• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Charged With Recording The Wind Rises With Camera in Glasses

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanfanel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote
Some Goober in Japan wrote:
"It was a favorite film of mine, which I saw 10 or more times. While watching the recorded footage at home, I felt a growing desire to let everyone see it early."

Just sad. How many more people are going to get their lives screwed up over something as silly as movies and comic books before people start getting the message?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote
So, was he charged with "Piracy", or "Criminally stupid ideas"? Confused

(When we have studios putting their movies up for preorder before they hit theaters now, think it's to protect their accounting, not to combat piracy, but it just emphasizes how sad and desperate the once-mysterious theater-cam bootleg industry has now become...
Bootlegging Captain America 2 because you think there's six or seven in people in the country who would gladly pay/torrent because they can't wait for the disk is one thing, bootlegging a movie as a "labor of love" because you wanted to share it? Oh, wow. )
goldenmane

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:15 am Reply with quote
unemployed again, huh?
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:20 am Reply with quote
He is a HERO Smile Cool Surprised

The Japanese need to develop a good technique seriously or get advice from western experts Laughing , now wonder there is never any cam version of japanese movies on theaters.
Banken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:52 am Reply with quote
goldenmane wrote:
unemployed again, huh?

FWIW, Japanese news ALWAYS mentions whether the person is/was employed and what that employment is, as well as whether or not they have a fixed address, or where it is.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:21 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
goldenmane wrote:
unemployed again, huh?

FWIW, Japanese news ALWAYS mentions whether the person is/was employed and what that employment is, as well as whether or not they have a fixed address, or where it is.

Because working people NEVER do bad things, or act creepy in the name of fandom.

(Although I can understand if it was a Japanese fan who decided to act goofy over a Miyazaki film--For a second, read it and thought it was some US fan who wanted to "share his love of Ghibli" through noble piracy. Which would've been even sadder. Rolling Eyes )
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:43 am Reply with quote
I'm wondering how the authorities in Japan, the US or elsewhere will deal with people when "artificial eyes" become a thing. I know it won't be happening for some time ... but it will eventually.

Or maybe Google contacts?

It's a strange old world.

Mark Gosdin
angelaria

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:02 am Reply with quote
"It was a favorite film of mine, which I saw 10 or more times. While watching the recorded footage at home, I felt a growing desire to let everyone see it early."

Poor guy. If you ask me, it's far more disturbing that the police can even track the uploader's IP to their home and name. Can't they just let these people go? It's not like he murdered anyone or did something that's actually bad.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:10 am Reply with quote
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
A man wearing Google Glass with his prescription lenses was hauled out of a theater in Ohio last month and interrogated by ICE, which has jurisdiction over cases of movie piracy.

http://consumerist.com/2014/01/21/man-wearing-google-glass-claims-movie-theater-called-fbi-to-arrest-him-for-piracy/

I thought it was pretty absurd that the agents questioning the guy did not seem to understand that they could search the memory of his glasses by connecting them to a computer. In fact the original interrogators didn't even seem to have a computer with them. They appeared to have no understanding of the technology involved at all, despite being summoned to question the guy about his use of Glass.

I can understand why you might ban Google Glass from movie theaters, but not without any prior warnings or signage.

A quick search at Amazon for "camera glasses" brings up dozens of items. I can imagine lots of settings where such glasses would be unappreciated.
dan9999

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote
angelaria wrote:

Poor guy. If you ask me, it's far more disturbing that the police can even track the uploader's IP to their home and name. Can't they just let these people go? It's not like he murdered anyone or did something that's actually bad.

THIS
nargun

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:19 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Because working people NEVER do bad things, or act creepy in the name of fandom.

No, but if you are the sort of person who does creepy things "in the name of fandom" you're going to find it harder than most to gain and keep employment.

Because a fortiori you'd be the sort of person who does creepy things, which means that people -- employers are people -- will be reluctant to interact with you, "employing you" being among the interactions they might wish to avoid.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
nargun wrote:
EricJ2 wrote:

No, but if you are the sort of person who does creepy things "in the name of fandom" you're going to find it harder than most to gain and keep employment.

Because a fortiori you'd be the sort of person who does creepy things, which means that people -- employers are people -- will be reluctant to interact with you, "employing you" being among the interactions they might wish to avoid.

No, just commenting on the entire stereotypical Japanese mindset that fans of anything are probably latent hikkikomori, who stay holed up in their apartment with their fandom, and developing creepy urges...
And are thus a burden on society because they DON'T WORK!! Rolling Eyes
isoge

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Sharing is caring. Leave the guy alone, useless japanese police Sad
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:01 am Reply with quote
isoge wrote:
Sharing is caring. Leave the guy alone, useless japanese police Sad

Better yet, just buy the disk three months later. (Which will, ironically, probably be easier in the US than in Japan.)
If I wanted to watch in-theater silhouettes of theatergoers in the front rows getting up and walking in front of the screen, I'd watch a Tex Avery cartoon. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4