• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pile of Shame - Adventures of Hols, Prince of the Sun

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koinosuke

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I have the subbed DVD, but I wasn't aware there was an English dub. Is the dub a Disney dub, or one done way before Ghibli and Disney signed their distribution deal?

Quote:
Politically, the late 60s in Japan were a period of this youth trying to instill unionization and democratic ideals into the stodgy old money that still ran things in Japan.
This can be seen in the basic theme of "From Up On Poppy Hill"

The English dub is pretty old, I believe, plus, this wouldn't fall under Disney's licensing because that only applies to Ghibli films, for which this is way, way too early a movie for that seeing as it pre-dates the studio by nearly two decades.

Good observation about the Poppy Hill's theme, by the way. A little known fact is that the failure of Japanese progressive movements in Japan in the 50s and 60s was also the inspiration for Pom Poko, a theme that was more subtly hid in a movie that seems on the head of it to be completely about environmentalism.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:

The English dub is pretty old, I believe, plus, this wouldn't fall under Disney's licensing because that only applies to Ghibli films, for which this is way, way too early a movie for that seeing as it pre-dates the studio by nearly two decades.
Well on the DVD it shows the opening signatures for Toei Douga and Ghibli and it is also listed in the Ghibli catalogue as well though listed as "not produced" by Ghibli.
I'll add that Canal Plux, (formally Optimum Asia) titled it "Little Norse Prince" here.
Galap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:32 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

You caught me. Heck, my fansub group did this one on VHS back in the mid-90s. But I hadn't written about it before, and it definitely warranted an article.

(Full truth: the title I was going to write about was really kind of crappy and I couldn't get through it)

What was that, out of curiosity?

As for Hols, Prince of the Sun, I've always planned to see it. Maybe I'll see it now in response to the article.

I really like pile of shame man. It either gives me an opportunity to talk about something that I usually can't, introduces me to something interesting I haven't heard of, or makes me get around to watching something I'd wanted to. Sometimes the title isn't interesting to me at all, but the track record is very good.

Also, I'd seen that the Little Norse Prince thing was on Netflix, but never realized that they were the same movie. Thanks for pointing that out.
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:07 pm Reply with quote
The English dub was produced by American International in 1969, I believe. It was recorded at Titra Productions in NYC.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote
Welp, I was browsing a Ghibli-related thread over at Criterion Forum, and noticed that someone posted a link to a Japanese Blu-Ray release on Amazon Japan. It is barebones and, unsurprisingly, contains no English subtitles or dub.

It wasn't mentioned in the article where availability is listed, so yeah, putting that out there.

OT: Very interesting fact about Pom Poko, I'll definitely keep that in mind next time I watch it.
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Originally planned to be done in eight months, work on the film stretched on for three years and went insanely over-budget before Toei finally had enough and decided to cut their losses and give it a half-assed release.

This kind of exemplifies some of the problems common to democratic design and designer freedom, but the end result was a really excellent film in this case.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
Welp, I was browsing a Ghibli-related thread over at Criterion Forum, and noticed that someone posted a link to a Japanese Blu-Ray release on Amazon Japan. It is barebones and, unsurprisingly, contains no English subtitles or dub.

It wasn't mentioned in the article where availability is listed, so yeah, putting that out there.

It's on other places such as cdjapan etc as well. The naming convention in how they romanize the titles may sometimes cause headaches when searching. Googling with the Japanese name may occasionally be an easier task.

It's a relatively new release, December 2013, so the slip might be understandable. Though I wouldn't call this obscure either, if one keeps abreast with Japanese releases this should have been an easy spot...

The BD may not include the English dub, but the discussion of it here did arouse my curiosity on how the audio in the stream mentioned(non-accessible for me because of region), would fare in comparison with the audio in a later encode of this which instead used one obtained from a 16mm print reel of this title (Fred Hult dub)?...
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
Discotek just licensed this. Yes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2