• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America Offers Toradora! Blu-rays With English Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shi666san

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:03 am Reply with quote
While I don't particularly care for the dub, I'm ordering it because of BD's. That seems like a good enough reason to double dip on this series.
kamen_otaku81

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:06 am Reply with quote
That....That....That came out of left field. I wasn't expecting it at all.

And how come Amanda Lee isn't voicing Taiga?

This is truly unexpected.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:09 am Reply with quote
I already own the original Premium Editions of this title and I don't feel the need to double-dip, but I'm still glad to hear this news because I always think it's cool when a distrib expands the way it handles its releases. I felt the same way when Funi released its first sub-only title last year (OniAni) even though I didn't give a crap about the actual title itself. The NA anime distribution biz is a tough one and it is good to see companies doing things that can possibly fatten their bottom lines (with the exception of price-gouging, of course - that's the one initiative I wouldn't be behind).

Now this does cause a personal dilemma for me. I had vowed to buy a copy of every Premium Edition that NISA puts out. As I said, I already own the original of Toradora! So by not buying this am I violating my pledge? Hmmm....
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:10 am Reply with quote
holy (bleeping) KLAC oh YES YES YES it happen & yes it about time FINALLY happen.

thosr nis finally give in to show english dub anime & it's toradora yea long wait over-due dub finally came true.

yet cast list

cass as taiga
kimerer as ryuji
cabs as minori
jyb as kitamura
harlacher as ami

at last it came now wait for those other nis anime to get dub to come true.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:21 am Reply with quote
What?! NIS America is finally dubbing anime now?! Awesome! If Toradora's dub sells well, will they even dub AnoHana or Natsume Yuujinchou or Bunny Drop?! God, now I'm glad I didn't buy any of their works (I've been wanting to for a while but the cons I went to either didn't have the titles I wanted or never had any of their releases at all).
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:39 am Reply with quote
Given Answer-Justin's comment a few months back that Hulu is beginning to generate serious money for anime companies, I kind of wonder if NISA isn't going to ultimately make more money long-term by having a nice, accessible dub on Hulu generating advertising revenue ad infinitum. After all, a romantic comedy like Toradora! will be made particularly more attractive to casual fans with a dub.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:46 am Reply with quote
I also just noticed that the UK's MVM Entertainment is also announcing a Toradora! dub. I wonder if NISA got together with other international licensees to fund the dub, the way Sentai did with Clannad.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:51 am Reply with quote
I already have the subtitled DVDs and I don't see Blu-ray as a big enough improvement to warrant a double dip.

But I can't resist the temptation of an English dub. And I've never been happier to fall right into their trap. I mean, I can just hear Cassandra Lee as Taiga. Definite buy for me... assuming it even gets released here in Australia.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:56 am Reply with quote
One last thing… chatting with friends this morning about Toradora!'s great characters, iconic moments, and its mix of comedy and heartbreak has made me realize something important:

Golden Time really sucks by comparison.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:57 am Reply with quote
I probably won't double dip but this does make me think the chances of Genshiken Season 2 getting a dub have increased
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
One last thing… chatting with friends this morning about Toradora!'s great characters, iconic moments, and its mix of comedy and heartbreak has made me realize something important:

Well, it's just comparison. Toradora is one of the greatest examples of the romantic comedy genre; It's a bit beyond a "tough act to follow" and more like a "one in a million fluke".

The release is a good deal; The half sets are competitive with mainstream BD anime and the full set with the goodies is better. Well, better than Psycho-Pass.

Ok, mostly better than the show. Kamisama Kiss doesn't even come close...
the skinny

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
That's good news, I got rly into this show due to a parody/abridged series dub of it (ToraDora! Randomness, go check it out!) on YouTube and thought it was weird that this show never got a dub when it was licensed given its popularity...
JediSamurai7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

I am only through episode 8 of Golden Time but it is nothing compared to Toradora in characters and scenarios. Actually its quite depressing with the major premise but with very weird characters that I can't seem to genuinely love except for Linda-senpai...I'll will continue it though.

As for this dub? I remember asking NIS back in 2012 if there was ever a chance of this coming out on Bluray and they said not anytime soon so I invested in the Rightstuf DVD bundle. Cassandra Lee as Taiga? Wow - I love her acting and am intrigued to see how she does with a gruff character like Taiga. (vs. her other roles of Ritsu in K-On! and Kyubey in Madoka)

The rest of the cast - Cabanos, Bosh - I love it! The others I don't know much about but I will get this on Bluray with the OVA.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
OH MY!!!!! I guess some of my money is going to be leaving me this summer! YAY!
Mc-Taz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:51 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
I have the original premium sets on dvd, might not be a bad choice for an upgrade. I hope they clarify if there are any content differences on the discs and artbook to see if that would be worth getting as well, though with only a $10 difference on msrp, it's not a big deal either way.

I hope NISA shows some comparisons between the DVD & BD releases to cement my decision.

Also nice to see NISA producing a dub for those who want it, guess Toradora has done well over all and hopefully will mean more business for them upon release!

As far as content, the OVA episode is included in this set which was not available yet for the original release. Also the artbook and artbox are not in the usual configuration for NISA Premium Editions; it's a DVD-height box similar to most other company's LE offerings. The content of the artbook itself is likely to be different, not just because it's in a different formatting, but I expect it will also contain different information than the original releases had and include some carry over as well.

For the comparison between the DVD and Blu-ray versions, the upscale was produced for the Blu-ray in Japan with a new Sony technique that had impressive results. The image quality improvement alone is worth it in my opinion.
Here is a link to an image of samples comparing the JP BD vs. DVD releases.

NISA has stated at conventions in the past that Toradora is by far their best selling anime title to date. It's not surprising they chose it to be their first dubbed title, but it's still incredibly awesome! I personally cannot wait for this release. I had been hoping and asking for this since the Blu-ray was first announced in Japan. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8