• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/Zero Blu-Ray Box Set II

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
I've already explained several times that I wish they would add something other than "nice package, bro!" when reviewing a PHYSICAL COPY (caps because a select few have a hard time reading) and two words doesn't cut it, unless your entire review is made up of one sentence.

Another option would be not saying that you're reviewing -insert title- box set, and just -insert title-. Again, i've said this as well, but it seems some people only read what they want to read.

I think that I am agreeing with SouthPacific.

This is a good review of the show, but since the title says that it is a review of the limited edition there should be some information about what makes this edition limited.
That would be about not just the box but anything that comes with the limited edition in addition to the discs.

If there are other editions it would be nice to know what the difference is.
If this is the only edition and it just has a limited print run it would be good for people to know about that.

If this information is in the review and I missed it then I apologize for that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
OK, you wanted more info about the packaging. Got it.

Going on and on this long about it seems more like you're struggling to find something to complain about with the review, though.
Dfens

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:57 pm Reply with quote
I can understand a little about wanting more details about the packaging since a unboxing on youtube isn't always the best option to judge.

For me most of the time packaging isn't that much of a big deal since it sits on a shelf for most of the time until I want to watch it. But since I'm a sucker for companies Limited Editions and usually buy them because they are a few bucks more I just bite the bullet and buy it even if it's not that much better.

A lot of the time your stuck with whatever they box it in if it's only released a certain way.

Case in point my buddy got his copy of the Limited Edition Psycho Pass early a title I was debating picking up. It's cool that it comes with 2 sound track CD's and the art work on the blu ray cases especially the Artbox looks amazing. But the actual box itself looked pretty cheap you could see the wrap around paper hanging in one corner. And for the extra premium price they were charging you think it would be better than the other LE box sets they put out.

Plus the extra items the pass holder, sticker, and business card holder where cheap as hell. I would never use them probably sell them which I never do with extras.

Other than the artwork design on the box and the CD's which have some amazing tracks I wouldn't recommend it over the regular edition.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
It's not like JO's few remarks about the packaging means that ALL OTHER reviews say so little about the packaging. But even considering that, I don't think ANN reviews have ever been known to really get into the nitty-gritty technical side of things of the products they review; a lot of the time, the physical product that's reviewed is reviewed for the show content and dub/video extras if they're provided. Which is understandable, because I think more people care about that as opposed to the more technical things collectors care about. (Though then again, this is a release catered towards most towards collectors...)

SouthPacific, if you really want to read a review about the packaging, may I direct you (again) towards Chris Beveridge's review of Part 2? Why not rely on fandompost if you want all your reviews to discuss packaging and other technical aspects? That's been part of FP's and Beveridge's shtick for as long as I can remember, back when Beveridge regularly ran animeondvd.com.

Now... isn't there more interesting things that could be discussed here? About the show content, dub, etc...? It doesn't exactly feel good that what I devoted a great amount of time to posting last night has seemed to be completely ignored so far, for instance...

Last edited by Animerican14 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
OK, you wanted more info about the packaging. Got it.

Going on and on this long about it seems more like you're struggling to find something to complain about with the review, though.

Your perception of this is quite wrong. I'm not struggling to find something to complain about (please take a few seconds of your time read my initial post), what i'm struggling with is trying to explain to two or three individuals (and with your reply another one has been added to that list...) that when someone says they're doing a review of a physical anime release, one should also expect that they cover the physical part as well, and not only the show itself.

Had the title read "Fate/Zero 2nd season" review then there wouldn't have been a problem, because that is reviewed in great detail.

Ugh. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about my statement, if you review a physical product you can't just disregard the physical part, it's as easy as that Shocked ....
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Only in the anime fandom would people get so worked up over a piece of cardboard.

Youths today, I tells ya. Confused
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

Ugh. I'm not sure what's so hard to understand about my statement, if you review a physical product you can't just disregard the physical part, it's as easy as that Shocked ....

I said "OK. You wanted more info about the packaging. Got it." That's it. I'm not going to tell the writer to go write more about the cardboard box and postcards. It's a really minor quibble but you've managed to go on about it for like 3 pages of feedback. I'm the editor of the piece, I heard what your complaint was, I'm not going to add anything to this particular review but in the future if it's an LE review I'll ask the critic to talk a little more about the LE packaging.

This show is very complex and the writer had a ton to say about it and it's a shame that the ensuing discussion is "WHY DIDN'T YOU TALK ABOUT THE POSTCARDS AND JEWEL CASES MORE" for pages and pages. I heard you the first time, let it go now.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
Only in the anime fandom would people get so worked up over a piece of cardboard.

Youths today, I tells ya. Confused

Lol spaceman, I was just waiting for you to come in and say that.

I pledged for the MMM kickstarter, and I also saw that you got quite upset over there in the comment section because you hated postcards in anime releases, and really went out of your way to express your hatred for them. spoiler[And lets not forget you had to bring up Aniplex over there as well, that hade me literally LOLing. I didn't reply, but it was good to see that those who did managed to keep it civil.] So yeah, your statement really doesn't hold much value when you start fuming from postcards being present in some anime releases.

And i'm not talking about the piece of cardboard that is the box, but the physical release as a whole. What physical extras were present? Were there any known illustrators who had done the cover artwork, whether it was for the art box or the BD cases etc? spoiler[Were there any postcards Wink?]

All of that stuff matters, because it's part of the release, and the title of this review clearly says "REVIEW: Fate/Zero Blu-ray Box Set II".

@Zac, thanks for listening. Hopefully in future reviews of releases where a lot of work and effort has been put into the physical stuff we can get something more than "nice packaging" Smile.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

I think at that point it's safe to assume that at least in some way Kariya was not acting on behalf of her feelings or at least didn't understand her really. And that was the point I was trying to make, not that what Kariya was doing was wrong, but that it was for the wrong reasons.

Like I said, I don't disagree that Kariya's motivations had problems in the end. I wasn't arguing against the overall point, just that I don't think Sakura works for the 'saving people from their own choices' part. I agree that his motivations were not solely about saving her and were instead about her mother, that was a problem. Perhaps you could argue that this was not a good way to go about solving the problem. But like saving her from her own choices, 'not understanding her' seems really odd. She's being forced to be a child soldier and part of the 'training' is being raped by magic bugs. She has no choice in this, she just has to find whatever ways she can to endure it. Arguably he didn't understand that she had accepted her situation by this point, but I don't see how that matters.

Again, I agree with the overall point about Kariya's motivations, it's very specifically the Saktura part I'm arguing about.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Redcrimson wrote:

For one, Psycho-Pass is the most distilled Urobuchi of all his shows. One of his big unifying themes is Idealism vs. Utilitarianism. In shows like Madoka and Fate/Zero, this conflict is mostly metaphorical. In Psycho-Pass, that conflict is quite literal. The characters are literally confined within a institutionalized system of forced pragmatic morality. The villains are twisted and evil, but the show paints them as a reactionary force against Sibyl. Akane's struggle against them is very much a manifestation of her naive idealism versus the rigid pragmatism imposed by Sybyl. And in true Urobuchi fashion, this conflict is ultimately unresolved. Because for Urobuchi, it's the struggle that matters. Like Akane says spoiler["Someday, humanity will find a better way. Someday someone will come in here and turn off the lights."] As dark and brooding as Urobuchi's work is, his view of humanity is actually rather optimistic.

Like I said interesting ideas! I liked how people with High Crime Co-efficents tend to be creative or intelligent thinkers. I like how the Sybil system is the ultimate nanny-state and the conformist culture disenfranchising intellectuals. Although the Hyper-oats is silly it does mimic corn-subsidies and processed foods. I liked how when the first real crisis to the city happens it's revealed that the police are massively under-equipped. I like what the show is trying to say about society, law, and people's roles within it.

But the characters and execution was uneven at best. Kiritsugu, Irisviel, Homura, Gilgamesh, Sayaka and even Kirei are more interesting and have more well-done character arcs then anybody in Psychopass.

And it would be fun to talk more about this. But this is a Fate/Zero review and I don't want to get modded out for being off topic.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Gotta admit, I'm sort of curious about the box design! It looks very similar to the JP sets that I own (it looks like they even went out of their way to replicate the obi!) I started losing interest in buying Aniplex products day one because of that same format they were using over and over for their limited edition boxes. I want something to blow my mind again like the Rakkyo DVD box. Now that was lovely!

edit: still ticked they didn't get/translate the Consultation Room segments...this show had minimal special features to begin with so I hate that they couldn't get if for us!
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Doodleboy wrote:
And it would be fun to talk more about this. But this is a Fate/Zero review and I don't want to get modded out for being off topic.

Yeah, we'll just have to agree to disagree for now. To reiterate though, I don't actually think Fate/Zero is bad by any stretch, but I do think it's more flawed as a narrative than Psycho-Pass or Madoka.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
It's not like JO's few remarks about the packaging means that ALL OTHER reviews say so little about the packaging. But even considering that, I don't think ANN reviews have ever been known to really get into the nitty-gritty technical side of things of the products they review; a lot of the time, the physical product that's reviewed is reviewed for the show content and dub/video extras if they're provided. Which is understandable, because I think more people care about that as opposed to the more technical things collectors care about. (Though then again, this is a release catered towards most towards collectors...)

Actually, it's more because none of us regular reviewers are technophiles - and that is almost certainly coincidence rather than intent. The technical details that Chris Beveridge talks about in his review mostly fly over my head.

But I think that's totally fine. There are other review sites which have a laser focus on the technical details but are generally far less verbose about other aspects of the production than we are, so it all balances out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
Reading this review feels like such sweet redemption. Thank you for this JO.
YesNoMaybe
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote
Since the second part was reviewed by another person, sorry, but I consider the overall review of this anime show invalid!

Having another reviewer to do the second part just seem to be appeasing the masses!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7