Forum - View topic
Answerman - Setting Fire To Your Dreams Since 2013


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 7811
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if I've ever felt like, "I can do that" when I've heard voice actors (maybe some of the really terrible ones, but even they're probably better) in an anime. I haven't any acting skill and I'm not nearly as articulate in speech as I can be in writing. But it's also true that when I read manga, sometimes I voice the characters. It's pretty embarrassing when somebody hears me doing it when I thought I was alone. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Echo_City



Joined: 03 Apr 2011
Posts: 1236
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:29 pm Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
ooh, who are the voice actors who are "not that great of people"? dish us some dirt Justin! Twisted Evil

I'm curious as to know how he defines "not great" as well. I've my fingers crossed that it won't be the stereotypical hate towards a certain select few but that's hoping against hope.

Referencing this article's pic, Adventures in Voice Acting had interviews where several actors were dismissive of anime and were giving quotes to the tune of "This anime stuff is crap and it 'demeans' me as a 'real' actor but I do it for the money, such as it is." I don't really mind that there are actors who aren't fans but when those actors so blithely insult the fans of anime then I mind a tid bit. Point being, I'd say that there are a slew of Bang/Zoomers who aren't great people.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
penguintruth



Joined: 08 Dec 2004
Posts: 7811
Location: Penguinopolis
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I can't imagine many voice actors can afford to be too picky about what jobs they take.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 15785
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Referencing this article's pic, Adventures in Voice Acting had interviews where several actors were dismissive of anime and were giving quotes to the tune of "This anime stuff is crap and it 'demeans' me as a 'real' actor but I do it for the money, such as it is." I don't really mind that there are actors who aren't fans but when those actors so blithely insult the fans of anime then I mind a tid bit. Point being, I'd say that there are a slew of Bang/Zoomers who aren't great people.

I find the hate directed towards Bang Zoom! to be quite curious, as I regard it as one of the most consistent performers for turning out solid (though admittedly not always spectacular) anime dubs through much of the 2000s. They still have the stuff, too, as I have heard much more praise than complaints for their SAO dub and what I've heard of their Blue Exorcist dub so far is quite good.

Oh, and we do have a full review on the pictured DVD on this site, which was done when it first came out back in the summer of 2008.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ParaChomp



Joined: 10 Dec 2010
Posts: 1018
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote
On topic, anyone see I Know that Voice?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
v1cious



Joined: 31 Dec 2002
Posts: 5912
Location: Houston, TX
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
On the other side of things, does anyone know how much the average Japanese voice acting job pays? By average I mean the up-and-comers, not the Mamoru Miyano's
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
MaxSterling



Joined: 19 Apr 2011
Posts: 34
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:43 am Reply with quote
Kind of a Horror Electronics story similar to Jason's. I was supposed to get paid by a student for tutoring but instead received a Bose Lifestyle CD player with Subwoofer. He included the A/C adapter's for the main system and the subwoofer but none of the rest of the accessories. Mind you Bose uses RF instead of IR remotes so they charge an arm and a leg. So I ordered the antennas, cables and manual but no remote because it was way too high. It works to this day but I have to get up to raise/lower power on/off. It sounds great for a 2.1 system and I've definitely got my mileage out of it; that I may break down and get that remote after all these years.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mewpudding101
Industry Insider


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 2039
Location: Tokyo, Japan
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:29 am Reply with quote
I'm actually seriously working on becoming a voice actress in Japan. Attending auditions, going on TV, etc etc... And man, that has an even darker backlining than the American acting market... Seriously...

But that's a story for another time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
enurtsol



Joined: 01 May 2007
Posts: 13707
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:22 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Only electronics horror story I've had recently is a failing CPU heatsink on my homebuilt gaming PC.


Ha, ya should see when our expensive graphics card blew the tops off two of its capacitors! Laughing


Levitz9 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:

Quote:
It's pretty rare to ever see another voice actor because each person is scheduled to come in separately to record their lines.

Why do English dubs do this? The Japanese can get the actors in the booth at the same time.

Many voice actors have day jobs, and it can be hard to schedule a session where everyone is together. It does sound better when everyone is in the same room together, but ultimately, it takes time--which is something that few companies that still bother with dubs have.


And Japanese don't care as much about lip-synching, while that would bug the heck out of N. Americans. Laughing

Anyways, it might be easier to get your foot in the door thru indie gaming. Those can come out from anywhere, and it's easier to digitally publish now than ever.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cptn_Taylor



Joined: 08 Nov 2013
Posts: 923
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:


It doesn't help that fans in the U.S. tend to view themselves as the center of the world. "We're big on Schoolgirl Milky Crisis, and if Big O can get a second season for us, then so can SMC!"


Which is simply bullshit. The same thing happens in every anime fandom around the world, even in Japan. The big difference as Sakura Shinguji has written is that Japanese fans get merchandise that fills the void should a second/third season not be produced. Fans outside of Japan simply don't have this choice, so of course they're much more invested in seeing and anime taken to its logical conclusion without the aid of drama cd's or novels which for the most part will never be available in any other language than Japanese.
So stop being so condescending.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Joe Carpenter



Joined: 29 Oct 2011
Posts: 499
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:40 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Joe Carpenter wrote:
ooh, who are the voice actors who are "not that great of people"? dish us some dirt Justin! Twisted Evil

I'm curious as to know how he defines "not great" as well. I've my fingers crossed that it won't be the stereotypical hate towards a certain select few but that's hoping against hope.

Referencing this article's pic, Adventures in Voice Acting had interviews where several actors were dismissive of anime and were giving quotes to the tune of "This anime stuff is crap and it 'demeans' me as a 'real' actor but I do it for the money, such as it is." I don't really mind that there are actors who aren't fans but when those actors so blithely insult the fans of anime then I mind a tid bit. Point being, I'd say that there are a slew of Bang/Zoomers who aren't great people.



didn't Bang Zoom! do the dub for Eureka 7? so they can sometimes put out quality stuff, I love that dub
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Just Passing Through



Joined: 04 Apr 2011
Posts: 255
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:51 am Reply with quote
If I buy some electronics kit, and even the slightest thing goes wrong within the guarantee period, it's back for a refund, repair or replacement. I can't believe that Justin kept that Blu-ray player when its display fritzed after a month.

With my first DVD player, I tried to be eco-friendly, and switch it off at the mains each night. Electronics aren't mean to go through that, heat up cool down, moisture forming cycle, and that Sony player fritzed out after 14 months, shelled out to get it repaired, and it died the following year. I replaced it with another Sony, which I've left plugged in ever since, and it's been going without any problems for 11 years. It'll play anything I throw at it, except oddly one Racoons animation DVD release.

For my home cinema now, I've got a Panasonic home cinema system, the Blu-ray works okay, aside from some disc incompatibilities (seriously while I love HD video and audio. I bloody hate Blu-ray with its Java interface, clunky disc authoring, and load times that take so bloody long), and a nice flat panel display. The hardware is fine, but the more the software gets complicated, the quicker it is to screw up, and that isn't the kind of thing you send back to the manufacturer to fix. My Blu-ray player is seriously under-rammed, and if I watch a disc normally I'm fine, but if I get greedy, stick on a film, use BD live to listen to the commentary, watch the PIP interviews with the subtitles on, have the storyboards on in another corner, get the pop-up menu on screen, and start navigating around the disc, all at the same time, odds are that the player will crash.

The TV's got its quirks too. If I watch a satellite channel, stick a movie on the player it will autoswitch as it's supposed to and play the film through without a problem. If I watch a terrestrial channel through an aerial, stick a disc in the player and start watching, and then the broadcasters decide to update the channel list and send a signal to the TV to pop up a screen saying new channels are available, and if I'm still watching a Blu-ray at the time. The TV might just switch itself off and on again for no reason. It did this rarely enough, once every few months for me to just dismiss it as a quirk before I sussed it out and started leaving it on Satellite or switching to the HDMI input manually before putting a disc in.

It's a fault in the software, but how do you get the retailers or manufacturers to fix that, even in the guarantee period.

As for using electronics past their sell-by date. Mine has to be my first CD player, which I bought back in 1986. It was built into a MIDI system under a store marque, the whole thing cost me less than the price of standalone CD players at the time, and I thought it was good value, until i realised why it was so cheap. It only picked up about 5 radio stations, the record player ate through styluses, and the double tape deck used to play at random speeds. The CD player was solid though, and the speakers were good quality. This being 1986, and me earning pocket money at the time, I only bought 3 CDs though, and didn't play them all that much. By the time I got round to collecting CDs a few years later, the CD player's motor had started to go. I actually had to put the CD in, open the front trap door, press play and simultaneously spin the CD up to speed with my finger myself to get it start playing.

I kept on using that trick to listen to CDs for another fifteen years before I finally got rid of that MIDI player!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rederoin



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 1416
Location: Europa
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
Levitz9 wrote:


It doesn't help that fans in the U.S. tend to view themselves as the center of the world. "We're big on Schoolgirl Milky Crisis, and if Big O can get a second season for us, then so can SMC!"


Which is simply bullshit. The same thing happens in every anime fandom around the world, even in Japan. The big difference as Sakura Shinguji has written is that Japanese fans get merchandise that fills the void should a second/third season not be produced. Fans outside of Japan simply don't have this choice, so of course they're much more invested in seeing and anime taken to its logical conclusion without the aid of drama cd's or novels which for the most part will never be available in any other language than Japanese.
So stop being so condescending.

You could just import those things, you know?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cptn_Taylor



Joined: 08 Nov 2013
Posts: 923
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:54 am Reply with quote
rederoin wrote:

You could just import those things, you know?


Importing does you no good when you don't speak Japanese.
Do you think all anime fans outside Japan are fluent in Japanese ? If you think so then I've got the Golden Gate bridge to sell you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rederoin



Joined: 29 May 2013
Posts: 1416
Location: Europa
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:05 am Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
rederoin wrote:

You could just import those things, you know?


Importing does you no good when you don't speak Japanese.
Do you think all anime fans outside Japan are fluent in Japanese ? If you think so then I've got the Golden Gate bridge to sell you.

And? Most of that stuff, including anime, is aimed at the Japanese market in the first place.

I don't really get what you're complaining about in the first place. If you want it so badly, use fan-translations or learn to understand the language.


Last edited by Rederoin on Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group