• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, March 3-9

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:09 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

They'll buy those once those come over to the West. The J-licensors won't make as much money, but they'll likely sell more than 7,000 copies.

I'm a bit confused as to whether you're talking the Japanese sales or not. Since v3 already sold more than 7k, and it will sell around 9.3k~(going by what v2 sold).
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:28 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Cetais wrote:
Yay for AnoHana, the movie was really good, even my friend who didn't saw the TV series like it.

Though I have to say, those number of units that sold are rather low compared to the other late-night anime series movies like Madoka and K-ON! which sold at least 3 times as many copies especially since they all netted at least a billion yen in the box office.
Madoka and K-ON! are the worst comparisons you could make, given both managed to claim the title of "highest-grossing late-night anime movie".
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
Cetais wrote:
Yay for AnoHana, the movie was really good, even my friend who didn't saw the TV series like it.

Though I have to say, those number of units that sold are rather low compared to the other late-night anime series movies like Madoka and K-ON! which sold at least 3 times as many copies especially since they all netted at least a billion yen in the box office.
Madoka and K-ON! are the worst comparisons you could make, given both managed to claim the title of "highest-grossing late-night anime movie".

Meanwhile, Anohana is at 3rd.

But I think the comparison is fair, other late-night movies also tend to sell far more than the original series(recaps with nothing changed are excluded).

Strike witches, a movie that grossed around 1/5th of Ano Hana, ended up selling more, or around the same, amount of BD/DVD's.
So I definitely think something unexpected happened with those sales.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
MadMan400096 wrote:
rederoin wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
You'd almost think for all the talk and hype the show gets, it'd be selling 30k copies or something.

Maybe if the popularity in the west was relevant to anime sales.

That wouldn't surprise me at all. From what I've heard, Little Witch Academia didn't even make a dent in Japan despite its Western popularity, so it would stand to reason that Kill la Kill would follow that trend.

Well, if Westerners bought the show in those kinds of numbers at Japanese prices, the market would stand a chance of shifting at least a little.

Since Aniplex gets Kill La Kill, we will be able to find out if westerners are willing to pay high price for it or not. Otherwise, so much of Kill La Kill saving anime is just wishful thinking.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
I can't really see how they could do anything other than a recap other than perhaps doing a full flashback to more stories of the Super Peace Busters.

That would be amazing. I would love to see a prequel series: maybe how they all met through to the antics they had in the SPB finishing just before or at her death.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2