• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Michelle Lee

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
FYI color banding is very obvious, and if it managed to get past you, the show must be extremely immersing (although color banding would disrupt the immersion...) or you may have bad eye sight Wink. Oh, and if you can actually see the pixels while watching a BD you should ask for a refund.

I don't buy any show that isn't "immersing" in some way. Who would want to buy a show they thought was boring?

I do notice color banding from time to time, but it never seems to enraaaaaage me for some reason. I never said I could see pixels, though it seems there are a bunch of anime fans who count the pixels on every frame and compare the japanese imports to the domestic product. They are usually the same people who freak out if a color is slightly lighter or darker than the Japanese counterpart. It all seems really irrelevant to me.

I haven't seen anyone "freak out" over small details, but if they're obvious I can understand anyone getting upset. Never have I heard of anyone count pixels either hah. Comparing original JP releases and localizations is common, I don't see anything odd or wrong with this. If a color is darker or lighter is very relevant, as there is no reason to distort the image by messing around with brightness levels. Really, there's no reason to do this at all.

And if making sure you got a good product for the money you worked hard to earn seems irrelevant to you, I really don't have much else to say Rolling Eyes.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Lets just say that I don't watch stuff just to look for problems and then go whining about it in walls of text. Rolling Eyes
Felis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Felis wrote:
I tend to avoid Aniplex's premium editions since I think they are way overpriced.

Comparing SRPs of FUNimations Kamisama Kiss (one cour) and Aniplex of Americas Nisemonogatari (one cour) is about a 13% difference in price, if I recall correctly. Of course no one pays SRP but they are in the same ballpark. Both are higher quality offerings but FUNi can give bigger cuts.

True, the SRPs might be in the same ballpark but the actual sale prices aren't. There is about a $40 difference between the Kamisama Kiss and Nisemonogatari sale price. Funimation's releases go on sale at Right Stuf/Amazon etc. whereas Aniplex's releases never do, as far as I'm aware. I only buy DVDs and blu-rays when I see them on sale. If Aniplex would occasionally put their products on sale (like most of the other companies do), I wouldn't have any problems with their prices at all.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Good interview. I'm really glad that Funimation is trying this out. I will boy the Collector's edition of anything that I deem worth purchasing at this point. I don't buy shows that I haven't seen, so if I feel it is good enough to put on my shelf, I will always stretch for the most extravagant release.

luffypirate85 wrote:
The only thing I wish they would include minus some of the gender exclusive trinkets is (if they exist in Japan of course) interviews in booklet with the staff and CDs. I've found their booklets to be lacking in that department. I really like interviews, frame by frame analysis, episode synopsis, etc. I'm also fond of full episode e-konte (reading along with the episode is a blast!) I'm also a big fan of CDs. Both OSTs and insert song singles are very nice in my eyes. I do like Japanese commentary sometimes. Audio dramas would be an AWESOME inclusion in NA releases but is that even possible?? I'm not really a trinket guy (and this is totally more for the female fan with that hairpiece and all) but I do like postcards, clear files, pin ups, etc.

I'm with you on that. I bought the Psycho-Pass PE for the OST more than any of the other stuff. The trinkets will just sit on my shelf, but I would be thrilled to see more along the lines of artbooks, interviews and definitely more OSTs. Very Happy
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Lets just say that I don't watch stuff just to look for problems and then go whining about it in walls of text. Rolling Eyes

No, instead you go whining about other people whining (although this part is questionable) and when you're faced with a dilemma you can't squeeze yourself out of, you give up trying and instead try to make yourself look like the better person Confused.

Oh, and I don't think anyone watch things to look for problems. Perhaps serious reviewers will pay more attention to these things, but not even such folks would have their focus on that.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

No, instead you go whining about other people whining (although this part is questionable) and when you're faced with a dilemma you can't squeeze yourself out of, you give up trying and instead try to make yourself look like the better person Confused.

Look above. Wasn't that you saying how the Psycho Pass boxes were lopsided. And you were doing it without even having the product in hand.

I have the product in hand and will say again that my box is fine. Maybe it's Karma. Laughing

I really think that you are only on here to complain about R1 companies and their products. Oh, ....AND to lord it over other people who can't afford Aniplex stuff. I've seen you do that plenty.

Yeah, you are the "true fan". We get it. Rolling Eyes
phia_one

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I also got my Psycho Pass premium edition and the artbox is fine.

I hope there will be a premium edition with OST for Noragami.

Last edited by phia_one on Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:

Look above. Wasn't that you saying how the Psycho Pass boxes were lopsided. And you were doing it without even having the product in hand.

I have the product in hand and will say again that my box is fine. Maybe it's Karma. Laughing

I really think that you are only on here to complain about R1 companies and their products. Oh, ....AND to lord it over other people who can't afford Aniplex stuff. I've seen you do that plenty.

Yeah, you are the "true fan". We get it. Rolling Eyes

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?15528-FUNimation-licenses-PSYCHO-PASS/page6

http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?27165-PSYCHO-PASS-Season-1-Premium-Edition/page10

^Posts from people who've got the sets.

By the tone of your posts I knew immediately that you did not like me, but I decided to play nice, and it seems you're getting more desperate because of that, which is indeed quite amusing.

You say complain about r1 companies as if I complain about everything and everyone, which is another very amusing statement. I don't want to dwelve on this, so lets stay on the subject at hand shall we? For this matter, Funimation themselves have now said that they will be reissuing replacement boxes in 6-8 weeks, as there was manufacturing problems. And yes, I have "complained" about just this, that Funimation does not do QC well, and right here we've got another prime example of just that.

I'm not sure why you're bringing in a statement as controversial as "true fan", but I can take it you're just gunning for me now right Wink?

EDIT: I should however add that it was nice to see how promptly they resolved the issue, and that's good. Now it would've been better if they had actually checked the boxes properly before approving them, but at least they're fixing their errors.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:

I hope they'll be a premium edition with OST for Noragami.

I guess we both have good karma, then. Wink

I hope this experiment works out well for Funimation, because I would love to see a bells-and whistles set for Norigami.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:14 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

100$+ for one title? I know anti-aniplex people likes to blow things out of proportion, but that's what Aniplex charges for their titles.

Oh, and just as expected there was something wrong with the Psycho-Pass release, with the art box being lopsided. I don't know how that was able to slip past the oh so very competent quality assurance team, but it did. I hope the aren't technical issues as well, but it sure wouldn't surprise me.

I got both of these premiums. My Psycho Pass box is not lopsided at all. The show looks fine to me, but then I don't watch a show in order to look for color banding, or to stop it every frame to count the pixels.

Oh, and I didn't pay over $100.00 for either of these sets. Do you look for the most expensive retailer when you shop or something? Anime dazed

My compliments to Bamboo for an interesting and in-depth interview. Hope to see more of these.

...color banding and malformed boxes are actual, reported problems for the Psycho-Pass LE?

This isn't Serial Experiments Lain "2.0" is it?

Color banding annoys me greatly. It, and other video flaws, have broken my immersion-slapped me back to reality-in many a Crunchyroll stream. Having encountered fans who believe that Crunchyroll quality = bluray quality because of CR's "1080" option I wouldn't be adverse to the Blu-Ray Disc Association forcing CR to put a disclaimer up Wink
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:16 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
...color banding and malformed boxes are actual, reported problems for the Psycho-Pass LE?

No. There hasn't been any color banding reported. Not publicly at least. The malformed box problem is apparently real, but everyone I have talked to(who bought it), including myself, have perfectly fine box sets.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Felis wrote:
Funimation's releases go on sale at Right Stuf/Amazon etc. whereas Aniplex's releases never do, as far as I'm aware. I only buy DVDs and blu-rays when I see them on sale. If Aniplex would occasionally put their products on sale (like most of the other companies do), I wouldn't have any problems with their prices at all.

I won't buy either Funimation or ADV releases unless they're heavily discounted (if I buy them at all, since I always have a/v/packaging quality concerns with their titles); I feel like I'd be wasting money if the purchase price is close to their typical MSRP because they go on sale fairly regularly through TRSI, Amazon, etc. They just seem to set their MSRP too high just so that heavy discounts can be offered by retailers. AniplexUS's pricing is more stable, and I usually have no issues with buying their releases.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys, Funi just posted on their blog more info on how simulcast views support home releases
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:30 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Hey guys, Funi just posted on their blog more info on how simulcast views support home releases

That was actually super helpful! Thanks for that! Very Happy

Here is the link as well:

http://www.funimation.com/blog/2014/02/28/follow-up-to-our-anime-news-network-interview/#more-3919
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
I do love these industry interviews!

Also glad to here about the Attack on Titan LE. Pre-ordered via TRSI.

phia_one wrote:

I hope they'll be a premium edition with OST for Noragami.

Another here with a fine Psycho Pass set, though I haven't started watching yet. Truth be told, I did almost get cold feet ordering it. Usually, with anime releases, I can wait and see what people are saying. I don't do the same with limited/premium releases, so there's more of a gamble.

I would potentially buy a Noragami LE release as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4