• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Vampire Nonsense

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I can't imagine that you will find Sean Schemmel's take on the role to be anything less than top-of-the-line. It takes just the right degree of gusto to pull off that role without going completely overboard, and Schemmel nails it. I also regard it as the performance to beat for the year's Best Male Vocal Performance, and IIRC Zac said pretty close to the same thing in his review of vol. 1.
I would agree that his performance is top-of-the-line; I randomly pulled NN DVD 1 off the shelf when a friend was over to watch anime, and watched the first episode in English. Between the straightforward gag humor and the parodies / references (though my friend didn't understand the significance of "confess your love under a tree," I did), it was laugh-out-loud funny almost the whole way through. That said...
ichido reichan wrote:
Now to put in shelf life that shinobuden is worthy of your collection..come on..how much that company is paying you for saying that Bamboo dong? what you were smoking at the time to decide that? that is a piece of ***** and I strongly disagree with your critic ability to comment on anime, so there, I wont believe you anymore ..we are all happy in the end.
Please, this is absolutely insulting, and if I were Bamboo, I'd be even more insulted. You think reviewers on this site actually get kickbacks from anime companies for positive reviews? You think anime companies have scads of money to spend on that sort of thing? All the reviews of Ninja Nonsense I've read on this site and elsewhere say that it's very funny and worth getting, so if you disagree with that, that's your own preference; everybody else is not "wrong" simply because they aren't in line with your tastes.
For the record, I've seen a few episodes of Baki the Grappler, and I have no interest in seeing more, because it doesn't look like anything more than a run-of-the-mill fighting anime like Tenjou Tenge. Then again, those are just my tastes. Finally, I've also thought, "Why doesn't Bamboo just quit reviewing etchi/harem comedy anime (like Green Green, DearS, Girls Bravo, This Ugly yet Beautiful World, etc.), she obviously doesn't like the genre and they'll all wind up in Perishables anyway." But, how many well-known critics do you know of that only review things they like just so they can write positive, feel-good reviews?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:29 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
(I like hellsing but is still a niche title in japan with only a few books out)

Placed twenty-second in the recent poll of fifty greatest manga, a poll in which, again, Baki didn't even place. Be it critically or in popularity, it's doing something the Japanese consider far superior to Baki, and being almost as old, it's far from a fad.

ichido reichan wrote:
And those titles you mention are super cool and great, but they are over now,

As I said, a title doesn't have to drag itself on forever to be of high quality, lasting popularity, or highly influencial status. All Baki's length proves is that the author knows how to make something drag on and on and on until people are sick of it as opposed to ending a story by bowing out gracefully when it's actually done.

Really, all Baki is proving is that it's yet another stock standard shounen adventure, as it fits the release model of a shounen manga ideally. It goes on for several dozen volumes spanning multiple story arcs, and eventually ends after being dragged out farther than it should've been. Nevermind the whole use of "burning shounen hero" archetypes and unreasonably (for Baki anyway) over-the-top action.

I mean, really, which one sounds more successful? The six-episode OVA that concluded twenty years ago and remains highly relevant to this day? Or the dragged-out fighting manga that has to keep publishing issues to even stay in people's memory?

I'd err on the side of the old OVA, personally.

ichido reichan wrote:
Now to put in shelf life that shinobuden is worthy of your collection..come on..how much that company is paying you for saying that Bamboo dong? what you were smoking at the time to decide that? that is a piece of ***** and I strongly disagree with your critic ability to comment on anime, so there, I wont believe you anymore ..we are all happy in the end.

Just because Bamboo has an opinion different from yours and actually dares to explain precisely why, you pitch this massive hissy fit and make yourself look like a raging, pouty, pissy idiot, declaring she is somehow fundamentally wrong for not thinking like you?

You are truly a childish person. You realize that, right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:58 am Reply with quote
Yeah..Shinobuden makes you sooo intellectual

and starting with insults make you soo mature....
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:41 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:

I was smokin' 100% pure air and it was deeeeelicious!

Honestly, it's okay that you think I suck, and I'm okay with you thinking that I'm not qualified to be a reviewer because I don't like your favorite shows. That's fine. Because in the end, my job is to write about DVD based on my own opinions. And yeah, if you read my columns, it becomes very obvious what my personal tastes are, but I also do my best to explain my reasonings, so you can try and judge if you would like the show, using your opinions.

I can't cater to everyone's personal opinions. It's just not possible. I can only cater to my own, and if they conflict with yours, then there's really nothing I can do about it.

You mentioned that I didn't like fighting shows like Baki and Fighting Spirit. But you know what, I *did* like Fighting Spirit. Just like I enjoyed the first volume of Baki. And you know what else? One of my favorite shows of all time is Yawara. I like shows where it shows someone training hard to be their best, but I'm just not that interested in seeing episode after episode of fights. If you do, that's okay, and that's cool, and I generally tell people "I don't like this because it has fight after fight," so the people who *do* like that can say, "Oh hey, she doesn't like this trait, but I do. I think I'll check out this show."

I like Ninja Nonsense. I think it's silly. But if you don't like panty jokes and immature humor, the you should be able to read the review and say, "This isn't my thing, I won't watch this." That means my job as a reviewer is done.

We all have different tastes. We all like different things. I don't like shonen romance, and I placed Onegai Twins as a rental title, but I have almost every piece of Onegai Twins merchandise ever released. Does it make me intellectual? Hell no. But it makes me happy, even with all its flaws.

So, to answer your question, no, I wasn't smoking anything. And if you decide that I no longer have any credibility as a reviewer, I accept that, but I'm glad you gave my column a chance anyway.

And frankly, I'm very impressed that you've been buying all the legit Funimation volumes of Baki so far (You have been, haven't you? To support the series?). It shows that you're a true fan, and that makes me happy, even if our opinions differ.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:12 pm Reply with quote
ichido reichan wrote:
Yeah..Shinobuden makes you sooo intellectual

Okay, I made no mention of maturity in my last post, and I have pretty much made no substantial mention of Shinobuden in any of my posts. Why you keep trying to sling this at me, I have no idea, unless you're really that backed into a corner.

ichido reichan wrote:
and starting with insults make you soo mature....

Hey, buddy, you were the one calling people idiots and making outright libelous remarks about various individuals way before I called you childish, raging, pouty, or pissy. You don't have a leg to stand on here.

And since Bamboo has provided her reply (and proven a bigger person than me for managing to post such an eloquent reply to your incessant caterwauling), I think it's time this thread got the lock. It's been fun. Kind of.

[edit - Nagisa, I unlocked the thread. I like hearing people's comments about the column, even if they're negative. -b]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:11 am Reply with quote
Just stepping away from the controversy for a moment.

I recently bought Trinity Blood Vol 1 plus the art box. I must say, it is one of the coolest art boxes I own. The artwork is beautiful and the design of the box is very unique. Turns out that "limited edition" is very true in this case as there are no more being produced. Whatever is on store shelves or in online retailer's warehouses is all that's left.
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:01 am Reply with quote
No is ok...we can't make all the world happy now, can we?

actually your post was very interesting, bamboo dong, I also hate harry potter but I nwill not go to the legions of fans telling them it sucks, simply is not my thing, and I have to recognize that Hajime no ippo has a credibility much higher than baki, but is ok, 1000 series for 10000 anime fans, there are too much to compare and differ, so is ok, to each his own.

thanks for your post, and I had a lot of fun interacting with my fellow fans, now that said and done, I take my gracious leave Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4