• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Naruto Director's Chair Contest

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfio1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I came, I tried, I was beaten to death.
Smile Guess I need to watch out for contests, so I can get more time to work on them. What I entered was nowhere near the height of my skill (which isn't very high), but I told myself I would at least enter so I did.

Also, Second place is great. Maybe it's because it takes characters that currently have almost no development, but I like it a lot.
Iconoclast

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:37 pm Reply with quote
ROFL! I LOOOOOOOOOVE the Men in Bowlcuts, poster. So funny. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Iconoclast wrote:

I kinda liked the concept but I thought they did a pretty crappy job. They coloring was bad, the hights were off, and it was just messy, Sorry if I offend the winner, but its just my opinion
Wolfio1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop wrote:
Iconoclast wrote:

I kinda liked the concept but I thought they did a pretty crappy job. They coloring was bad, the hights were off, and it was just messy, Sorry if I offend the winner, but its just my opinion

But no one else thought of the concept, and since it wasn't just a contest based on art alone...

First place is pretty average art, but the concept was nice.
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Wolfio1 wrote:

First place is pretty average art, but the concept was nice.

I didn't really like the concept to join Harry Potter and Naruto. It was a clever name though.I hate harry potter though because he is like "woo im harry potter meh meh meh "

But Congrats to who won.
Can anyone share thier prizes with me? : )
I'll Be their BFF Lolz Anime hyper
Prax

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:16 pm Reply with quote
I totally entered that Haruto one as a joke entry (because I am no fan of Harry Potter either XD).

Also, don't be discouraged about people being able to use photoshop. There are actually some free programs out there that you can download that I know a lot of artists use.

- try stuff on THIS LIST
The GIMP, I know is mentioned often. PaintStar also looks promising.

- OpenCanvas 1.1
This is also used a lot, and this version is free and reportedly stable compared to the newer versions.

You can also try to download trial software (I think Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop can be downloaded for 30 day triels), but no one really likes having that stupid warning screen appear..

Have fun?
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Prax wrote:
=

You can also try to download trial software (I think Paint Shop Pro and Photoshop can be downloaded for 30 day triels), but no one really likes having that stupid warning screen appear..

I actually looked up for that and you had to pay a fee or buy it. There was no photo shop free trial sadly that's why I probably lost.
DMStudios

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:53 pm Reply with quote
I didn't get to make a full poster ish thing. I didn't add the text at the bottom, like actors and "produced by" type of stuff, but I thought you all should see it!
Kimyo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop wrote:
i knew this would happen.
Everyone that has photoshop would win
Or any equivelent to it.

The only thing i had to work with was a pencil a peice of computer paper and a 24 box of twistable crayons.

The text I did using PAINT.
I didn't think I was that bad until I saw the winners It still makes me mad because I don't have photoshop, and I know how to use it.

I know how you feel, sometimes it seems like people with computers and fancy programs have an unfair advantage, but you do the best you can, right?
I drew freehand and inked with an old-fashioned dip pen, then used paints to color it. I don't have a computer, so I had to go scan it at Kinko's, then loaded it into a Photobucket account, and used a website called myImager to add the text.

Conversely, there are lots of artists (like EOL manga creators) who spend so much time on fancy shading and coloring with Photoshop that they neglect anatomy, proportions, perspective, etc. and you get a lousy result. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, just keep trying! You'll inevitably get better the more you practice!
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Haruto was the best! It deserved to win Laughing
That'd be funny if they really attempted that one, I'd line up for the premier.
Prax

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:31 am Reply with quote
Cow-Boy_Be-Bop wrote:
Prax wrote:

I actually looked up for that and you had to pay a fee or buy it. There was no photo shop free trial sadly that's why I probably lost.

Actually, I found both Photoshop CS2 and Photoshop Elements on the actual company's site:

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/

Both are apparently 30-day trials that can be downloaded. I think there is some type of registration you have to do before downloading though (it's free, I just tested it out).

Good for anyone to know, I guess. For next time~~~! XD

And DMStudios, is that "mysterious ninja" supposed to be Obito? I got confused because I thought he had black/dark hair.. unless that's another ninja that happens to have a bandage over their eye as well. ^^ I love the dynamic poses that everyone's in.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:17 am Reply with quote
I gotta give props to the Hanabi poster for doing the impossible: It actually made the snot-nosed little kid Konohamaru hangs out with look like a total badass.

Also: Shouldn't there be some sort of spoiler warning on the link to the winning entries? The grand prize winner, while very cool, pretty much gives away the big twist of spoiler[Sasuke becoming a bad guy.]
DMStudios

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:06 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And DMStudios, is that "mysterious ninja" supposed to be Obito? I got confused because I thought he had black/dark hair..

Nope, it's an original character. I made up a story about a separate ninja that loved Obito, and when she found about about Kakashi taking "that" thing, she hates Kakashi for not letting him be "whole" in the end. She doesn't know about the gift that Obito gave Kakashi. So she wears the bandage in rememberance and to show how much she loved Obito.

thanks for the compliments too!
Gage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:22 am Reply with quote
Those were all nice work!
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:02 pm Reply with quote
It's a real honor to have placed in this contest. (I'm the one who created the MIB entry. It thrills me to see all the feedback on it in the forums!! Surprised) I know there was some strong competition out there.

You guys may find it interesting that if I hadn't found "MIB" in my video collection, my entry would have probably been "The Waterboy". Still not sure how that would've worked out. LOL.

Thanks to ANN and D3 and everyone else involved in running the contest!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7