• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Now You Can Wake Up With Your Little Sister, Too

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
merr

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:35 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Little_Hawk wrote:
Doesn't Japan have a declining birth rate?

Yes but this has nothing to do with it nor does a niche a culture. I has to do with the hardcore worth ethic. Go to school, make good grades, get a decent job, work your job until you retire. These are drilled in as the way of life so having children is not on the high priority list.

I think what most people are arguing is that this particular niche is a symptom of the problem, not it's cause.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:49 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't its sister app (haha, pun) be better?

http://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/barokkutoisshoni-mianreruapuri/id811952533

Besides, other imouto apps would do more for ya, deprived Android users! Laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2vyuY7EucI

• There’s an app for that…a scantily clad, sexually suggestive app.

“Good morning, big brother! Today is burnable trash day, don’t forget to take it out!” chirps your cute “little sister” in this newly released free Android app.

Listed under the clever title “Moeru Gomi,” moeru meaning both “burnable” (as in burnable trash) as well as “to have a crush,” this convenient app reminds users when it’s time to take out the trash. Users are free to program their neighborhood’s trash schedule, including type of garbage and day of the week into the app. Your little sister, Haruka, will then greet you with a morning wake-up call on your phone, reminding you which trash to take out for the day. The app comes with over 100 different phrases by voice actress, Momiji Yamamoto, and runs on Android 2.2 or later.

With questionable phrases such as “Big brother, your voice…I like it,” this app goes way beyond simply being a convenient trash day reminder and tiptoes into the realm of an incestuous digital relationship. Oh Haruka!

EricJ2 wrote:

And thus causing the proliferation of boys' anime shows about sister crushes, maids for hire, unwanted harems, marriage contracts with aliens, and other conditions in which girls show up in your life without the inconvenience of having to be, y'know....asked. Shocked

Hey, what's weird is there's actually girls --who are available-- who don't seem want to be asked! Like it's beneath them. Laughing

(Don't girls want to be asked? Thought it'd be flattering. They could always just reply no.)

Little_Hawk wrote:

Yes but this has nothing to do with it nor does a niche a culture. I has to do with the hardcore worth ethic. Go to school, make good grades, get a decent job, work your job until you retire. These are drilled in as the way of life so having children is not on the high priority list.

Well, there's more........ but probably for another day.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
Veniamin wrote:
Hoppy800 wrote:
Veniamin wrote:
Blood- wrote:
Sigh. Japan is doomed.

How exactly?

Young Japanese men aren't having sex and many women are picky and won't date them, so the men and women too in Japan may resort to a synthetic relationship (What us Westerners refer to as Waifu).

That's because their government basically fabricated generations and generations of people to "work hard" and had no time to have sex. This puts a pressure on the younger generation.

I don't see how a niche little hobby has an effect on that.

Both are kinda right, but really it's just easy to blame people being nerds when its mostly the work environment. When you're being bled for every single second to be dedicated to a business, it's not exactly super feasible to get a nice gal. Even if you do, and you work 23.9 hours a day, do you think you and your wife's top priority would be making babies? Japan has the highest suicide rate due to this insane lifestyle. The companies are all trying to back off a bit with this, but it's still taking a toll. It's messed up, yo.

Liking cartoons and a creepy alarm clock aren't going to cause an overwhelming birth rate decline.
Henyoku

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
I know a few people who would love this
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote
merr wrote:
Little_Hawk wrote:

I think what most people are arguing is that this particular niche is a symptom of the problem, not it's cause.

Then there's really very little reason in attacking it when talking about Japan as a whole. Why is the imouto or siscon fetish so big anyway? Likely because these guys are single children; you've never going to see Catholic-sized families in Japan. Even if couples did get together and raise a child, they're more than likely only raising one child per two people, furthering ensuring the population decline's strength in the future.
Just Passing Through

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
Waits for the mother's womb, sleeping bag ads...
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Then there's really very little reason in attacking it when talking about Japan as a whole. Why is the imouto or siscon fetish so big anyway? Likely because these guys are single children; you've never going to see Catholic-sized families in Japan. Even if couples did get together and raise a child, they're more than likely only raising one child per two people, furthering ensuring the population decline's strength in the future.

And because she's the "safe" girl. She's there every day, she knows you personally, she's cute and platonic, and you can talk to her whenever you need to without the "rules" that it's ever going to go any farther than that.
She's the Roommate Who's Always There For You, because she may tease or hug, but she's never going to break up with you.

I didn't mean that to sound creepy, I'm just saying how Japanese teen males would find cute sisters a much more comfortable "training wheels" to be around real girls.
(And that's cute little sisters, of course, because the big ones always held your head in the toilet for swirlies. Razz )
Jamie38459

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Now I feel dirty just by looking at this, I have no idea why :S
Though this is really cute and if I had a phone I would love to have an app like that for my bedroom... I'm not a sicko for saying that, right? Right? I think I need some help now Sad
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Considering how I thought this might be about a company that makes dakimakara using photos of your actual imouto, a cellphone alarm clock app seems pretty inoffensive by comparison.

I guess watching anime has just warped my perspective over what might be seen as permissible in Japan.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:12 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Considering how I thought this might be about a company that makes dakimakara using photos of your actual imouto, a cellphone alarm clock app seems pretty inoffensive by comparison.

I guess watching anime has just warped my perspective over what might be seen as permissible in Japan.
That's because it's only permissible in anime, manga, and games there, hence the reason so much of it exists. Also one has to take into account that what young children there are in japan especially in the bigger cities, 99% of them have no brothers, or sisters so have no actual idea what it's like therefore these fantasies fill the vacuum when they grow up, rather badly, but fill is fill. Wink
TheFullmetalOne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Speaking as an older brother with two younger sisters, I can say from experience that it isn't all flowers and candy. Granted it has its positive moments, however, during our formatve years, it seemed that the three of us were always at eachothers' throats. Sibling rivalry at its finest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3