• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto Director's Chair Contest

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimyo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Finally, a chance to erase the humiliation of my previous defeat in the Make-A-Ninja contest!

Razz THIS TIME, I'M GONNA WIN!!!

(lets out a battle cry and runs off to start the rough sketches)
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:38 pm Reply with quote
All Right! I can't wait to show off my Sound Village character. He is all about necromancy, and uses sound, too!
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Cyborg 009 wrote:
All Right! I can't wait to show off my Sound Village character. He is all about necromancy, and uses sound, too!

Be careful with the original characters; this is a movie poster, so if you're using an original character, the tagline or the title of the film needs to give us an idea of what the character is like.

Really, using the movie posters for the actual Naruto movies is a good source of inspiration for those of you who want to use original characters since they all introduce new ones.
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:05 pm Reply with quote
My question is, are we allowed to through in the Naruto logo? (You know, the huge word "Naruto") Or are we just supposed to make the poster and the tagline?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Cyborg 009 wrote:
My question is, are we allowed to through in the Naruto logo? (You know, the huge word "Naruto") Or are we just supposed to make the poster and the tagline?

You need to make your poster as convincing as possible. A piece of art and a tagline is not a convincing poster. As it says in the rules, you can use Photoshop or another image editing program for the text on the poster - this includes the film's logo, the tagline, and the credits, and even the rating.
Malintex Terek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like fun. Sadly, I lack drawing tablets (and talent) so I won't be participating in this contest. Crying or Very sad

Ohoho, I couldn't help but laugh at this, though.

Good Naruto, you look kind of cool. Very Happy
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:41 pm Reply with quote
I fear the inevitable Brokeback Ninja posters.
God Gundam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Is that the edited DVD? WTF?

Malintex Terek wrote:
Ohoho, I couldn't help but laugh at this, though.

Good Naruto, you look kind of cool. Very Happy

Yeah, that's some really bad box art. Naruto looks... wierd.
real_fairytale

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
WOO, a contest on something I know about! Even if my art skills ARE mediocre! Anime hyper

jsevakis wrote:
I fear the inevitable Brokeback Ninja posters.

Ugh. Good point....
Osaka-neechan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't be asking this, since I was informed awhile before, but I checked back on Amazon - previously, it had said it was only the dubbed version, but now the DVD Naruto Vol. 1 (not the Uncut one) sports the label, "English, Japanese. Dubbed, Subtitled." (Yes, die-hard fan blah yadda yadda blah...I actually don't mind the English version as much as I've seen many people do, but you know, if you CAN have it, why not take it? Confused )

So does it contain only the English version, or does it now include both now, as the most of the companies do? Was it just a marketing strategy to release the English and the Japanese seperately, or are they still doing so?

Brokeback Naruto... Yeah, it'll get pretty unoriginal after awhile (but maybe after hearing this for awhile, not many will do it)... Though, you know, some of those people who make them have the most spasmodic minds... Surprised It gives them HAPPINESS, and a reason and MEANING for their nonexistent social life to exist in the first place.

SOMEWHERE IN THE SKY (for some reason): Why does this person EXIST?

SOMEWHERE ELSE IN THE SKY (for some reason): FOR THIS, and only this.

BIRD #1: Oh. Cool.

Wink But no, I'm going to make something else. My Photoshop drained with my other programs when my computer crashed for a second time a few years ago, so I've recently gotten the hang of using Copic markers I steal from my one of my best, financially efficient (uncle-bugging rich) friends. Now how do I work it into the computer?! Rolling Eyes
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:33 pm Reply with quote
If only it were last year, I would have so much more time to do this product. I have to say that I'm going to have to decline this opportunity to win prizes..... high school is just too much work for me right now. Crying or Very sad Oh, how I'd love to participate in this contest! I might have time to make a half-assed submission, but it'd just be a waste my and the judges' time. Well, to all of you participating, HAVE FUN!!! Very Happy
Cyborg 009

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Cyborg 009 wrote:

You need to make your poster as convincing as possible. A piece of art and a tagline is not a convincing poster. As it says in the rules, you can use Photoshop or another image editing program for the text on the poster - this includes the film's logo, the tagline, and the credits, and even the rating.

No, I understood the rules. I was just wondering if it was legal to put in the Naruto logo at the top, or anywhere on the poster.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:43 pm Reply with quote
SharinganEyes92 wrote:
Oh, how I'd love to participate in this contest! I might have time to make a half-assed submission, but it'd just be a waste my and the judges' time. Well, to all of you participating, HAVE FUN!!! Very Happy

If you have a funny idea or just a cool concept and it's strong enough, even with somewhat lackluster visuals, you still stand a chance. As is stated in the article, this isn't just about your skill with a pen.

Cyborg 009 wrote:

No, I understood the rules. I was just wondering if it was legal to put in the Naruto logo at the top, or anywhere on the poster.

This all falls into the area of fanart, so don't worry about it.
Prax

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, there's practically only a week given for this to be done..
Probably so they don't get such a huge flood of submissions this time! XD Smart move..?

Last edited by Prax on Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Prax wrote:
Well, there's practically only a week given for this to be done..
Probably so they don't get such a huge flood of submissions this time! Anime hyper Smart move..?

Oh wait.

Oops. Deadline's supposed to be October 9th.

Heh. Changing that now!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7