• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Vampire Nonsense

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rail2k4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote
Hhmm no positives for Grappler Baki. I don't believe this anime has gotten old at all. You get to know the other characters in the tournament through their fighting. Really it's tiring when all you get to focus on is the main character, why not focus on the others fighters for once. Plus you get the whole first season to focus on Baki give Baki a break lol.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote
Personally I feel that Baki explores the art that can be found in fighting, and shows what limits that we as humans beings have. It shows if we cross the line, that this might happen, or that.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:30 am Reply with quote
I will be the first to admit I know nothing about Baki. I just think the characters looked incredibly dumb. Maybe it's latent anti-jock aggression from high school bubbling to the surface.

But a lot of people would say the same things about DBZ, which I personally enjoy, so I'm not throwing any stones in this house, I like the glass too much Smile
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
I'll be interested to see how Shelf Life treats the later Eureka 7 volumes when the characters get all pisy with each other and Renton is constantly being beaten up for no reason. Man am I annoyed with this show. Now excuse me while I go watch the latest episode I recorded off CN.
Well, it gets much better in the middle, no? The unstable-Holland-kicking-Renton arc will end soon enough on CN. By the time the plot gets a little silly and confused at the end I'm far too into the characters to care. Renton and Eureka really grew on me.
Iritscen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:27 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear that Holland gets over his Renton-beating phase. Of course right now Renton is a runaway, but I'm sure he'll be back sooner or later. What annoys me is that everyone on the Gekko is calling Renton immature for running away. But if you don't even know what you're doing in a place and everyone is treating you like crap or refusing to talkto you, naturally you should leave. I don't get it.
lhernan02

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
lhernan02 wrote:
Sorry to go off topic a bit, but am I the only one that gets this "Trigun with vampires" groove from Trinity Blood?

Did someone just say Hellsing? 'cause I think I just heard someone say Hellsing. HELL-SING! HELL-SING!

Sorry chap, you heard "Trigun with vampires" not "Hellsing." I can see where the mistaken identity may lay, but Hellsing was never silly and Trinity Blood is pushing the "silly-o-meter" rather hard so far just like the early eps of Trigun, before the Gung-Ho Guns started showing up.
Samurai-with-glasses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
I'm glad to hear that Holland gets over his Renton-beating phase. Of course right now Renton is a runaway, but I'm sure he'll be back sooner or later. What annoys me is that everyone on the Gekko is calling Renton immature for running away. But if you don't even know what you're doing in a place and everyone is treating you like crap or refusing to talkto you, naturally you should leave. I don't get it.
Hmm...I didn't get the same impression as you, though. More like they're more concerned with Holland's unstable behavior, and how Renton's just an unfortunate victim of his (currently unexplained on CN schedule, and I won't spoil you) frustration.

spoiler[The next few episodes will be quite heart-wrenching, by the way, if you care for the characters Renton and Eureka. Especially Eureka.]

You'll like to know that he won't hit Renton any longer, though; the only time he'll beat up Renton again, I think, will be much, much later and that's a comedic episode anyway. Smile

*runs off to buy the DVD*

Typo edit
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Okay people, for the ones that haven't seen Grappler baki:

the reviewer just hate it, because he or she (maybe is she) is not the target audience for this kind of show.

I have to recognize that Baki has a lot of story, but it delivers what it promises, martial arts, I saw the complete anime series long ago and is cool, along with Hajime no ippo is one of the best fighting manga/anime ever, dont throw DBZ or naruto on the bunch because these are shonen, not martial arts, now in the other hand "ninja nosense" is unfit to be part of anibody's anime collection, the comedy is just forced and unfunny (unless other people here talking bad about baki, I saw shinobuden) and the only punchline on all the series is that stupid yellow ball interest in sexual innuendos and stuff.

The reviewer has been following every single dvd of Baki to throw crap at it, so you didn't like the designs and the story has too much fighting for you? what do you expect from a fighting title? some romance? high school comedy? Baki in japan has been the envy of anime productions and to date, the manga has around 81 books, the fighting is incredibly detailed and since is the maximum tournament, they highlight all the fighters story to make it more compelling, sorry if there is not delicate vampires like all of the current fans like, but Im not here to stare at cuteness, I wanna see some fight, also eureka 7 doesnt bring anything new to the anime world so I would say the reviewer is biased on his/her own titles.

So from now on, I know Baki would keep being on the recycle bin until it ends, and the same complains are going to come "the designs look stupid, too many random fights, the story is a drag" and repeating that over and over a new volume appears, we know you didn't like Baki, now can just pass on it please.
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
The reviewer has been following every single dvd of Baki to throw crap at it.

She has? Bamboo only reviewed three DVDs of this series: Vol. #1 (on 9/22/05), Vol. #8 (on 7/31/06), and the current one (Vol. #9). In fact, she gave a good review for Vol. #1 in the September 22, 2005 edition of Shelf Life.

On your comment about Ninja Nonsense: The stupid yellow ball is what makes this series so much fun to watch. Yes he's rude, crude, sex-obsessed, and vile; but his antics are what makes this series click in my view. At least the writers are doing a good job of balancing the attention between Onsakumaru and the two female leads Shinobu and Kaede. There's plenty of comedy in this series without him IMO, but his antics are what drives this series to very hilarious levels.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:51 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
Okay people, for the ones that haven't seen Grappler baki:

I'm sorry, but the parts of the series Bamboo's reviewing DID get pretty ridiculously silly. The show started out as a fairly interesting martial arts anime, yeah, but by the second half it became more gimmicky than most generic shounen anime. Suddenly you had effeminate super doctors and big wall-men and guys that throw sonic attacks and can play dead and do all of these ridiculous supernatural abilities. They may not be throwing fireballs or announcing their numerical power levels or screaming Jutsu names, but the stuff they're doing is pretty much on that level of unbelievability, which does hurt a show like this which seems to want to ground itself more in reality. If I'm going to watch some compelling martial arts action, I don't want to see the guy grow a demon on his back or fly around in the air, both of which I have seen out of this so-called "martial arts anime."

And the drama surrounding the fighters? It's ham-fisted, generic, and predictable. It's the same meatheaded "I can only understand you by fighting" sports schlock you see out of every sports or fighting-themed anime. The old guy coming out of retirement, the shining young buck out to prove himself, the ruthless kid in his father's shadow, the kind yet stern mentor, holy crap, give me a break. You claim Eureka Seven brings nothing new, well neither does Baki, and at least Eureka Seven organizes those pre-existing elements in a way that's compelling. Baki's just going through the same, generic motions that every sports anime since Speed Racer has done before it (most of them even doing it better).

Oh, and as for Bamboo being biased for not liking Baki? With how overloaded your own post is with preconceived notions and baseless assumptions, I'd watch what accusations you make of others, oh great pot calling the kettle black.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:30 pm Reply with quote
you are biased too, just in a different kind of way.

if you put it in that context... Every sex-comedy driven relays on gimmicks, what's next..peep on the baths? steal underwear? trip and land on the female with the hand in an interesting position?

done, done and done.... even ranma 1/2 does it.

so just because a series relays on exaggerate truths doesn't mean is not fun, cromartie was way more original than the overused shinobuden jokes, so we are talking different genres here, and what? eureka 7 is furi kuri and evangelion clone all over again, instead of shinji, we got naota as the main character, and the main robot is an eva dress as a escaflowne, there is you originality.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Your argument makes no sense. Yes, just about every anime could be distilled into a collection of unoriginal elements, but as I just said in my last post, it's how well you reorganize and retell those elements that can make a great story. And Baki does not do that; it rehashes tired clichés with a tired lack of effort.

As for exaggeration, there's a fine line between exaggeration for the sake of dramatics and growing demons out of your back that let you powerlift buses. In the earlier portions of the show, where Baki was fighting against world-class boxers and Mafia kingpins, there was exaggeration in play that actually heightened the drama. But later in the series, they may as well be firing KameHameHas and Rasengans at each other with how ludicrously over-the-top it all gets.

And I have no idea why you're throwing your nonsensical Shinobuden bitching at me; I've got nothing to do with that argument. All it's doing is making you look more like a raving lunatic.

As for bias? Sorry, but I went into watching Baki for myself with no expectations of the show one way or another. Bias would be me expecting to hate the show from the very start and then deliberately seeking out reasons to reaffirm my pre-conceived notions. But I was neutral when I started it, really liked it at first, and hated it in the end. That's not bias. That's coming to an honest conclusion of my own experiences, and the fact that you would pass it off as "mere bias" only further weakens your argument.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:51 am Reply with quote
like today anime doesnt rely on unbelievable and stupid nonsensical fantasies?

How about becoming an animal of the zodiac when you touch a girl? or like gunbuster 2, becoming bigger than earth and fight something twice the dimension of the sun? what about evangelion?

Is not what makes believable or not, is what you want to watch and if you dont like the shows I like, you should say "is not for me" instead of exploiting the flaws like that.

All the thoughts of what anime is good or not, is based on what at the end the fans say, and Baki achieved a milestone that your current anime/manga fad cannot achieve.

81 books published, the series went for 42 episodes and didn't continue because the author was smart enough not to authorize fillers like that Naruto crap, let's talk about numbers, eh? Eureka 7 will come and go, Shinobuden is barelly known in japan so is another fad, and Baki...

Baki is the core of the Shonen champion magazine monthly since 1990, so this site's reviewer will keep being biased about all related to Baki, and I don't know what do you like but there is plenty of series/mangas that would love to be in the position Baki is, so there...My series is better than yours..damn right...is better than yours...
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:05 am Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
like today anime doesnt rely on unbelievable and stupid nonsensical fantasies?

How about becoming an animal of the zodiac when you touch a girl? or like gunbuster 2, becoming bigger than earth and fight something twice the dimension of the sun? what about evangelion?

The difference is that those shows were very clearly and deliberately works of fantasy. Baki tried to sell itself as something more realistic and grounded in reality. Men jumping off hundred-foot balconies into radical flipkicks and punching a gaping hole in another man's chest in order to massage his heart and revive him (after he'd been dead for what, a half an hour?) tend to break that sense of "grounded yet exaggerated" fighting.

ichido reichan wrote:
you should say "is not for me" instead of exploiting the flaws like that.

Dude, the critic's job is to describe what they did not like about the show, not just say "pass" and avoid explaining their reasons in order to avoid hurting delicate feelings like yours.

ichido reichan wrote:
Baki is the core of the Shonen champion magazine monthly since 1990, so this site's reviewer will keep being biased about all related to Baki, and I don't know what do you like but there is plenty of series/mangas that would love to be in the position Baki is, so there...My series is better than yours..damn right...is better than yours...

You're vastly overstating Baki's greatness. In terms of memorable, influencial anime and manga titles, it doesn't come within a mile of such hallmarks as Evangelion, Gundam, Harlock, Lupin, Dragon Ball, Slam Dunk, 20th Century Boys, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Nana, or just about any of Hayao Miyazaki's works to name only a few. And in a recent country-wide poll of top anime and manga titles, Baki doesn't even place at all in either category (and not merely out of the ten spots ANN lists, but all fifty spots in both polls). According to all of your gloating, it should've taken a top spot both times. Funny, that. And it's worth noting that very few of the titles that placed in either poll were "flavors of the month." In fact, most of them were much older than even the Baki manga, or otherwise based on material of a similar age, so that excuse of yours is right out the window.

Just because something's long-running does not make it an epic success or holy golden god among Japanese readers far and wide. Just means it's long and the manga anthology it's being run in has space for it. Baki may have some measure of influence to its credit, but it's not nearly as groundbreaking, memorable, or universally influencial as you seem to think.

As a die-hard fan of Gundam, Lupin, Hellsing, Gunbuster, and Leiji Matsumoto's myriad of works (among other titles that have vastly outshone Baki both in quality of writing and lasting popularity), I believe I ought to be the one gloating that, actually, my series are better than yours. But I won't, and will instead resign myself to a satisfying sense of silent self-satisfaction. Cool
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I won't discuse the fact that the titles you mention are great in their own ways and Im a fan of those too (I like hellsing but is still a niche title in japan with only a few books out)

But please, to make Death note one of the top ones? that one is a current fad, it needs to be on the lists to rack as much money as possible, I deny and discredit that list, made up by a bunch of conformists wanting to convince me that some of those titles deserve to be there, not to mention the stupidity of the plot of death note, like you can control death just writing on a piece of paper that belongs to a magic death god? please, if there were gods like that living among humans, they dont need notes, or writing so, to kill people, they just do it. another case of " hard suspension belief" that just because it has hot blond and goth guys called "light" and "L" (yeah, black vs blond hair, good one) and the story is somewhat funny, everyone just made it the fad of the year.

And those titles you mention are super cool and great, but they are over now, while they have to bring them back for the fans that are willing to keep enjoying them (gunbuster 2 for the case, I just didn't get it at all) Baki is still current after 10 years, so at the end we were both satisfied over our arguments, cool, isn't it? that the magic of Anime and manga, that nobody is right and, at the end, everybody is...

Now to put in shelf life that shinobuden is worthy of your collection..come on..how much that company is paying you for saying that Bamboo dong? what you were smoking at the time to decide that? that is a piece of ***** and I strongly disagree with your critic ability to comment on anime, so there, I wont believe you anymore ..we are all happy in the end.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4