• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
FUNimation June 2014 Solicitations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
So I got my copy of the Shiki SAVE edition... and it has a cardstock (I think that's the right term) artbox, what I can assume is the same as the LE part 1 packaging. I'm not complaining or anything, but isn't that rather odd? If they were to recycle packaging why wouldn't they just bundle the non-LE releases?
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 2:49 am Reply with quote
I don't really know why they do that either. Maybe Funi overprinted the LE boxes?

And I guess that I'm buying the Shike SAVE edition then! The LE is still available at an online retailer that I always use and I was holding off buying it until someone confirmed what the SAVE edition looked like.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:07 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
So I got my copy of the Shiki SAVE edition... and it has a cardstock (I think that's the right term) artbox, what I can assume is the same as the LE part 1 packaging.
I have the Shiki LE (got it before SAVE) and its not cardstock, its probably chipboard which is like cardboard but usually all this stuff is made from recycled paper products anyways. Usually cardstock is the same thickness as what it sounds like, like your Hallmark greeting cards or postcards. Its thick paper and usually what you find on anime slip covers/slip box (not my pic btw). I sometimes found the cardstock is doubled to make it more rigid, like in digipacks (my Garden of Sinners LE is this way) and some slip covers/slip boxes have some folding over as well to make it more rigid (my slim pack of Ergo Proxy I believe).

Still you guys are getting a great deal getting the whole series with the artbox at half the price I payed for.

Ortensia1980 wrote:
I don't really know why they do that either. Maybe Funi overprinted the LE boxes?
I think some stuff just hasn't sold well. The Princess Jellyfish LE ended up getting discounted at one point to about $20 and of course the Shangri-la LE turned into a SAVE edition as well. Shiki and Shangri-la didn't even get a classics release from Funimation, just went straight to SAVE. So they probably bombed.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:22 am Reply with quote
The original LE box for Shiki is definitely chipboard.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
For comparison, here are the original Shiki LE box set and Funimation's S.A.V.E. edition of Shakugan no Shana:

As you can see, the Shiki box is a side-loading thick chipboard while the Shana box is more of a thin cardboard sleeve.

I will say, though, that the Shangri La S.A.V.E. edition that was just released was pretty much the original LE slot-loading thick chipboard box with just a paper S.A.V.E. insert, but it was DVDs only, not a BD/DVD combo pack.

Regardless, there's no denying that Funi has really stepped up their S.A.V.E. packaging while at the same time managing to keep the prices on par with their older, uglier S.A.V.E. releases.
Vata Raven

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
So...does the SAVE Shiki edition come with an art box, or just a slip-cover?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Artbox. And yeah, chipboard. I knew cardstock didn't sound quite right. It's actually that exact same box as the one in the pictures above, though there is a paper taped to the back (that you can take off carefully) that lists various information and gives a summary and has the SAVE logo.
Altacia

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Artbox. And yeah, chipboard. I knew cardstock didn't sound quite right. It's actually that exact same box as the one in the pictures above, though there is a paper taped to the back (that you can take off carefully) that lists various information and gives a summary and has the SAVE logo.

Hope they are all like that...

Mine's on it's way finally. Smile
Akaname

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Everyone needs to check their Attack on Titan discs. From Rightstuf:

Quote:
Attack on Titan Limited Edition Disc Error

Posted on: Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A number of customers have contacted us with concerns about the Attack on Titan Part 1 Limited Edition, reporting that discs have been scratched on arrival and episodes have been skipping. We are aware that this is an issue with some copies of this item, and we are currently working with Funimation to look into this further. We will have more information as soon as it becomes available. If you find your copy has scratched discs and/or skips, please contact our friendly Customer Care team with details on your copy. Thank you very much for your patience.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Akaname wrote:
Everyone needs to check their Attack on Titan discs. From Rightstuf:

Quote:
Attack on Titan Limited Edition Disc Error

Posted on: Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A number of customers have contacted us with concerns about the Attack on Titan Part 1 Limited Edition, reporting that discs have been scratched on arrival and episodes have been skipping. We are aware that this is an issue with some copies of this item, and we are currently working with Funimation to look into this further. We will have more information as soon as it becomes available. If you find your copy has scratched discs and/or skips, please contact our friendly Customer Care team with details on your copy. Thank you very much for your patience.

There's a small, small embedded 'smudge' (I'm hesitant to call it a chip) on disc 1 of the DVD copy, but the other disc and the blu rays (which are the only discs I'll be watching anyway) are fine.

I am a little concerned, though, because I'm selling a sealed copy on ebay and I don't want to unseal it to check, nor do I want to put a caveat in the auction stating 'the discs MAY OR MAY NOT be scratched,' as that would likely deter people from purchasing it. So I'll just cross that bridge if and when I get to it.

On another note, the digibook kinda irks me. I'm not very pleased that it cannot be removed from the box packaging (as some of the stock photos of the set would lead one to believe). I'm also a little bothered by the fact that the box doesn't seal up when closed (just kinda folds in with nothing to hold it closed), but that's more nitpicky on my part.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Sohma_Curse wrote:
On another note, the digibook kinda irks me. I'm not very pleased that it cannot be removed from the box packaging (as some of the stock photos of the set would lead one to believe). I'm also a little bothered by the fact that the box doesn't seal up when closed (just kinda folds in with nothing to hold it closed), but that's more nitpicky on my part.
So it doesn't snap closed? I've seen this style before, but I'm not sure there was a booklet inside the ones I've seen, and I'm pretty sure the ones I saw that were similar to this style snap closed. I saw it on a live-action special edition that I can't remember and I think the old R.O.D TV had a LE set that had a similar digipack setup. I'm surprised, hopefully with the second season they will do something like provide a box that these digibooks will slide into and therefore give them some protection.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
I'm surprised, hopefully with the second season they will do something like provide a box that these digibooks will slide into and therefore give them some protection.

Let me clarify 'digibook' by saying the actual art book thats included with the full digibook package is not able to be removed and enjoyed on its own. It's glued in between the two hard trays that hold the discs which makes thumbing through it kinda cumbersome.

Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
Even without the scratching problem, that looks really awkward. As a design choice it comes under the heading of "what were they thinking". This is supposed to be one of the biggest releases of the year and they messed up big time.

Can anyone describe or show photos of the standard edition??
Nocturne123

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote
Most Digipaks are like that if there is an artbook. It's not a huge screw up.

Honestly Im not a huge fan of the digipak format in general but I got it anyways because the show is good
Akaname

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Even without the scratching problem, that looks really awkward. As a design choice it comes under the heading of "what were they thinking". This is supposed to be one of the biggest releases of the year and they messed up big time.

Awkward is a good choice to describe it. Why they deviated from the norm is a mystery.

Sohma_Curse wrote:
There's a small, small embedded 'smudge' (I'm hesitant to call it a chip) on disc 1 of the DVD copy, but the other disc and the blu rays (which are the only discs I'll be watching anyway) are fine.

That's exactly how I would describe my set. I'm not too concerned since I'll be watching the blu-rays.
The fact that the discs are overlapping is really the biggest problem for me. This release is one giant step in the wrong direction for Funimation. It would be in the right direction for some others, but I don't expect this crap from them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4