• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tsubasa Yonaga, Takuya Eguchi Star in Love Stage!! Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaos Salad

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Edit: This turned out so damn long, I apologize -_-

lebrel wrote:

i agree entirely that the larger Japanese culture has difficulty separating homosexuality from transgenderism. I don't think that's what's driving BL. There are BL manga with trans women in them, and the authors, overwhelmingly, seem completely clear on the difference between a feminine uke, a crossdressing cis man, and a trans woman.

Well if that's true, then I definitely want to see some of these titles! The popular BL tend to handle these themes poorly.

lebrel wrote:

I disagree. BL is largely part of shoujo. Shoujo in general is deeply invested in gender non-normativity. Look at the number of heterosexual romances in which the male lead has overtly non-masculine traits, from his hobbies/personality (Otomen) to outright crossdressing (at least four in English; of those not in English, Usotsuki Lily is particularly interesting). Look at the shoujo series where sexually aggressive women target feminine uke-ish men (Train*Train, Gakuen Prince). Look at the sheer amount of shoujo-related merch featuring cute uke-type guys who are not presented as being in gay relationships. You can't tell me that that is all byblows of stereotypes about homosexuality.

I think it's great that there are Shojo titles that features subversion of the usually romance tropes. Why is it that BL doesn't also have this sort of diversity? BL seems to follow the "girly uke" and "manly seme" formula way too often. It all still seems pretty fishy to me. If defying conventional masculinity is really the goal, why are there not many feminine man x feminine man titles? I'm aware that they exist, but they aren't nearly as popular as titles that feature the usual seme/uke BL relationship. I suppose you could argue that the presence of a "manly seme" would highlight the femininity of the "girly uke", but then why must they always be in a relationship? You could easily place other manly characters around the feminine character to get the same effect, but this is not the strategy that mangaka use. There is still that "manly seme" that inevitably winds up with the "girly uke", which mirrors heterosexual relationships way too closely.

You mentioned that some BL mangaka are fairly well informed when it comes to sexuality and transgender issues. I'll give you that, but it still stands that the prototypical manly seme/girly uke works are the most popular. I still believe that this reflects Japan's perception of gay relationships. Like I said before, if this was about defying conventional masculinity, why the heck does that manly seme always come with the girly uke?

lebrel wrote:

I really don't think it's only because gay men don't want to be stereotyped generally. Japanese gay men's media (and to a large extent Western gay men's media) overwhelmingly represent gay men as uniformly hypermasculine, which is itself a stereotype. There are gay men who do not identify with this stereotype, and there have certainly been gay men who have complained about it, but not to the degree or with the vitrol that the majority complain about being stereotyped as feminine. The particular distaste for being represented as feminine is absolutely related to the devaluation of femininity.

(Not at all related to BL, but for a Western gay man's take on this issue, David Halperin's How To Be Gay discusses the relative valoration of gendered traits in American gay culture.)

I'm sure that there are people out there who devalue femininity like you are saying, but you are making it sound like that is the main thing that's going down. The main issue is still the larger cultural context of how homosexuality is perceived in Japan. Often, people react more extremely against a stereotype if its more prevalent. It's something that you have to fight harder against. Some gay men are portrayed as hypermasculine, and if a gay man physically looks very masculine (muscular build, traditional masculine clothes and whatnot), then it's true that he may be placed in this category. However, I would argue that the "feminine gay man" stereotype is so prevalent in Japan, that if a gay man does not look hypermasculine, he will automatically be seen as "feminine gay man who wants to be a woman". I would not blame a gay man for being irked at this assumption.

I feel that it's similar to how lesbians can be stereotyped in America. There's an expectation in American culture that lesbians should be "butch", similar to the Japanese expectation that a gay man should be feminine. If a lesbian reacts badly to a person expecting her to be butch, it doesn't necessarily mean she hates masculinity. In that video I keep referencing, the gay man (who didn't want to come out to people because of that feminine stereotype) didn't seem disgusted at being seen as a woman. The impression that I got was that he hated when people assumed things about him that weren't true.

Chagen46 wrote:
Since I'm not a girl I can't really add to the conversation, I have to say that debates like this are why I prefer ANN to other anime forums. You don't have calm debate like this on other sites.

I agree. In other places, this could have turned really bad really fast. Hahaha
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:27 pm Reply with quote
One thing:

Quote:
I think it's great that there are Shojo titles that features subversion of the usually romance tropes. Why is it that BL doesn't also have this sort of diversity? BL seems to follow the "girly uke" and "manly seme" formula way too often. It all still seems pretty fishy to me. If defying conventional masculinity is really the goal, why are there not many feminine man x feminine man titles? I'm aware that they exist, but they aren't nearly as popular as titles that feature the usual seme/uke BL relationship. I suppose you could argue that the presence of a "manly seme" would highlight the femininity of the "girly uke", but then why must they always be in a relationship? You could easily place other manly characters around the feminine character to get the same effect, but this is not the strategy that mangaka use. There is still that "manly seme" that inevitably winds up with the "girly uke", which mirrors heterosexual relationships way too closely.

I feel the purpose of putting the two extremes together is simply to highlight the differences between them. Foils are a common thing in writing, and usually a character's foil is equal in importance to them. A manly seme and a feminine uke when together emphasize the each other's traits. It's like how in heterosexual romances, say, a calm collected guy and a more whimsical girl are put together (though then we get into the possibly-bad territory of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl...). Also, conflict can come from both characters clashing with each other.

If the Seme/Uke dynamic is popular in Japan because of their perception of gay relationships, as you say, then why is the dynamic popular in western BL fandom as well? Us westerners don't have the "gay men are women trapped in a man's body" idea (well, MOST of us don't, hopefully!) and as CrowLia said are a little further ahead of Japan when it comes to homosexual stuff (though we're far, FAR from perfect) and yet the dynamic is very popular here as well. Are we simply missing the context and interpreting it through a different cultural lens?
lebrel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Chaos Salad wrote:

Well if that's true, then I definitely want to see some of these titles! The popular BL tend to handle these themes poorly.

I don't know what you've read, but off the top of my head, titles that have trans women characters (as side characters or bit parts, admittedly) that are clearly not just gay men in drag: Liberty Liberty!, Hinako Takanaga; Bad Teacher's Equation, Kazuma Kodaka; Depression Of The Anti-Romanticist, Yasuna Saginuma and Riyu Yamakami (which has a very brief discussion of the transwoman in question coming out to her parents - it went badly).

Chaos Salad wrote:
Why is it that BL doesn't also have this sort of diversity? BL seems to follow the "girly uke" and "manly seme" formula way too often. It all still seems pretty fishy to me. If defying conventional masculinity is really the goal, why are there not many feminine man x feminine man titles?

Well, a couple of reasons. As Chagen46 points out, it's an axiom of shoujo romance that there should be a strong contrast between the leads (see both of the translated "how to be a shoujo mangaka" books). Another is that it allows the female reader to occupy a traditionally masculine role (in the several reader-response surveys of Anglophone BL readers that have been published in the academic literature, about one-third of women readers report identifying primarily with the seme.) And I don't think femme x femme BL is all that rare, actually; it just doesn't get translated that often.

Chaos Salad wrote:
I'm sure that there are people out there who devalue femininity like you are saying, but you are making it sound like that is the main thing that's going down.

In terms of the hostility towards "girly ukes", I do think that's the main thing going down.

Chaos Salad wrote:
The main issue is still the larger cultural context of how homosexuality is perceived in Japan.

I think this is a separate issue. I don't think BL is either causing or following this.

Chaos Salad wrote:
I feel that it's similar to how lesbians can be stereotyped in America. There's an expectation in American culture that lesbians should be "butch", similar to the Japanese expectation that a gay man should be feminine.

But there's lots of yuri-for-girls manga that feature "girl prince" or Tarazukara male impersonator style characters. They're not being driven by lesbian stereotypes, they're being driven by the appeal of gender non-normativity
Chaos Salad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:25 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I feel the purpose of putting the two extremes together is simply to highlight the differences between them. Foils are a common thing in writing, and usually a character's foil is equal in importance to them. A manly seme and a feminine uke when together emphasize the each other's traits. It's like how in heterosexual romances, say, a calm collected guy and a more whimsical girl are put together (though then we get into the possibly-bad territory of the Manic Pixie Dream Girl...). Also, conflict can come from both characters clashing with each other.

I suppose I can accept that as being one reason why the girly uke/manly seme trope exists. However, I still find it unsettling that the relationship dynamic tends to mirror heterosexual romance clichés. If we were to give this the benefit of the doubt and say that the characters were given their traits solely to defy gender conformity, is it now inevitable that the couple must have a dynamic that is more stereotypical of heterosexual couples? When you compare the relationships in BL and shojo works, it’s easy to see how similar the formulas are.

Chagen46 wrote:

If the Seme/Uke dynamic is popular in Japan because of their perception of gay relationships, as you say, then why is the dynamic popular in western BL fandom as well? Us westerners don't have the "gay men are women trapped in a man's body" idea (well, MOST of us don't, hopefully!) and as CrowLia said are a little further ahead of Japan when it comes to homosexual stuff (though we're far, FAR from perfect) and yet the dynamic is very popular here as well. Are we simply missing the context and interpreting it through a different cultural lens?

Ooo, this is a super interesting point to bring up. I’m definitely not an expert on this particular topic of sexuality, but I have dabbled in researching some theories behind this and I love to speculate, so here goes. While there are various types of anime/manga in Japan, the most popular tends to make its way to the US. I would argue that the most popular BL in Japan is of the “manly seme”/”girly uke” variety that is targeted towards women. Consequently, that is the prevalent type of BL that we see in the States. For lady anime fans that like guy on guy, this may have been what they were more exposed to, and thus grew to enjoy. From what I’ve witnessed of American non-anime-fan women who like guy on guy stuff, they tend to like the more masculine guy on masculine guy stuff (again, totally haven’t seen research on this, so relying on my own anecdotal experiences). We can also speculate that heterosexual women may rely on or be more comfortable with romantic dynamics that they are more familiar with. So although they may enjoy seeing/reading about guys loving other guys, they may wish to see romantic aspects that are found in more familiar heterosexual relationships, such as one of the guys having more stereotypical feminine traits and the other guy being more stereotypically masculine. Lots of possibilities!

lebrel wrote:

I don't know what you've read, but off the top of my head…

Thanks! I’ll try to check some of these out.

I have to disagree with your view on characters in yuri titles. Lesbian stereotypes are a bit different in Japan than in America. From what I’ve read, lesbians in Japan don’t quite have the same sort of prevalent stereotypes as gay men do. In fact, it’s not really a strange concept for girls to “admire” other girls in Japan. Kind of the “Senpai, notice me!” thing. I do believe that it’s considered strange for women to identify as lesbian, but I’m not aware of any notions of “lesbians are men trapped in women’s bodies”. That being said, I always feel like rolling my eyes when I see the yuri couple following the heteronormative relationship dynamic of the princely girl and the girly girl, just as I would at the BL couple that follows the manly man and the girly boy dynamic. Yuri is interesting though, because it doesn’t seem to follow that dynamic very closely, mostly because of the general acceptance of girls admiring each other and being affectionate in Japanese society. Two traditionally feminine girls are likely to be yuri protagonists because a romantic relationship is not too far off from what is normally expected of two feminine girls.

Gay male relationships in Japan are a different story though. I believe it was CrowLia that mentioned that Japanese society is just plain uncomfortable with guys loving guys. I’ve already described how this is harmful to gay men, and that perpetuating the stereotype is problematic. I’ve also already explained that gay men have every right to reject the feminine stereotype if it doesn’t suit them. If BL mangaka really are only defying conventional gender norms, why are they perpetuating the all-too-conventional stereotype of the feminine gay man? It would be far more impactful if they stepped away from the stereotype and defied conventional masculinity in a heterosexual male character (which surely some shojo mangaka have done).

People rag on the “girly ukes” because we see it for what it is- an attempt to heteronormalize a gay relationship by giving one of the male characters feminine characteristics. Now why do we westerners feel the need to rag on the “girly uke”? Probably because gender and sexuality issues are huge in the western world right now. Given the social climate, I find it far more likely that people on a forum are going to hate on something for avoiding the issue (i.e. making a gay relationship “less gay”), rather than hate on something to perpetuate a gender issue (i.e. hating a feminine man because he’s feminine).
lebrel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
Chaos Salad wrote:
I have to disagree with your view on characters in yuri titles. […] I do believe that it’s considered strange for women to identify as lesbian, but I’m not aware of any notions of “lesbians are men trapped in women’s bodies”.

Yes, exactly, that was my point. There are butchy ladies in women's yuri not because of stereotypes about lesbians, but because gender non-normative women appeal to the audience. BL is the inverse of this.

Chagen46 wrote:
If BL mangaka really are only defying conventional gender norms, why are they perpetuating the all-too-conventional stereotype of the feminine gay man? It would be far more impactful if they stepped away from the stereotype and defied conventional masculinity in a heterosexual male character (which surely some shoujo mangaka have done).

Your points in reverse order:

1. A lot of shoujo manga already does that, in fact I'd say most shoujo does that to one extent or another. (I always say that if you want to be the love interest in a shoujo manga, you either have to wear a dress at least once or kiss another guy.) Even in, say, Black Bird, where the male lead is a molesty, aggressive alpha male, the first time the protagonist sees him as an adult (in a kimono) she at first takes him for a beautiful woman.

I get the impression that you don't read much shoujo; check out Otomen sometime, which is specifically about a man with a feminine personality and interests and how awesome he is. It's terrific and hugely popular both in Japan and here - almost every volume has been a NYT manga list bestseller. Or try The Story of Saiunkoku (which is also terrific): the pretty blond romantic interest (on the cover of V1 and V9) has feminine mannerisms, is slightly ditzy (but very smart), and is completely clueless about everyday life (because he's been cloistered in the palace his whole life). And he blushes on occasion. If he was in a BL manga I'm sure people would be complaining about "girls with penises". In SoS he's a hot dude with gratuitous bathing scenes.

It's very common for Western men to reject the male leads in shoujo manga as not really being men, as being ridiculously girly, as people they can't identify with and don't want to imagine being. A fair number of Japanese men do this too. The key point here is that men don't like women's fantasies about men. They don't match up with men's fantasies about themselves. This isn't restricted to gay men, and it isn't restricted to Japanese media. Look at the amount of whining about "sparkly emo vampires" in Twilight; I can't stand Twilight, but a lot of the vitriol coming from men was aimed at the insufficient masculinity of the love interest.

2. BL is saying nothing about gay stereotypes. The gender norm that it (and most shoujo) is challenging is the deeply embedded assumption that men are naturally and normatively masculine, women are attracted to men because of their masculinity, and feminine men are not desirable.

You can't tell me that effemiphobia isn't a real issue. Feminine men in the US take a huge amount of shit. Feminine gay men take a huger amount of shit. Japan is more tolerant of pretty metrosexual guys because it's understood that women go for that, but overtly feminine men still get shit on for not being "real" men. I've seen straight Japanese men talk about liking BL because it validates male femininity as natural and desirable, and presents a different form of male sexuality that isn't dependent on being aggressive and "carnivorous".

Chagen46 wrote:
People rag on the “girly ukes” because we see it for what it is- an attempt to heteronormalize a gay relationship by giving one of the male characters feminine characteristics.

You're bringing assumptions to the table here: women aren't attracted to feminine men, women don't want to be penetrative, women can't identify with the more masculine character. BL isn't a coded heterosexual relationship unless you insist that women have to identify solely with the uke. Try looking at Japanese fujoshi culture: they talk about how BL allows them to "take both roles". Try looking at the academic studies of Anglophone BL readers: they talk about how BL allows readers to fantasize about being dominant and penetrative. Heck, try looking at depictions of fujoshi in Japanese pop culture: the stereotype is that they want their boyfriends to be uke (this comes up in Genshiken, Fujoshi Rumi, My Girlfrend's a Geek, Tonari no 801-chan…)

Chagen46 wrote:
Now why do we westerners feel the need to rag on the “girly uke”? Probably because gender and sexuality issues are huge in the western world right now. Given the social climate, I find it far more likely that people on a forum are going to hate on something for avoiding the issue (i.e. making a gay relationship “less gay”), rather than hate on something to perpetuate a gender issue (i.e. hating a feminine man because he’s feminine).

The comments early in this thread weren't about "making a gay relationship “less gay”". They were about whether or not the uke character was too feminine to actually be a representation of a man. (The first comment about gender was "Ugg, I hate BL like this. They just draw a girl character and say she has a penis.") The "gay stereotype" point didn't come up until after I complained about this attitude.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It's very common for Western men to reject the male leads in shoujo manga as not really being men, as being ridiculously girly, as people they can't identify with and don't want to imagine being. A fair number of Japanese men do this too. The key point here is that men don't like women's fantasies about men. They don't match up with men's fantasies about themselves. This isn't restricted to gay men, and it isn't restricted to Japanese media. Look at the amount of whining about "sparkly emo vampires" in Twilight; I can't stand Twilight, but a lot of the vitriol coming from men was aimed at the insufficient masculinity of the love interest.

Oh man, I'm so glad that someone else believes this. I always wondered why my fellow male anime fans had a tendency to have this wierd bitter hatred for BL/Shoujo going far beyond "I don't read it" and encroaching on "I hate it and it shouldn't exist" (such as how many male anime fans despise any kind of yaoishipping) like it's personally attacking them. I ended up supposing that they hated them because the guys of BL/Shoujo were "stealing" "their" women from them (basically "why are these bitches fawning over them and not MEEEEEE") combined with a refusal to accept that perhaps their efforts to attract women weren't lining up with what women actually WANTED.

To see someone else hold that opinion is really great, I knew I couldn't have been the only one.
Chaos Salad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:56 pm Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:

Girl, I agree with you so hard on this. Like seriously. However, I don’t agree that this necessarily extends to BL. From what I’ve seen on these types of discussions, it seems to boil down to some men viewing male leads in shoujo manga as “setting the bar too high” or maybe more accurately “setting the bar in a place that I’m not going to go”, because they see the male’s charm work on the female lead. I would argue that this doesn’t apply in BL because men who aren’t into BL tend to view it as “guy on guy for girls” and pointedly aren’t really interested. People who are BL fans tend to be more versed in the debates that circulate through BL fandom (such as heteronormative homosexual relationships), and thus throughout their opinions on topics like the “girly uke”. In short, guys who rag on the shojo male lead are different from the people who rag on the “girly uke”. Which I suppose I’ll talk more about further down…

lebrel wrote:

2. BL is saying nothing about gay stereotypes. The gender norm that it (and most shoujo) is challenging is the deeply embedded assumption that men are naturally and normatively masculine, women are attracted to men because of their masculinity, and feminine men are not desirable.

You can't tell me that effemiphobia isn't a real issue. Feminine men in the US take a huge amount of shit. Feminine gay men take a huger amount of shit. Japan is more tolerant of pretty metrosexual guys because it's understood that women go for that, but overtly feminine men still get shit on for not being "real" men. I've seen straight Japanese men talk about liking BL because it validates male femininity as natural and desirable, and presents a different form of male sexuality that isn't dependent on being aggressive and "carnivorous".

You're bringing assumptions to the table here: women aren't attracted to feminine men, women don't want to be penetrative, women can't identify with the more masculine character. BL isn't a coded heterosexual relationship unless you insist that women have to identify solely with the uke. Try looking at Japanese fujoshi culture: they talk about how BL allows them to "take both roles". Try looking at the academic studies of Anglophone BL readers: they talk about how BL allows readers to fantasize about being dominant and penetrative. Heck, try looking at depictions of fujoshi in Japanese pop culture: the stereotype is that they want their boyfriends to be uke (this comes up in Genshiken, Fujoshi Rumi, My Girlfrend's a Geek, Tonari no 801-chan…)

I think that those are totally valid reasons for liking BL and I don’t doubt that there are fujoshi who think exactly like you say. However, it doesn’t change the fact that many BL relationships are portrayed in a heteronormative way. Not just the sex part, but in relationship dynamics and conflicts. I’m sure that BL fans and mangaka don’t have a secret agenda of perpetuating heteronormative stereotypes in homosexual relationships. That’s not usually how social issues work. It’s far more likely that in order to explore these kinks, they’ve defaulted to shaping homosexual relationships into more familiar and acceptable heterosexual relationships. I’m arguing that this, along with other media influences, can ultimately have a harmful impact.

lebrel wrote:

The comments early in this thread weren't about "making a gay relationship “less gay”". They were about whether or not the uke character was too feminine to actually be a representation of a man. (The first comment about gender was "Ugg, I hate BL like this. They just draw a girl character and say she has a penis.") The "gay stereotype" point didn't come up until after I complained about this attitude.

There was one user who said that, and no one agreed with them. Actually, I’m pretty sure most people attacked them. I can totally understand you reacting to that one user, but your first post was directed to all people on the thread who were totally not into the “girly uke”. Naturally, the others who were being accused of being sexist jumped on your post and told you (through varying degrees of anger) their actual reason for disliking “girly ukes”. It boils down to this: you can’t assume that disliking “girly uke” characters is a result of sexism. I don’t doubt that there are anime fans that devalue femininity, however, I’ve very rarely seen it brought up in this context. I’m genuinely curious if it’s that we just hang out in different parts of the internet because I’ve seen the heteronormative homosexual relationship debate played out plenty of times in BL/slash fanfic discussions. If anything, I usually see a feminist debate get sparked when fans hate on female characters in fujoshi-aimed titles (i.e. Free!). This is honestly the first time that I’ve seen someone stretch this debate into the topic of “girly uke” characters.

But seriously, continue to fight the good feminist fight. I’m just saying that there are topics where the feminist debate isn’t really the main issue. People get defensive when they are called sexist, especially when their preferences have nothing to do with sexism.
lebrel

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:03 am Reply with quote
Chaos Salad wrote:
In short, guys who rag on the shojo male lead are different from the people who rag on the “girly uke”.

I wasn't saying that. I was pointing out that both gay and straight men overwhelmingly do not relate to women's fantasies of men and therefore it is not particularly informative to discuss BL in terms of gay men's preferred presentation.

Chaos Salad wrote:
However, it doesn’t change the fact that many BL relationships are portrayed in a heteronormative way. Not just the sex part, but in relationship dynamics and conflicts. [...] It’s far more likely that in order to explore these kinks, they’ve defaulted to shaping homosexual relationships into more familiar and acceptable heterosexual relationships.

And I'm saying that putting men into a traditionally feminine role does not make them women and does not mean that the relationship is heterosexual. Wanting to see a man who is fully and unreservedly feminine is not the same as portraying a heterosexual relationship. Wanting to see a man deal with traditionally feminine relationship dynamics and conflicts is not the same as portraying a heterosexual relationship.

Chaos Salad wrote:
There was one user who said that, and no one agreed with them. Actually, I’m pretty sure most people attacked them.

The people defending the character were doing so on the grounds that he is not girly, not on the grounds that there is no reason he shouldn't be girly. Everyone who participated in the discussion agreed that if he was girly he would be a "girl with a penis". I'm sure the participants didn't intend to be sexist, but this is nonetheless a sexist attitude.

Chaos Salad wrote:
It boils down to this: you can’t assume that disliking “girly uke” characters is a result of sexism.

Disliking them on the grounds that they are too feminine be men is sexist. This is not just a matter of personal taste.

Chaos Salad wrote:
I’m genuinely curious if it’s that we just hang out in different parts of the internet because I’ve seen the heteronormative homosexual relationship debate played out plenty of times in BL/slash fanfic discussions.

I've seen this debate quite a lot too, and in my experience it is extremely likely to be linked to the attitude that feminine ukes are coded women and not actually men because they are too feminine to be men. Furthermore, it is rare to see people challenge that attitude. Currently our culture is moving towards fighting homophobia, but effemiphobia is still acceptable to the mainstream. Effemiphobia is partially linked to homophobia, but it is mainly linked to sexism. It is definitely a feminist issue.
Chaos Salad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:

And I'm saying that putting men into a traditionally feminine role does not make them women and does not mean that the relationship is heterosexual. Wanting to see a man who is fully and unreservedly feminine is not the same as portraying a heterosexual relationship. Wanting to see a man deal with traditionally feminine relationship dynamics and conflicts is not the same as portraying a heterosexual relationship.

[…]

The people defending the character were doing so on the grounds that he is not girly, not on the grounds that there is no reason he shouldn't be girly. Everyone who participated in the discussion agreed that if he was girly he would be a "girl with a penis". I'm sure the participants didn't intend to be sexist, but this is nonetheless a sexist attitude.

[…]

Disliking them on the grounds that they are too feminine be men is sexist. This is not just a matter of personal taste.

[…]

I've seen this debate quite a lot too, and in my experience it is extremely likely to be linked to the attitude that feminine ukes are coded women and not actually men because they are too feminine to be men. Furthermore, it is rare to see people challenge that attitude. Currently our culture is moving towards fighting homophobia, but effemiphobia is still acceptable to the mainstream. Effemiphobia is partially linked to homophobia, but it is mainly linked to sexism. It is definitely a feminist issue.

Yes, I’m sure that seeing a man in the traditionally feminine role is appealing to some people. Like I said, it’s totally cool for people to like that sort of thing. Kink shaming is not cool in my book. However, the people who were expressing a dislike of the “girly uke” character, were doing so because we are wary of Japanese homosexual stereotypes and we were reacting against a prevalent stereotype.

So, I am Asian American, and I’m aware that American media tends to portray Asian characters as really smart, sometimes nerdy. Are there Asian Americans who fit this stereotype? Oh, heck yeah (hello, I’m one of them). Is this a negative stereotype? On the surface, no, being seen as smart is a good thing to most people. But this stereotype is still harmful to Asian Americans. It sucks to have your academic accomplishments be chalked up to “oh, it’s because you’re Asian” rather than “you, as an individual, are hardworking and motivated”. It also sucks for people who don’t conform to this stereotype. When I see a show that features a stereotypical smart and nerdy Asian character, I immediately become very critical of the character. Why would the creators of the show wish to use such a prevalent stereotype? Could they have changed aspects of the character to go against the stereotype? Like it or not, creators of entertainment media have an effect on how society perceives minority groups. Many people criticize creators who reinforce harmful stereotypes, whether they intended to or not.

If there were no Japanese stereotype of gay men being “women trapped in men’s bodies” and no (Japanese and American) stereotype of gay relationships having the same dynamics as heterosexual relationships, then I would think it was sexist of people to react negatively to a girly gay man. I understand that you and other BL fans enjoy seeing the uke with feminine characteristics, and again, no kink shaming, that’s totally fine. However, you can’t blame us for being critical of works with a feminine gay man as a main character because it IS a stereotype. It’s not a bad stereotype; there is nothing wrong with being a feminine gay man (just like there is nothing wrong with being a smart Asian). But it IS harmful. BL is a part of Japanese media, and it contributes to society’s overall image of gay men. If there was a variety of other media that portrayed gay men in different ways, then we wouldn’t be having this discussion. There wouldn’t be a stereotype to be critical of. But that isn’t the case. There are plenty of feminine male characters that are received just fine by fan bases outside of BL, but it is the gay feminine male character that people have a problem with because it perpetuates a stereotype. There may be fans who view it as challenging gender norms, but it “challenges gender norms” in a way that reinforces a harmful stereotype on a societal scale. The moment that a creator labels their character “gay”, the work becomes open to scrutiny on how that gay character is portrayed. Some people don’t believe that the continued use of extremely feminine gay characters is appropriate in a society that has such prevalent stereotypes of gay men. And they have every right to believe that without being accused of sexism.

The term “girl with penis” is a bit vulgarly simplistic for my taste, but no one indicated that a girly uke’s femininity was bad because femininity shouldn’t be found in men. They used this as a term when discussing the homosexual relationships that mirror heterosexual relationships. Again, this is another stereotype found in Japanese culture (and to a lesser extent, American culture). Same rules apply. When a creator puts a homosexual couple in their work, this relationship becomes open to scrutiny. Let’s put the pieces together: a Japanese stereotype of gay men being “women trapped in men’s bodies” + a stereotype of gay relationships following heterosexual dynamics. You can’t deny that these stereotypes go hand in hand. When these themes come up in Japanese works, I can’t help but raise an eyebrow at how closely it follows Japanese society’s views on homosexuality. Neither can some other people. So we call it out.

Now, a good question would be: is it fair that BL creators receive criticism for their girly uke characters? Giving the benefit of the doubt that mangaka create these characters to defy gender norms, I would say no, it’s not fair. But that’s the thing about being part of entertainment media: they have the power to reinforce or destroy stereotypes. There are plenty of authors/show writers/comic artists who describe who difficult it is to have this power. Regardless of BL creators’ intentions, their portrayal of homosexual characters feeds into societal views. People who are aware of homosexual issues have a right to critique their portrayals of homosexual characters.
lebrel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Chaos Salad wrote:
However, the people who were expressing a dislike of the “girly uke” character, were doing so because we are wary of Japanese homosexual stereotypes and we were reacting against a prevalent stereotype.

As I said above, no-one brought up the issue of "a prevalent stereotype" until after I posted. If you go back to pages 1 and 2, and read the exchanges between Faiga_Raisa, fencer_x and CrowLia, they are talking solely about Ryouma's excessive femininity or lack thereof and whether it makes him a coded woman. None of them so much as mentioned gay stereotypes until they started responding to my post.

Chaos Salad wrote:
The term “girl with penis” is a bit vulgarly simplistic for my taste, but no one indicated that a girly uke’s femininity was bad because femininity shouldn’t be found in men.

The posters in question were all specifically implying that excessive femininity would mean that the character was not validly male. The only disagreement was over what degree of femininity this entailed. Go back and read the posts.

Chaos Salad wrote:
BL is a part of Japanese media, and it contributes to society’s overall image of gay men. If there was a variety of other media that portrayed gay men in different ways, then we wouldn’t be having this discussion.

Well, there's gay men's manga (gei comi, bara), and Japanese gay men's media in general, which overwhelmingly fetishizes hypermasculinity and ignores or actively rejects femininity, but that's not all that well known outside of gay men and the occasional female fan who likes super-butch dudes. (Just for the record, there is gei comi that has average-guy characters, but it's in the minority.)

It is entirely true that the majority view of gay men, in Japan as in the US, is as feminine, and consequently ridiculous or contemptible. This view is homophobic, in that it presents gay men with traits that both the US and majority Jp culture view as negative, but it is also sexist, in that those traits are negative specifically because they are associated with women. The way both US and Jp gay culture currently pushes back against this view is by insisting that gay men are not feminine, but it is equally important to insist that there is no reason why gay men (and straight men) shouldn't be feminine. As I pointed out above, feminine gay men are abjected both as gay and as feminine, and positive depictions of appealingly, validly feminine gay men, or appealingly, validly feminine straight men, is vanishingly rare in mainstream (i.e., non-female-oriented) media in either country (taking into account the different criteria for attractive masculinity in Jp vs the US). Having more depictions of butch gay men won't do anything about this.

Chaos Salad wrote:
There are plenty of feminine male characters that are received just fine by fan bases outside of BL

Really? I've generally found that people who dislike feminine men in BL also dislike feminine male characters in heterosexual romances.

Chaos Salad wrote:
stereotype of gay relationships having the same dynamics as heterosexual relationships

And as I've said repeatedly now, BL does not "have the same dynamics as heterosexual relationships" unless you insist that the readers obligately relate to the uke as a woman. If the seme were explicitly female, would you still consider the relationship heteronormative?

Chaos Salad wrote:
So, I am Asian American, and I’m aware that American media tends to portray Asian characters as really smart, sometimes nerdy.

This is not a parallel analogy. I understand your complaint about "brainy Asians", but as you point out, Asians being smart is a positive stereotype (and at least among nerds, being nerdy is also positive Wink ). Being a feminine man, as far as the majority culture is concerned, is firmly negative. You could argue that it is not valid for women to recoup negative stereotypes of gay men, but it is definitely valid for women to recoup negative stereotypes of femininity, including stereotypes of male femininity. Men, gay or straight, are typically less interested in defending the validity of male femininity, so if we don't do it no one will.
Chaos Salad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

As I said above, no-one brought up the issue of "a prevalent stereotype" until after I posted. If you go back to pages 1 and 2, and read the exchanges between Faiga_Raisa, fencer_x and CrowLia, they are talking solely about Ryouma's excessive femininity or lack thereof and whether it makes him a coded woman. None of them so much as mentioned gay stereotypes until they started responding to my post.

The posters in question were all specifically implying that excessive femininity would mean that the character was not validly male. The only disagreement was over what degree of femininity this entailed. Go back and read the posts.

Just because no one brought it up until after you accused them of sexism, doesn't mean that they didn't originally have that point of view when they wrote about disliking girly uke characters. Some people don't feel the need to explain the reasoning behind their opinions unless provoked. It's really not my place to speak for them, but if they truly believed that men shouldn't have feminine qualities because feminine qualities shouldn't be found in men, then they would have, you know, argued that point. They explained their concern for stereotypes, but you still insisted that they had sexist reasoning for their point of view. Faiga_Raisa was the only one who stated that a feminine man was not really a man. Again, no one agreed with them. Fencer_x and CrowLia both stated that a man who takes care of himself should not be considered a girl:

Quote:

But thanks for saying any guy that happens to take care of himself is a "girl with a penis". Classy.

Quote:

I agree with you, a man that takes care of his appeareance is not a girl just as much as a girl who doesn't care about hers is a man.

CrowLia went on to explain that a feminine male gay character feeds into prevalent stereotypes in Japan, which was her (?) reasoning for not liking girly ukes. Again, I don't mean to speak for them, but the reason I joined the conversation was because I agreed with their point of view.

Quote:

This is not a parallel analogy. I understand your complaint about "brainy Asians", but as you point out, Asians being smart is a positive stereotype (and at least among nerds, being nerdy is also positive Wink ). Being a feminine man, as far as the majority culture is concerned, is firmly negative. You could argue that it is not valid for women to recoup negative stereotypes of gay men, but it is definitely valid for women to recoup negative stereotypes of femininity, including stereotypes of male femininity. Men, gay or straight, are typically less interested in defending the validity of male femininity, so if we don't do it no one will.

You are making a general assumption that all people view femininity as negative. Sure, there are plenty of jerks who think "men should be men". I agree that these people are problematic in society. However, there are also plenty of people who view male femininity positively, but they can still criticize male femininity when it becomes a stereotype for a minority group. I love being a "smart Asian", but I'm going to criticize the hell out of a "smart Asian" on TV because it feeds a prevalent stereotype in society. A stereotype does not need to be negative to be harmful. A stereotype is harmful enough by generalizing a group of people as having specific traits that define them. My point is that if you see people talking about hating girly uke characters on an internet forum, you can't jump to the conclusion that these people are one of the jerks who think "men should be men". Male femininity is great, but when it becomes a stereotype for a specific group of men, people have the right to criticize work that feeds that stereotype.

We're both bringing up points that we have already brought up, and I think that it's pretty clear that neither of us are budging from our point of view. All the points that you are bringing up are not making me believe that hating girly uke characters is sexist, and I wouldn't fault you if the points that I am bringing up aren't changing your opinion either. My only request is that you consider the possible reasons people have for their opinions before you accuse them of sexism. I really don't think that that's an unreasonable request.
lebrel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Chaos Salad wrote:
It's really not my place to speak for them, but if they truly believed that men shouldn't have feminine qualities because feminine qualities shouldn't be found in men, then they would have, you know, argued that point.

Here's Faiga_Raisa's initial comment (emphasis added):

Faiga_Raisa wrote:
Ugg, I hate BL like this.
They just draw a girl character and say she has a penis.

As if that convinces me "super petite face, tiny frame, forever blushing, giant eyes, manicured nails and eyebrows, mannerisms on par with a regular Japanese woman, who cries often" could ever actually be a man.

Here's fencer_x's response (emphasis added):

fencer_x wrote:

I like that you make these wild assumptions without even having read the series. Because if you had, you'd see you're way off I feel like Ryouma cries more than Izumi (I don't think Izumi cries at all?), and Izumi is a frumpy otaku, not someone with ~manicured nails and eyebrows~

Here's CrowLia's response (emphasis added):

CrowLia wrote:
Honestly I'm the first one to complain about girl-with-penis ukes, and that kept me from reading this manga for a long time, but I'm really grateful that I did. Apart from his looks, there's nothing girl-with-penis about Izumi, he's awesome. I'm really looking forward to this series.

Faiga_Raisa's initial statement was that Ryouma was too feminine to be a valid representation of a man, not that he was a gay stereotype. Both fencer_x's and CrowLia's response was that Ryouma was a valid male character because he was not excessively feminine, not because he was not a gay stereotype. Faiga_Raisa came back to argue that he was indeed excessively feminine and that "girl with a penis" was "an accurate description"; again, no mention of gay stereotypes. That's when I showed up.

I'm perfectly willing to accept that the three of them weren't consciously being sexist (this is a deeply embedded cultural valuation, and most people haven't thought it through), but the entire argument was framed around the idea that excessive femininity is incompatible with manhood, and no-one challenged this assumption.

Chaos Salad wrote:
You are making a general assumption that all people view femininity as negative.

All people are not effemiphobic, no. Majority culture, however, definitely is, to the point that I have a hard time believing that as a woman(?) with feminist attitudes you don't recognize this. Effemiphobia is deeply baked into our cultural attitudes towards gender and especially our attitudes towards valid maleness. Men are expected to constantly surveil their behavior, mannerisms, emotional expression, preferences, and even the food they eat in order to show that they are not women and not similar to women. Men who fail at this are not "real men". Most people accept this without question; when was the last time you saw a positive depiction of a feminine man in any American media?

Chaos Salad wrote:
My point is that if you see people talking about hating girly uke characters on an internet forum, you can't jump to the conclusion that these people are one of the jerks who think "men should be men". [...] All the points that you are bringing up are not making me believe that hating girly uke characters is sexist [...] My only request is that you consider the possible reasons people have for their opinions before you accuse them of sexism.

The initial discussion was framed in explicitly sexist terms, whether the participants intended it or not. Hating girly male characters because they are girly is effemiphobic, and that's how the participants were presenting their opinions. Whatever additional reasons they may have for their attitudes doesn't change that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4