• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 "Unholy" Priests

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Abel's vampire-like "Crusnik" powers haven't left him despite his new mission as a priest, but he keeps them under wraps for the sake of humanity.
His powers come from the fact that he was a genetically engineered, nanobot-infused "ubermensch" built for a flubbed colonization project on Mars. He's like a combination of a Proxy from Ergo Proxy and, of course, Vash the Stampede.

Why would those "completely scientific" powers disappear simply because he joined up with the Catholic church?

Y'all are right, the Needress guy should have been on this list. Also, is Wolfwood really a priest? I remember that he was just an assassin with a cross-shaped gun.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
FierceAlchemist wrote:
What about Kirei from the Fate series?

Yeah, I'm kind of surprised that he got overlooked. Also that priest from Fullmetal Alchemist.
Sasukeuzi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:48 pm Reply with quote
FierceAlchemist wrote:
What about Kirei from the Fate series?

This
Running Wild

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:15 pm Reply with quote
I like Anderson, but Wolfwood... too good.
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:13 am Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:
Nice list, although I expected that someone from Chrono Crusade would be in.

Yup, yup! I thought of him too!
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Yeah, I'm kind of surprised that he got overlooked. Also that priest from Fullmetal Alchemist.

Talking about Cornello, right? That religion of his was, at most, implicitly based on Christianity, so he probably wouldn't quite qualify for this list.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:53 am Reply with quote
What does the "anisongs" option on the poll mean? Jpop & rock, anime theme songs, or some kind of fan songs?

Anime certainly got me into Jpop & Jrock, although most of the songs I like are anime themes.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:21 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
What does the "anisongs" option on the poll mean?
OPs, EDs, insert songs, "character image songs". Pretty much all music directly related to anime.

And, I suppose, technically not including songs appropriated for anime use (Ally Kerr in Mushishi, Oasis in Eden of the East, etc.)
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:37 am Reply with quote
What? No mentioning about Garterbelt is a suspected pedophile whose into younger boys?
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:
I would have said Altena in Noir but I guess she technically is not a priest?

Neither is Yolanda, who's on the List, so that seems like a legit choice.
No No No. A nun is not a priest, just the same as a priest is not a nun. so Yolanda is disqualified and should not be in that list.

jdnation wrote:
While Yolanda from Black Lagoon is related to the category, she's not a priest, she's a nun. There is an assistant priest there who showed up once, and undoubtedly the Mother Superior is in charge of that operation, though in all likelihood the whole thing is a CIA front posing as a Church.

Just sayin...
I don't think Yolanda spoiler[knew that Eda was CIA, as a matter of fact I don't think anyone suspects her at all, even Revy, though Revy might have wondered how the CIA knew so much about her past life and record back in NYC. ] Wink
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:48 am Reply with quote
Mikeski wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:
I voted for DVD collecting (although, I mostly do BD collecting) in the new poll. Watching the shows is of course my favorite part of fandom, but I think this is a given, and therefore, should not be in the poll.
I took that answer to be "None of the above. All I care about is watching the shows; the rest of the fandom can take a long walk off a short pier."

Exactly my thoughts when I picked that one.

KutovoiAnton wrote:
Rejice, Kotomine Kirei. Your cover was not blown up by this top, so you can continue your trolling sessions.

:)

NuGaiNM7 wrote:
at least I'm not the only one who thought Mr. Kotomine Kirei should have at least been on the list! all those orphans in the basement, man. >.<

I completely forgot he did that one... (probably because it only came up once and then wasn't mentioned again, ever, in any scenario)
But it still falls under my intentionally vague description though.

Echo_City wrote:
Quote:
Abel's vampire-like "Crusnik" powers haven't left him despite his new mission as a priest, but he keeps them under wraps for the sake of humanity.
His powers come from the fact that he was a genetically engineered, nanobot-infused "ubermensch" built for a flubbed colonization project on Mars. He's like a combination of a Proxy from Ergo Proxy and, of course, Vash the Stampede.

Why would those "completely scientific" powers disappear simply because he joined up with the Catholic church?

Y'all are right, the Needress guy should have been on this list. Also, is Wolfwood really a priest? I remember that he was just an assassin with a cross-shaped gun.

As a matter of fact, he was technically supposed to be a priest. Especially in the manga.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sunflower

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:45 am Reply with quote
I think it would probably be more challenging to list the anime with priests where there's some semblance of understanding Christian philosophy... The only one that comes to mind for me is Kids on the Slope.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
The nun who had misused C.C. in the Code Geass series is always one to remember for me.

Mikeski wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
What about miroku from inuyasha

What part of his character is Christian? Did you read the List?

Yup, he's Buddhist.

No I know he's buddhist haha. But is Cross Marian Christian? I could have sword he wasn't? Thats why I mentioned my guy.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Mikeski wrote:
wonderwomanhero wrote:
I would have said Altena in Noir but I guess she technically is not a priest?

Neither is Yolanda, who's on the List, so that seems like a legit choice.
No No No. A nun is not a priest, just the same as a priest is not a nun. so Yolanda is disqualified and should not be in that list.

Well, I was willing to accept "priest" as imprecise shorthand for "Christian (most likely Roman Catholic) or pseudo-Christian (most likely pseudo-Roman-Catholic) religious leader" in this context.

Otherwise, most of the list would be defrocked if not outright excommunicated for their behavior and beliefs, assuming they were able to lie their way through the sacrament of Holy Orders in the first place, and then none of them would qualify. Laughing
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:37 pm Reply with quote
From the Mirriam-Webster dictionary:

Priest : a person who has the authority to lead or perform ceremonies in some religions and especially in some Christian religions.

Priests are not restricted to only Christianity.

I would've included that guy from Naruto... the one that spoiler[killed Asuma]. That guy was definitely a priest, and *definitely* unholy. Man I hated that guy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4