• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Portable Power

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
With a userbase as tiny as Vita's there is literally no sense in fragmenting the userbase by changing the internal hardware to a great degree. Especially when you consider that there are already plenty of Vita games that struggle to hit its current native resolution.

Games struggling to meet the native resolution of the console's screen = bad coding. That's just inexcusable.

The PSP fragmented the userbase with hardware changes over the various versions. Sony has set a precedent. Shoot, they're known for doing that as they've been doing it since at least the days of the PS2.

Why should Sony keep the same ancient hardware in production? At the very least, perhaps they could do what the last generation of 360 did and use modern, superior hardware but gimp it as so to gain power and cost advantages while not making those new 360s vastly superior to their ancestors. Sony set the bar pretty low for the Vita on hardware Sad
Mister Ryan Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
PSP is proof if you like Japanese games, then get off your butt and learn Japanese already. A lot of the best games for it never came stateside. The PSP has an AMAZING library of games.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
The PSP fragmented the userbase with hardware changes over the various versions. Sony has set a precedent. Shoot, they're known for doing that as they've been doing it since at least the days of the PS2.

What are you talking about? A PSP game released in 2014 will work on a 2004 launch PSP. They changed displays a handful of times, and added a microphone, alongside a TV output jack, but those are mostly superfluous additions that didn't impede game playing. Sony made no real changes to the PSP's internals outside of a RAM upgrade that was mostly for OS features.

One of the benefits from a developer perspective of consoles/handhelds over PCs/phones is that the hardware is set for its entire life. You're asking them to recant on that.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:22 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
Echo_City wrote:

What are you talking about? A PSP game released in 2014 will work on a 2004 launch PSP. They changed displays a handful of times, and added a microphone, alongside a TV output jack, but those are mostly superfluous additions that didn't impede game playing. Sony made no real changes to the PSP's internals outside of a RAM upgrade that was mostly for OS features.

One of the benefits from a developer perspective of consoles/handhelds over PCs/phones is that the hardware is set for its entire life. You're asking them to recant on that.
As you admitted, they changed their hardware. Therefore, asking them to "recant" on something they never adhered to in the first place is pretty insignificant. Also as you've said, the "Standardized hardware" means little to software developers as games on Vita aren't running qHD flawlessly after 3 years with the system (it didn't mean all that much for the PS3/360 either...).

That 32 MB of disk cache RAM makes a helluva difference between the original PSP and the subsequent PSPs.

...lest we forget, Sony made the PSP Go which was incompatible with all physical PSP games. Radical hardware changes and radical restrictions on product usage are not unexplored territory for them.

My dated smartphone has vastly superior hardware to the Vita. It just has inferior controls. Sony offers me better controls but I have to limit my potential gaming goodness to obtain them. If Sony had at least struck for HD graphics with the Vita then this might not have been so bad but as this article pointed out, the PSP stuck around forever and we know that the PS3/360 hung around WAY longer than they had any right to (retarding gaming for eons) so it doesn't sound too radical to suggest that the Vita will be around a long time. The problem is that the Vita was given barely-acceptable tech back in 2011 and it is woefully inadequate just 3 years in to an unknown-length lifespan.
CatzCradle

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I LOVE FUNGHI!~ xD

Nice to hear that a 3rd Touch Detective is getting made. Hope it gets licensed in NA too!
Just-another-face

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
Truly? With the sub-SDTV screen resolution I would have thought that complaints would have been more common.

Uh yeah? I've rarely heard this complaint about the PSP.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3