• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's The Wind Rises Opens Wide in N. America

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wohdin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:40 am Reply with quote
Why is this film not a nation-wide release? As far as film goes, this isn't some kind of "niche" title. Pretty much everyone who even knows anyone who has ever heard of Miyazaki almost certainly will want to see this. They're making a huge mistake not bringing this to a full theater release.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm also disappointed that it's not playing anywhere near me. The nearest theater with it is an hour away, and I really doubt I can convince my fiancee to want to drive that far just so I can see a movie.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
Why is this film not a nation-wide release? As far as film goes, this isn't some kind of "niche" title. Pretty much everyone who even knows anyone who has ever heard of Miyazaki almost certainly will want to see this. They're making a huge mistake not bringing this to a full theater release.

Because by having it playing on screens reduces the number of other films you can play, films that will more likely bring an audience. It was never going to get a typical wide release because theaters would consider it a waste of time and money. You're also overestimating the American fanbase size or even ones knowledgeable of Miyazaki/Ghibli films. Besides that, it has no chance come Sunday and families would rather take their kids to Lego or Frozen, as this really isn't even for children.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:01 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Besides that, it has no chance come Sunday and families would rather take their kids to Lego or Frozen, as this really isn't even for children.

Although I'm also a good 80% certain that Frozen will be taking home the Oscar, I'm actually not going to write off The Wind Rises's chances completely yet. Reading a ton of western reviews, there actually seems to be a lot of passion from critics regarding the quality of the movie, and quite a few suggestions that it should win. Of course, it's quite likely that members of the academy won't even have seen The Wind Rises and will certainly have seen Frozen, so it really would be a dark horse...
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Besides that, it has no chance come Sunday and families would rather take their kids to Lego or Frozen, as this really isn't even for children.

Although I'm also a good 80% certain that Frozen will be taking home the Oscar, I'm actually not going to write off The Wind Rises's chances completely yet. Reading a ton of western reviews, there actually seems to be a lot of passion from critics regarding the quality of the movie, and quite a few suggestions that it should win. Of course, it's quite likely that members of the academy won't even have seen The Wind Rises and will certainly have seen Frozen, so it really would be a dark horse...

There is a 0% chance Frozen will lose the Oscar on Sunday.

Also, 500 screens is OK for a PG-13, adult-targeted animated film. Arrietty opened on 1200 and was dramatically more family-friendly and that only managed to pull in about $20 million domestic. It's what they felt was reasonable. Wind Rises will likely be out on Bluray in the next couple months anyway.
JackCox

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Had the pleasure of seeing this earlier this week, I'm in Toronto and so I got the limited release. It was absolutely fantastic.
RealJpoe

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I was really surprised that my local theater chain picked it up in at least one of the five they have around town. I usually have to drive 2 hours to Atlanta for these screenings & that is still a 50/50 shot of an anime film playing there.

The crowd seemed diverse enough at the 3pm showing I went to. A few guys like me in their 20's, a group of older maybe late 30's women & a few young high school kids. As for the film I enjoyed it even though I felt it had a very uneven pace. Need more time to let it sink in before I make a final judgment call.
Levitz9

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Oddly enough, it's not the "zOMG, WWII! Kamikaze planes!" thing that bugs me: it's that the movie decided that making up a sickly wife was a good idea for the story.

I'll make up my mind when I actually go see the movie, but my philosophy towards this is "if you need to embellish a story, you shouldn't be telling it, and you shouldn't be telling it." Whether or not the movie needed a romanticized wife dying of TB is something I'll leave for when I see the film, but it reeks of Miyazaki doing his thing where he doesn't let details like writing get in the way of his really, really pretty vistas and heart-rending human drama.

I'll get off his lawn now.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
As good as The Wind Rises is as a film, the subject matter behind it isn't going to be a crowd pleaser and not everyone is going to like it for obvious reasons.

As for which film I am rooting for to get that Best Animated Film Oscar coming this Sunday, I am so rooting for Frozen to win and plus, "Let It Go" better win that Oscar for Best Original Song too!
aoi yuuki fanboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I saw this tonight, it was good. I wish they expanded on Jiro's ego problems and fleshed out Satomi. It still managed to interest me in airplanes. The 'controversy' is nonsense, the film was very anti-war. Go see this, and hope it wins over the pandering that Frozen is.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:11 pm Reply with quote
wohdin wrote:
Why is this film not a nation-wide release?

No audience. Parents want to take their kids to see Disney Princesses or Lego toys, not WWII planes and war themes. That leaves the only people who will see it anime fans and artsy fartsy film goers, which isn't enough to justify huge nation-wise theater slots. People need to expect any anime movie is going to have a limited running because of subject material and cultural differences with the audiences.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:16 am Reply with quote
mgosdin wrote:

Now it is true that a PG-13+ animated film does not have any proven track record in the US, however films in Chinese with subtitles didn't either ... until someone risked it. One of those played to sold out houses in my old home town of Muskogee, Oklahoma, about as small market as it gets and a seeming world away from Orlando, Florida.

No risk, no reward. Just say'n it.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon needed a ton of good word of mouth to get going, and even then it took a while. Look back at its theater count record:

Week 1 - 16 theaters
Week 2 - 31
Week 3 - 143
Week 4 - 162
Week 5 - 172
Week 6 - 693
Week 7 - 837
Week 8 - 868

About 900 theaters is when it's considered wide release, so it took 2 months. That's not a lot of risk.

Hiro94 wrote:

I still wonder why the release is so limited compared to Arriety?

A G-rated film based on an English book with an universal story.

Also remember, even many Japanese youths were bored with Wind Rises:

• But since the preview screenings for the general public started earlier this month, there has been some mixed response on the Japanese internet. The main objection raised seems to be that the plot is hard to understand or even worse, boring, especially for young children, so much so that some parents have commented that their children couldn’t sit still through the movie, while another parent confessed, “When I asked my child what he thought of the movie, ‘I didn’t get it,’ was all that he would say.”

It's just more limited appeal.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:12 am Reply with quote
mgo:
Quote:
Now it is true that a PG-13+ animated film does not have any proven track record in the US, however films in Chinese with subtitles didn't either ...

If you're talking about CTHD, it still started out in limited release.

Pokenatic: Ponyo is also for children, and as such, justifies the release it got, because it helps boost sales of the DVD/BD at Wal-Mart.

Hiro: RE: Arrietty. See my above comment about Ponyo. Also, Disney had nothing to do with Poppy Hill's distribution here.

woh:
Quote:
As far as film goes, this isn't some kind of "niche" title.

It's niche, in terms of subject matter, even in Japan.

walw:
Quote:

Still, it had a good first weekend here.

Zac:
Quote:
There is a 0% chance Frozen will lose the Oscar on Sunday.

There should've been a 0% chance that Beauty and the Beast lost the Best Picture Oscar, too. Wink

Quote:
Also, 500 screens is OK for a PG-13, adult-targeted animated film.

That's as far as Persepolis got, too. Though that one seems like it's still for younger audiences, but with slightly more mature subject matter.

Levitz:
Quote:
it's that the movie decided that making up a sickly wife was a good idea for the story.

It's not any different as a plot device than the ones in every other Oscar-bait movie. Rolling Eyes

Lyco:
Quote:
As good as The Wind Rises is as a film, the subject matter behind it isn't going to be a crowd pleaser and not everyone is going to like it for obvious reasons.

And yet, ironically, a majority of American viewers seem to be going with it. My feeling is our own experience being trapped in a war machine makes us a little more sympathetic to the Japanese than we would've been in the past.

Mister:
Quote:
Parents want to take their kids to see Disney Princesses or Lego toys, not WWII planes and war themes.

Parents would probably wanna see it, but they have to explain to their kids why smoking is bad-assuming the kids stay awake long enough to notice. Laughing

enurtsol: I wouldn't say Arrietty has a 'universal' story, but it does use a standard fantasy template. And yeah, I can see why even kids in Japan would not be able to relate to The Wind Rises. The war in itself must seem like ancient history to them, while any antebellum event must feel like the Stone Age in an era of texting. Plus, Japan's no longer even the second biggest economic power, and the whole national pride over manufacturing thing probably took a hit ages ago. So a plane with the rising sun probably means as much to that generation as street racing vehicles with those gaudy moe stickers.
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
@GATSU

I'm not just talking about the American perspective, I am also talking about China and South Korea's perspective and suffice to say, I don't exactly blame them for accusing this film for glorifying Imperial Japan and we all know how rather tense the relationship with China/South Korea and Japan really is because Jiro after all, did design the warplanes and was used during the attacks in Pearl Harbor and the Kamikaze attacks all thanks to the help of Chinese and Korean slave labor to make these things and it wouldn't surprise me if the film is banned in China and South Korea.

Don't get me wrong, The Wind Rises is a good film but I personally feel that it is not Miyazaki's best. Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke are in my opinion, his much better films.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:55 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
There should've been a 0% chance that Beauty and the Beast lost the Best Picture Oscar, too. Wink

It was up against Silence of the Lambs though, which is hardly a forgotten movie that won as a fluke.

I am pretty sure one of my local theatres is playing this, since they had the movie poster up for it. But I honestly don't know how much appeal there is for me, given touchy subject matter and the fact that most Ghibli movies were, for me, at best "okay."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4