• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RTO - In the Knight Kitchen

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Collectonian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:55 am Reply with quote
Big unfinished for me is the one I'm currently rereading: D.N.Angel - 2 volumes left when TP closed shop. Granted, in that case the series isn't done in Japan either *doh*

Beyond the Beyond - TP released 4 of the 6 volumes.

B.O.D.Y. Which I discovered recently only had 10 of its 15 volumes released in the US by VIZ. Per their FB reps, they dropped the series and have no intention of finishing it, not even digitally.

I rather enjoyed Platinum Garden, but like other TP series, it is unfinished - 7 or 8 volumes of the 15 came out. For extra frustration - Ghost Hunt - only 1 volume to go when it was apparently cancelled. Sad

Also 3rd (4th) Immortal Rain.

If we can include light novels, then two that still have me bummed: Kino no Tabi and Ballad of a Shinigami. The latter, in particular, as both the anime and manga were only teasers for the light novels. Sad
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:41 pm Reply with quote
None of these books float my boat. Maybe "Happy Marriage?" might have, but knowing the answer to the title question already is like a British box of chocolates. They tell you whats inside before you eat them. Takes all the mystery out of life. Maybe being married for 37 years might also make it taste a bit too bland as well. I'll just say none of their situations would have stopped us mid-air fueling back in the day. Laughing
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Thanks, Agent355! It's going to stay bi-weekly for the time being - I certainly read enough for a weekly, but I'm not sure I could maintain it with grading papers and other fun things from my Other Life. (The joys of teaching English...) I may go into some of the out-of-print stuff, though - I'm still kind of miffed that Viz hasn't released some of their older shoujo titles as 3-in-1s, like From Far Away, Red River, or Hana Yori Dango.

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions, everyone! I've got them on a list by my computer so that I can make use of them. I was actually going to go with Aria for this column, but then I really wanted to make the bad Maurice Sendak joke for the title. Embarassed

Oh, and as for censoring in the yaoi - it's not censored per se, as in bits are blocked out, but she did save herself the task of drawing the perfect penis. I kind of like leaving it to the imagination, but it would have been funny to see her try to draw it, presumably with sparkles and magic shoujo flowers. Wink

Very Happy so does she just not draw anything at all? I've seen manga where there's a blank space between the guy's legs. Or is there not enough nudity to tell?

Basara is one of the titles Viz is re-releasing digitally, along with Please Save My Earth and From Far Away. I'm not sure if they've started releasing older joset like Tramps Like Us. I'm still not used to digital manga-despite my Shonen Jump subscription and Crunchyroll membership, I'm not as comfortable reading manga digitally as physically, so digital only reprints of the best shojo titles out there is very disappointing.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Tramps Like Us was Tokyopop, not Viz, so there's close to zero chance of that coming out digitally.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:14 pm Reply with quote
I'll add The Future Diary for another unfinished series. Tokyopop was sooooooo close: 10 out of the 12 volumes released. At least we got the anime.

And dat Yaoi manga, I've Seen it All. With that description, I've heard it all. If I read that I probably would have seen it all too. Shocked
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Basara is one of the titles Viz is re-releasing digitally, along with Please Save My Earth and From Far Away. I'm not sure if they've started releasing older joset like Tramps Like Us. I'm still not used to digital manga-despite my Shonen Jump subscription and Crunchyroll membership, I'm not as comfortable reading manga digitally as physically, so digital only reprints of the best shojo titles out there is very disappointing.

They've also got Red River u on their site which is great for me, that was the last really long shojo series (isn't it like 28 volumes?) that i wanted to read but didn't want to spend shelf space on. Anime hyper

And man it's sad that as soon as I saw "hot kitchen utensils" in the blurb I knew it was going to be Pandra Restaurant, for a little while eManga was sending out review copies of some titles and for the life of me I couldn't think of anything to say about that title so I never reviewed it, it's both weird and dull which is almost an accomplishment!
Mai5

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Some other recommendation for the unfinished. I Hate You More Than Anyone, I rather liked the series and was disappointed it was never finished. The Japanese omnibus volumes are calling me now...

Strangely enough V.B.Rose by the same author also got left unfinished, with two volumes left.

Maid-sama was another series I enjoyed. It just ended in Japan at 18 volumes.

Apothecarius Argentum and D.N.Angel were two of my favorites. Of all things I bought them after their companies closed knowing I might not ever see the ending.

I really enjoy your column, especially the imports. Thanks!
catandmouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:11 pm Reply with quote
For Unfinished manga in the US I have:
Zig*Zag by Yuki Nakaji (this one has been completely translated in English by Chuang Yi in Singapore) and Trinity Blood.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Very Happy so does she just not draw anything at all? I've seen manga where there's a blank space between the guy's legs. Or is there not enough nudity to tell?

She goes with the sort of vague outline technique - you can tell basically what you're looking at, but not whether its especially "perfect" or anything. Mostly she just avoids drawing frontal crotch shots - you'll see a lot more butts than groins in the book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2