• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ah! My Goddess/Aa Megami-sama Manga to End in April

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote
I thought the manga was coming to an end way back when Fujishima-sensei started bringing back forgotten characters from the past, as if doing a farewell tour. I thought it would end at chapter 300, but obviously, we went on a bit more than that.

Sad, but at least things appear to be going out properly.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:35 am Reply with quote
I kind of got the feeling that the story was moving to the finale, because after 26 years Keichi is spoiler[finally sexually attracted to Belldandy...and now has to prove himself to Belldandy's father (God).]

I hope it goes out with a bang unlike Initial D (18 years) which ended with a shrug.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:37 am Reply with quote
Kurohei wrote:
Ah My Goddess is ending, Naruto is ending, so many long running manga are going... Well at lease One Piece is safe for a while.

true but there are many manga that got released here but never got the chance to finish.

for one thing. mangas like Bastard!! , Guyver , could have been easily licensed by Dark Horse since other companies are avoiding them like a plauge. especially bastard after viz dropped it after Vol 20.

Hopefully DHC would at least get Hellsing the dawn.

that said, its pretty interesting to see how oh my goddess will end. I would expect that they would remain as humans to be with the guy they like. that is my theory . though alongs as it doesn't end the same way as negima with nothing gets resolved.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:42 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
I did notice the late 30s to early 40 volumes are a lot more arc-oriented than usual. So I was thinking the series was heading to a turning point, but I don't know how the hell Fujishima could wrap it up in one or two more books...As for the "announcement", I'm going to bet a live-action adaptation. Cool But, with it, Blade of the Immortal, and Gantz done, that means Dark Horse is pretty f**ked, doesn't it?

They still have Usagi Yojimbo.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Hitokiri: Usagi Yojimbo's not manga, though.
tempest21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote
It's sad that this series is coming to an end. Ah! My Goddess is what got me back into anime and manga after having been out of it for a few years. I just hope that this "big important announcement" is the news that a new anime series will start from the beginning and faithfully adapt the manga series from the beginning with a different directorial and production team.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:44 am Reply with quote
Dark Horse still has:
New Lone Wolf & Cub
Berserk
Drifters
Eden! It's an Endless World
Blood Blockade Battlefront
MPD Psycho
Neon Genesis Evangelion: The Shinji Ikari Raising Project and The Shinji Ikari Detective Diary
Oreimo
Blood -C
All the CLAMP stuff
And my personal favorite,
Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service

Considering that manga isn't even close to being their main focus, they're far from "screwed", and it's not like they're distancing themselves from manga, either.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
I knew it had to end sooner or later, but when something has been around for so long it kind of comes as a big shock. The first chapter came out in September of '88. Back then I was in 3rd grade. Reagan was President, Die Hard was in theaters, "Sweet Child o' Mine" by Guns & Roses was the #1 song in America, and Super Mario Bros. 2 was weeks away from release on the NES. Now I am 34. Granted, I didn't actually discover AMG until the very late 90s when I was like 18 or 19, but still, just trying to put it's run into perspective. The Simpsons didn't even come out until 15 months after AMG did.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Agent: New Lone Wolf and Cub isn't that long, while Berserk belongs to Digital Manga. Dark Horse just distributes it. No one's buying Eden, and Drifters sucks. And they don't have all the CLAMP stuff. Also, Eva and Oreimo do not have the crossover appeal of OMG, Gantz and Blade of the Immortal.
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Shocked !
Just, Shocked !
shukero

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really surprised. He must be running out of scenarios or is just tired of doing the same scenarios over and over again.

What I'm most interested in is that special announcement. Something tells me that it will announce his next series. It's obvious he loves to write / create manga so he might have wanted to end the series in favor of creating a new and amazing story Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Keiichi-chan wrote:

i don't necessarily agree with this...look at other 'older' series like anything by rumiko takahashi and her unchanging art style; yu watase's art hasn't changed much, either. yoshihiro togashi's art hasn't gone through a drastic change, either.

Actually, Rumiko Takahashi's art style has gone through multiple noticeable evolutions over the years. Look at the end of Urusei Yatsura (or even the beginning...) and the beginning of Inuyasha.

Togashi I can't comment on as I've only read YuYu Hakusho, but he did another series after YuYu about an alien coming to Earth and crashing at some guy's apartment (WAIT WAIT: It's "Level E"); that particular manga didn't look anything like YYH (it did, however, resemble the post-chapter sketches you see in the volumes, where he draws with a more "realistic" style). I don't, however, see any resemblance to YYH in what little Hunter x Hunter art I've seen.

Hirohiko Araki is another one with a long-running series (although I technically consider Jojo proper to have ended at Part 3...mayyyyybe Part 5 or Part 6 depending on how I'm feeling when I get out of bed in the morning) whose art has gone through countless evolutions, and in fact he can't bring himself to draw in an old style once he transitions. In fact in fact, the guy's art doesn't resemble at all what he used to be like, only the "classical Italian art" poses and loud color schemes for promotional\tankobon cover art.

GATSU: Ah OK, well if he's getting tired then good that it's ending and he's making an effort to wrap things up neatly. Nobody should be a Simpsons. ESPECIALLY a mangaka.

Also: I've seen Bastard!! mentioned, GOD is that another series I want to see end. (And yet ANOTHER example of a long-running manga with total changes in art style over the years, of course) Hagiwara needs to just say "BLEH THIS MANGA-DRAWING THING SUCKS I'M NOT 20 YEARS OLD ANYMORE I HAVE OTHER SHIT TO DO I QUIT!!!!"...OR...finish his work.

Conan is a more "episodic" work so I guess it can be forgiven for its long run, but still I think I can add that one to the pile.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
shukero:
Quote:
What I'm most interested in is that special announcement.

Like I said, live-action version. It's surprising they didn't approve one already for Hollywood, considering it's one of the few manga/anime series which would not suck in that format, if done right. But I'm guessing they saw the live-action Thermae Romae, and think they can do the same thing for Ah Megami-sama.

doomy: I actually wish Togashi continued in that Level E style, as it seemed like a nice mature departure from YYH. But it obviously was not as great a seller, so he went back to the generic shonen look.

Quote:
Also: a couple people mentioned Bastard!!, GOD is that another series I want to see end.

It'd be nice if Wallflower/Yamato Nadesico Shichi Henge wrapped up by now, too.
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
The author and the fans endure all this (almost) 26 years!! Amazing.
Keiichi-chan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:35 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
Keiichi-chan wrote:

i don't necessarily agree with this...look at other 'older' series like anything by rumiko takahashi and her unchanging art style; yu watase's art hasn't changed much, either. yoshihiro togashi's art hasn't gone through a drastic change, either.

Actually, Rumiko Takahashi's art style has gone through multiple noticeable evolutions over the years. Look at the end of Urusei Yatsura (or even the beginning...) and the beginning of Inuyasha.

Togashi I can't comment on as I've only read YuYu Hakusho, but he did another series after YuYu about an alien coming to Earth and crashing at some guy's apartment (WAIT WAIT: It's "Level E"); that particular manga didn't look anything like YYH (it did, however, resemble the post-chapter sketches you see in the volumes, where he draws with a more "realistic" style). I don't, however, see any resemblance to YYH in what little Hunter x Hunter art I've seen.

Hirohiko Araki is another one with a long-running series (although I technically consider Jojo proper to have ended at Part 3...mayyyyybe Part 5 or Part 6 depending on how I'm feeling when I get out of bed in the morning) whose art has gone through countless evolutions, and in fact he can't bring himself to draw in an old style once he transitions. In fact in fact, the guy's art doesn't resemble at all what he used to be like, only the "classical Italian art" poses and loud color schemes for promotional\tankobon cover art.

GATSU: Ah OK, well if he's getting tired then good that it's ending and he's making an effort to wrap things up neatly. Nobody should be a Simpsons. ESPECIALLY a mangaka.

Also: I've seen Bastard!! mentioned, GOD is that another series I want to see end. (And yet ANOTHER example of a long-running manga with total changes in art style over the years, of course) Hagiwara needs to just say "BLEH THIS MANGA-DRAWING THING SUCKS I'M NOT 20 YEARS OLD ANYMORE I HAVE OTHER SHIT TO DO I QUIT!!!!"...OR...finish his work.

Conan is a more "episodic" work so I guess it can be forgiven for its long run, but still I think I can add that one to the pile.

the style is only very slightly different. the protagonist's father in hxh, for instance, is drawn nearly exactly like the protagonists from yuyu. but we're talking about development over time within the same series.

the difference in amg seems way more drastic than any evolution rumiko takahashi went through. like i said before, urasei and ramna and inuyasha all were clearly drawn by the exact same person, and anyone could tell that just by skimming the drawings in those series - ah!my goddess looks like it could be drawn by a completely different person just glancing at the earlier artwork and comparing it to the later styles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5