• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Producer: Miyazaki Wanted to Make 'Ponyo 2' Instead of The Wind Rises

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
medama_oyaji

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:49 am Reply with quote
There's a The Wind Rises manga?
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:
digritz wrote:
*snip*

It doesn't make his movies any less important, make no mistake, but Miyazaki is far from God's Gift to Japanese Animation. (IMO, he makes the mistake of not letting writing get in the way of a pretty scene, but that's just me.)

I'm sorry, but Miyazaki has most certainly been "god's gift" to Japanese animation. There is no one, absolutely no one, else in the industry who has captured the hearts of millions around the world like Miyazaki has. And I say that as someone who has the deepest respect for at least another dozen major Japanese directors from Takahata to Hosoda to Shinkai to the late great Kon; Miyazaki is in a league of his own in terms of what he has done for not only Japanese animation, but for Japanese film and even animation as a whole. Miyazaki transcended the medium and national borders like no one else.

Sorry, but if I had to chose which works I would rather watch, I would chose Makoto SHINKAI. His work is just beyond gorgeous, and the story telling is "vivid" in it's own way. Sucks that he doesn't direct big projects these days.

On top of which Mamoru HOSODA has done some really good work as well. So, saying that Miyazaki is "God's gift" to Japanese anime is a bit overstatement. Even he has inspiration he draws from others that make his work what it is. He's a great man and director but to state that he is the best of the best is just ignorant and unfair to the much more "underrated" directors.
vangelionite88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
ponyo 2? common miyazaki, the first one was good, but do you honestly think it deserves a sequel?. I mean nausicaa, mononoke, totoro are better candidates. but in general stay away from the sequel route...
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
medama_oyaji wrote:
There's a The Wind Rises manga?

Miyazaki authored the manga in 2009 which in turn was apparently inspired by this novel https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_Has_Risen
kanjineogeo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Do we know Studio Ghibli never make any sequels.

Or maybe. I have not know is there a film sequel to a ghibli film officially announced.
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:28 pm Reply with quote
kanjineogeo wrote:

Pixar / John Lasseter originally criticized Disney for doing tons of mindless sequels, and look where they are now. Churning out Toy Story 2 + 3, Cars 2, Finding Dory, Monsters University, and other stuff. It's probably for the best Miyazaki quits before he goes down the same path.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote
I'd hardly call Toy Story 2 + 3 "mindless!" though, I actually prefer 2 to the original movie and 3 is good (if a little maudlin in places). I enjoyed Monsters University, the only one I'd heard bad stuff about is Cars 2 so I'm hopeful for Finding Dory.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Mister Ryan Andrews wrote:
Pixar / John Lasseter originally criticized Disney for doing tons of mindless sequels, and look where they are now. Churning out Toy Story 2 + 3, Cars 2, Finding Dory, Monsters University, and other stuff. It's probably for the best Miyazaki quits before he goes down the same path.

What, you mean, producing originally-authored sequels to satisfy legal-ownership difficulties over scripts from a competing studio that he absorbed after the merger?
Well, it's possible. Rolling Eyes

((points)...Hey guys! Look, another one of those "Pixar wants to make stupid sequels!" fans who's too young to remember Eisner and Circle 7--Looks like there were a few still hiding out!)
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:05 pm Reply with quote
kanjineogeo wrote:

Or maybe. I have not know is there a film sequel to a ghibli film officially announced.

Evangelion director and voice acting debutant in The Wind Rises, Hideaki Anno, has reportedly been pestering Miyazaki to do a Nausicaa sequel for years. Apparently Miyzaki has told Anno to go make it himself. Whether that ever happened or the sequel will ever happen, who knows.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Well, Miyazaki was never a person known for wanting to make a sequel or let alone revisit an older work. Or else Nausicaa could have looked closer to his manga. And while I do like Nausicaa a know a few people that didn't like the film version because they read the manga. As far as him making a Ponyo 2, I find it kind unlike him. But I doubt it would have been called Ponyo 2. Following in the path of Disney's that's what they would have called it. But the fact that it didn't happen was good enough. His career has been a little lackluster, which happens. Even George Byrne who was considered the greatest among many comic enthusiast; has suffered as time has gone on. Not to mention the last half of Miyazaki's work were all adaptations of other creators. He really hasn't done anything original in quite a while. The only other good film that came out of Ghibli that he was involved with was Goro's Up From Poppy Hill. It doesn't have the visual magic that his father has, but it was great entry to the studio not being done by Miyazaki himself.

One thing concerning Disney, but there was this rumor floating around (that's if it is a rumor) about Disney buying Ghibli. This would give the right to produce sequels to films like Totoro. It's an article floating around the web, but I was surprised it was never mentioned. Chances are it's probably not as true and just some bait tossed out there to get people talking.

But Ponyo 2, do we need to know? Could have been interesting, but not really something I care about. I could take it or leave it. The world won't explode because it didn't happen.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
His career has been a little lackluster, which happens.

In what way has his career been "lacklustre"? His films make gobs of money in Japan and he's probably one of the most famous animation directors alive. If that's lacklustre, we could all use a bit of that.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:
His career has been a little lackluster, which happens.

In what way has his career been "lacklustre"? His films make gobs of money in Japan and he's probably one of the most famous animation directors alive. If that's lacklustre, we could all use a bit of that.

Well, maybe that's not the word I wanted to use. But yes his films are great, and I have enjoyed every film he's done. But, I've haven't felt the same about his films after say 'Mononoke'. Yet, some of the films I have enjoyed were considered not as great. Sure his films make great money, but it's like he's without criticism because he is the man. He makes a good film even if it's not the best.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I see where you are coming from. My favourite Miyazaki films tend to be the earlier ones as well: Castle in the Sky, Kiki's Delivery Service, Totoro. Princess Mononoke is probably the last one that truly blew me away, but I am awfully fond of Howl's Moving Castle.
koinosuke

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Rinkwolf wrote:

Sorry, but if I had to chose which works I would rather watch, I would chose Makoto SHINKAI. His work is just beyond gorgeous, and the story telling is "vivid" in it's own way. Sucks that he doesn't direct big projects these days.

On top of which Mamoru HOSODA has done some really good work as well. So, saying that Miyazaki is "God's gift" to Japanese anime is a bit overstatement. Even he has inspiration he draws from others that make his work what it is. He's a great man and director but to state that he is the best of the best is just ignorant and unfair to the much more "underrated" directors.

I wasn't even talking about personal preference here; I'm saying that there's no one else in the industry who even comes close in terms of worldwide success and level of influence. Shinkai makes beautiful movies that are very niche, and while Hosoda is certainly becoming a big deal in Japan and the worldwide anime community he really only has three original movies under his belt. Shinkai is great for what he does (ascetically beautiful movies about separation), and I of course understand you or anyone else favoring him over Miyazaki in terms of personal preference, but he could never do for anime what Miyazaki has the world over (just look at Shinkai's faux-Ghibli Children Who Chase Lost Voices and how little of an impact that made even in Japan). I like both of those directors a lot (ok, Shinkai has made a dud or two) and they both deserve a huge amount of respect (and honestly Takahata might be a better director overall than any of them), but Miyazaki is the undisputed God of Anime in both Japan and elsewhere for a reason.
TG72

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:12 pm Reply with quote
There was nowhere else to go with Ponyo's storyline. I'm glad he was talked out of it. The final scene of Wind Rises, with spoiler[Jiro and Caproni talking about how their moments had passed] made for a nice exit.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3