• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Miyazaki's The Wind Rises Opens Wide in N. America

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:09 am Reply with quote
I saw the movie last night, visually I loved it, even if alot of stuff did drag out too much, but content wise, pretty mixed feelings, I liked the romance aspect even if that was fictional, the plane stuff was neat. But knowing why the planes were being made was kind of a "bad touch" feel. And the whole making A movie about making war machines but still trying to fit an anti war message in there, its interesting to say the least, but still leaves you with mixed emotions.

Overall A decent swan song for Miyazaki, I'm glad I saw it, but probably wont buy the physical release of this one.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:21 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

It was up against Silence of the Lambs though, which is hardly a forgotten movie that won as a fluke.

I don't think Beauty and the Beast was the favorite to win that year at all, it was always Silence of the Lambs.
aoi yuuki fanboy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
>touchy subject matter
there isn't any
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
BoxOffice.com's early weekend estimates have The Wind Rises at #2 on the "Limited" chart with a projected weekend take of $1.65 million, behind American Hustle. Overall, if the projection holds, The Wind Rises would only be about the #12 highest earning movie at North American cinemas this weekend.

Of course, it's only a projection based on Friday numbers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Lyco:
Quote:
I am also talking about China and South Korea's perspective

Do the Chinese give a f**k about the perspectives of the Tibetans, the Falun Gong, and the protestors at Tiananmen Square? Do the Koreans care about the perspective of the sweatshop workers they're frequently outsourced to?

Quote:
I don't exactly blame them for accusing this film for glorifying Imperial Japan

And how many films which glorify the Kim family mafia up north do they let slide?

Quote:
and we all know how rather tense the relationship with China/South Korea and Japan really is because Jiro after all,

It's tense, because the Chinese are still stuck in the Cold War like Putin, and they're still eager to nuke the hell out of Japan as payback for a war in which the latter country lost, anyway. So they're constantly looking for a pretext.

Quote:
did design the warplanes and was used during the attacks in Pearl Harbor and the Kamikaze attacks all thanks to the help of Chinese and Korean slave labor

And we buy iPhones with the help of Chinese and Korean slave labor. So I guess we're more civilized than those JP bastards. Rolling Eyes

marie:
Quote:
It was up against Silence of the Lambs though, which is hardly a forgotten movie that won as a fluke.

True, but the main reason it won was the Academy didn't like the idea of a cartoon beating their precious live-action pics in the race.

Tenchi: Seriously, I'm really impressed by that. The most "mature" types of cartoons I always assumed casual viewers went for in America were in the vein of South Park. Did they just suddenly get tired of that shitty, over-priced, cookie-cutter talking 3D animal/object gimmick one day, and I wasn't told? But I guess now it has no choice but to open wide.
JediSamurai7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:22 am Reply with quote
Not playing in a single theater in a decent diameter of my area.

I will have to catch this on Blu ray eventually.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:18 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Wind Rises will likely be out on Bluray in the next couple months anyway.

You expect the film to be out on Blu-ray earlier than (or at the same time as) the Japanese release? That'd be different...
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:23 am Reply with quote
Ingraman: Supposedly, The Wind Rises and/or Princess Kaguya were unusually over-budget by Ghibli standards. And as of last year, at least, they still haven't been declared profitable. So I guess their normal stance of, "We only care about Japanese consumers" will be waived this time around, hence a potential same-time international home vid release. It's probably why Miyazaki explicitly stated his anti-war views. He knew he had to make money on the damned film, so he had to avoid more controversy than he already has to just get into the U.S. market. Otherwise, Disney would probably not touch it with a ten-foot pole outside of Japan. [Note that this doesn't mean I consider his statements to be phony. He's just expressing what he's always felt about the war, but he had to do it for business purposes this time.]
Ingraman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:43 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I guess their normal stance of, "We only care about Japanese consumers" will be waived this time around, hence a potential same-time international home vid release.

If it happens, it happens. I don't care either way, but I'll be surprised/impressed. I'll be importing the Japanese release, even if the US release actually happens first.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
BoxOffice.com's early weekend estimates have The Wind Rises at #2 on the "Limited" chart with a projected weekend take of $1.65 million, behind American Hustle.

The weekend "Actual" for The Wind Rises has it at $1,517,404, over $100K down from the Saturday projection. I'm going to guess that the Oscars were a spoiler on the Sunday box office (not because it lost, but because much of the audience that would watch a non-kid-oriented Miyazaki film in theatres were at home watching the Oscars or maybe at an Oscar party).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:16 pm Reply with quote
@GATSU

I would say something but since Frozen won its two Oscars, I really don't care anymore and once again, as good as the film is, it's not Miyazaki's best and don't get me wrong, I'm glad I saw it but I have no interest in seeing it again.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:14 pm Reply with quote
So........ how full were the theater rooms where ya guys saw Wind Rises?
aoi yuuki fanboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
^
I saw it twice (sub then dub) and there were about 40 people in the theatre both times
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:10 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol: I saw a lot of oldies at my L.A. screening last year.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:25 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

enurtsol: I saw a lot of oldies at my L.A. screening last year.

Old people?

aoi yuuki fanboy wrote:
^
I saw it twice (sub then dub) and there were about 40 people in the theatre both times

Just a few rows in ours.

Dunno if this'd be justified for further screen expansion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4