free manga on the Internet.
"Read it for free" does not mean "steal it."
The article is not suggesting or encouraging anything that is wrong in any way.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
minakichan wrote:

Quote:
but "read it for free" sounds strange coming from a source like ANN. I feel like I should be discouraged from that behavior!

Buying, reading, then donating to the library is another option for these not-quite-keepers too.

Love the new column, Rebecca!
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Huh, I was reading Nana just last night and in the bonus pages they were talking about Kagen no Tsuki which I had never even heard of before, this is great timing for me and wish there was an English version of it!
geishageek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Just a small correction. It is Hyde (from L'Arc en Ciel fame) who stars in the Last Quarter live action movie, not Gackt.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
minakichan wrote:

Quote:

Reading from aggregators or from scanlations (or scans of the official translations) is problematic. Reading a library copy is as legal as it gets.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to RTO, dear! I look forward to more columns.

It's funny how I personally could conceivably swap the final Recommendations for Sweet Rein and Nisekoi. The latter I'm admittedly biased toward, given how big a fan I am of Tsukuba's Land of the Blindfolded, but since I also loved Komi's short-lived Double Arts series and couldn't dredge any positive lasting emotions for this new one...

More often than not I balk at master-servant relationships, so it's doubly surprising how much I enjoyed SR. Rolling Eyes I can still be surprised by this industry.
LibraryJoy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:42 am Reply with quote
On the library side (from an Interlibrary Loan Librarian) - Sweet Rein is a pretty new series - vol. 1 only came out in November. Most Interlibrary Loan systems will only lend books that are 6 months old or older (due to provisions in copyright law, I think). So you might have to wait to borrow it. I'm planning on buying it for our library, but it won't arrive until my next order in April. Vol. 2 publishes 4/1/2014. And I like the suggestion of buying it and then donating it to the library. Very Happy

On the manga side - I'm a huge fan of Land of the Blindfolded (it was my first manga ever), so I bought Sweet Rein 1. I didn't mind the master/servant thing at all, and I'm interested to see how the relationship plays out. It doesn't hurt that the series is only 3 vol., so I won't have too long to wait!

And, Rebecca, thanks for taking over the column. I love to get a broad perspective of what manga is out there and worth buying, since they're not well reviewed in the professional library journals. Keep up the good work!
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
@Minakichan

I certainly never intended to encourage scanlation reading - in fact, the two new sections are designed to offer an alternative to it! I read a lot of manga from the library - ILL or the state system help - which, as others have pointed out, is a legal way to do so. (And it will actually be "buy it/borrow it/skip it;" I just didn't have any skips this week.)

@Snootymatt
Thanks! Those are some of my favorites to write too, even if I always have to debate with myself over how much I can say. As soon as I get the next Umineko, I'll review it (although Zac decides when they go up), and I've decided to do the last couple of Higurashi volumes together.

@LibraryJoy
Thanks for the ILL info - I didn't know that. I'll keep it in mind when I'm reviewing. I also loved Land of the Blindfolded, so I was surprised I didn't like Sweet Rein more...maybe it's just that I've never really cared for Christmas stories?

Geishageek
Crap, I always get those two mixed up for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Thanks for the catch!

And thanks again, everyone, for your encouragement. Very Happy
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Touma, I'm guessing Prospector is a statewide search? If you can't get it that way, your local library can also probably access Interlibrary Loan (ILL) - I use that a lot.

I just found out myself that Prospector includes libraries in Colorado and Wyoming.

I had never seen anything about ILL on my library's web site.
After a bit of digging I discovered that I need to do a Prospector search. If that does not find what I want then I get the option of doing an ILL "Worldcat" search.
Now that I know about it I will try using it for a few things.

LibraryJoy wrote:
On the library side (from an Interlibrary Loan Librarian) - Sweet Rein is a pretty new series - vol. 1 only came out in November. Most Interlibrary Loan systems will only lend books that are 6 months old or older (due to provisions in copyright law, I think). So you might have to wait to borrow it. I'm planning on buying it for our library, but it won't arrive until my next order in April. Vol. 2 publishes 4/1/2014. And I like the suggestion of buying it and then donating it to the library. Very Happy

Thank you very much for that information. I will keep it in mind when searching for something new.

I know that my library was a valuable resource, but I am discovering that it is even better, and more amazing, than I had realized.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to see more reviews from Rebecca and look forward to more RTO!

As far as the new format goes I'm excited to see the Digital Manga reviews. On the other hand, at this time I'm not too crazy about the recommendation paragraph. Buy it or Borrow it (and I guess a third option would be Burn it?) seems a little too general for me. The previous for and against arguments along with a grade helped me determine if something would really interest me. Maybe the new format is something I'll just have to get used to, but I'm a little lukewarm on it right now.
Maize Hughes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote
This is fantastic, I love what you are doing, Rebecca. Keep it up!
Vibeke

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:41 pm Reply with quote
I really like all the changes. Keep up the good work! Smile
I wanted to add that Kagen no Tsuki was also officially published in Polish.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
Kagen no Tsuki is definitely in my top 5 most wanted manga licenses. It's haunting, beautiful and it stayed with me for days after I read it. I believe there's a live action movie, which I have yet to watch. It's my favourite Ai Yazawa series, and that's saying something because that woman is a genius.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3