• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fate/Zero Blu-Ray Box Set II

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:07 am Reply with quote
YesNoMaybe wrote:
Since the second part was reviewed by another person, sorry, but I consider the overall review of this anime show invalid!

Having another reviewer to do the second part just seem to be appeasing the masses!

I have to agree.

This review was started by Carlo, it should be ended by Carlo.

Part of me thinks Aniplex got onto you for the negative press and forced you to change reviewers. Or at least, it *seems* that way.
EspressoTibbs

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:34 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
YesNoMaybe wrote:
Since the second part was reviewed by another person, sorry, but I consider the overall review of this anime show invalid!

Having another reviewer to do the second part just seem to be appeasing the masses!

I have to agree.

Part of me thinks Aniplex got onto you for the negative press and forced you to change reviewers. Or at least, it *seems* that way.

Carlo doesn't work for ANN anymore, hence the different reviewer.
Stall_19

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:42 am Reply with quote
It's always the simplest of explanations instead of this BS some of you make up.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:41 am Reply with quote
EspressoTibbs wrote:
Carlo doesn't work for ANN anymore, hence the different reviewer.

Where are you getting this information from? He's still listed as a reviewer here.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:

I have to agree.

Oh boy, let's make things up and pretend like the stuff we just made up has merit! Here's my theory: you're being paid by a competing site to come here and smear us. Can you prove me wrong??

Stupid nonsense aside, yes, Carlo stepped down to focus on his day job months ago. He's still listed on the staff page because the staff page hasn't been updated in a while.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I see. Perhaps I got a little too "conspiracy theorish" last night without realizing the whole truth. I apologize. Embarassed

Still, it's not hard to see how someone might jump to the same conclusion, considering that Aniplex is one of the larger contributors to the site, and incidents such as the one at Giant Bomb have indeed happened in the past.

Anyways, I'll be quiet now. Neutral
RealDrakeula

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:23 pm Reply with quote
YesNoMaybe wrote:

The last thing Hope would do is appease the masses, as she's already showed her dislike for the Fate universe before. IMO, she even seemed rather reluctant to ever see F/Z.

But who cares, one is calling the series bad while another is calling it good. That should speak for F/Z's range to touch people, and how much of an experience it is in and of itself.
Trypticon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
RealDrakeula wrote:
But who cares, one is calling the series bad while another is calling it good. That should speak for F/Z's range to touch people, and how much of an experience it is in and of itself.

I think of it this way; anime is a subjective art form; no matter what some of us think in terms of how great or horrible a series is, or attempt to "quantify" it; other people will always have differing opinions with sufficient evidence to back up their opinion as well.

We're all individuals, and we're not going to always agree on what's "good" or "bad."

On topic though, I really enjoyed watching the entire Fate/Zero series; and I haven't seen a single second of Fate/Stay Night, so I came into this completely fresh.

Fate/Zero was a smashing series for many of the reasons outlined in the review, however to add a little something; one of the aspects I really liked about the dialogue driven scenes was that it created a mood similar to that of watching a stage play as opposed to an anime. This is a compliment; it made for a different, and highly entertaining viewing experience.
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote
trypticon wrote:
one of the aspects I really liked about the dialogue driven scenes was that it created a mood similar to that of watching a stage play as opposed to an anime. This is a compliment; it made for a different, and highly entertaining viewing experience.

I also highly enjoyed the theatrical staginess of the dialogues. However, if the dialogues themselves or the actors reciting them had been not as fantastic as they were, the problems of choosing a very non cinematic way in visual media would have become even more distinct than they already were for several people. They completely trusted the quality of the dialogues to carry the scenes. Which, for some, it did, myself included. I could watch Gilgamesh helping Kirei discover his true self in shot-reverse shot over several bottles of wine for much longer than the anime showed us. I was almost glad there wasn't anything to distract me from the words and the actor's performances and I didn't have to divide my attention between these and the animation. I can't argue the point that those scenes did not make any use of cinematic language, though, so I see the criticism as valid, even though it worked quite perfectly for me.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
gedata wrote:
Might have to give this show another shot. Talky shows normally don't do it for me without a solid dub. Also, Rider and Waver spoiled me rotten with their on screen chemistry spoiler[so much so that I kinda lost interest in the show during it's finale when they were no longer around]

At least he survived the whole thing. i would have been pissed off if he had lost his life.

However what is confusing that the battle between emiya and kotomine in F/Z wasnt how it was described in F/SN for those that saw it.

all in all its a decent series, lets just hope this new F/SN that uftoable is doing will live up to the hype its getting in the otaku community. especially how well done this series as well as the unlimited blade works movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Redcrimson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
At least he survived the whole thing. i would have been pissed off if he had lost his life.

According to side material, Waver not only survives the Grail War, but is pretty much the only character in the Type-Moon universe besides Rin to actually be better off having fought in it. Funnily enough, Rin ends up spoiler[studying under him at the Clocktower.]
Key

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
However what is confusing that the battle between emiya and kotomine in F/Z wasnt how it was described in F/SN for those that saw it.

IIRC (and I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm not), that battle was never described in detail in F/SN, so Yuji Yamaguchi and his production team had to wing it a bit for the F/SN anime. Besides, the differences are only in the details, rather than the outcomes, so it's a relatively minor revision.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

IIRC (and I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm not), that battle was never described in detail in F/SN, so Yuji Yamaguchi and his production team had to wing it a bit for the F/SN anime. Besides, the differences are only in the details, rather than the outcomes, so it's a relatively minor revision.

Here to (probably?) give some insight! Urobuchi wrote the battle scene in the novel with great precision (I was about done reading the novels during the time the anime had gotten to that point, so I definitely remember it being accurate). I don't remember the actual battle description in Fate/Stay Night as much, but Urobuchi did say during an interview that he and Nasu made slight changes due to some points that could've caused issues in consistency. I assume this might be related if that is the case.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:35 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

actually it was. sure it wasnt in FULL DETAIL! , but there was some descriptions that kotomine said on some of the final 4 eps on what happened in the final battle with him and shiro's dad which was very different in the F/Z series.

also i have to suspect that what your talking about where the battle was never described was for the visual novels and ero game.

Redcrimson wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

According to side material, Waver not only survives the Grail War, but is pretty much the only character in the Type-Moon universe besides Rin to actually be better off having fought in it. Funnily enough, Rin ends up spoiler[studying under him at the Clocktower.]

Well that is true since the experience kinda humbled their characters from self absorbed ego's to actually interacting with others. though we cant actually say that kotomine survived. more like a renimated corpse.

also i though she completely did her training under kotomine? Unless that happened during Hollow Ataraxia or a side story that took place between F/Z and F/SN. hell i wont be surprised that he is a memeber of the faculty of Shiro and Rin's High School which will explain some things on ep 1 and 2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jl07045

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Key wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

actually it was. sure it wasnt in FULL DETAIL! , but there was some descriptions that kotomine said on some of the final 4 eps on what happened in the final battle with him and shiro's dad which was very different in the F/Z series.

Be as it may, F/Z is a prequel to F/SN the visual novel. In the visual novel Kotomine just said that they met once, fought and Kiritsugu won. Saber however said that she fought Archer in a sea of fire so there's an inconsistency. Other than this and the novel stating that Ilya's mother died after the war, there are no continuity mistakes to my knowledge. A number of revisions though, like Tokiomi's or Kiritsugu's characterization.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7