• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Love Stage!! Boys-Love Anime's 1st Promo Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leesahlynn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
Am I really the only person who doesn't think they look gender ambiguous at all? xD The style is really "pretty" but I couldn't mistake either of them for girls. I guess it is a tad bit more feminine overall than the feeling the manga gives off, but it doesn't seem that significant to me.

I just hope they kept the full hilarity of the manga! This series is REALLY funny!
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
mewpudding101 wrote:

As a person who writes articles on ANN...
I usually try to use one anime that's an older title that is known by a US audience (whether online or with legal releases) and one anime title that is recent. So for example, I might use "Nana Mizuki (Elemental Gelade, Senki Zesshō Symphogear G)". Of course, since these parts of the article might be written swiftly, significant titles might be written off the top of my head.

Hope this answers some questions! We're not trying to be a mysterious organization. Wink

Thanks for the answer, that's a very reasonable criteria. Still begs the question of why choose "Mao, Hamatora" as Eguchi's only credit role when neither the character or the series are particularly popular and the character doesn't play any remotely important role. Like saorren said, other characters like Hachiman from Oregairu or even Kujo from Gosick would make more sense and fit the criteria better.

Anyway, it was just a small detail, but thanks for answering
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:45 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
I'm not gonna be watching this since it's BL but I must say it looks colorful and the PV made me laugh. Hopefully this sells well and more BL anime is made. Laughing

Might I commend you, fine sir or madam, on your attitude? As someone outside the target demographic you still wish the series well and I really must express how happy that makes me. To be respectful of other genres/tropes/whathaveyou within our weird little community is a fantastic thing. Anime catgrin
Z-Raid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm still a little surprised that this series is getting an anime adaptation. Well, a few yuri anime has been coming out this year, so a BL anime isn't too sudden.

I'll give it a shot when it comes out. I've read the manga, so it'll be nice to see how well it translates into anime form.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Japan, I know you regularly fail me each season, but please don't let this show fail. PLEASE. I have faith in you. We need more BL. Don't fail me.

Quote:
Well, a few yuri anime has been coming out this year, so a BL anime isn't too sudden.

That's...quite the non-sequitur there. Yuri has little to do with BL and I'd wager the success of fujoshi shows such as Free! had to do with this anime being greenlit.
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
sakuragtin wrote:
@zeo1fan

All of Eiki Eiki and Taishi Zaou's characters look very pretty and tend to be gender ambiguous, so it's no surprise you are unsure what to make of him. I don't particularly care for the designs myself. The two have gotten worse after writing their Princess Princess series but some people really like the ambiguous look so that's okay. In Princess Princess+ they even stated that they were ignoring the rules they had set for themselves for the original Princess Princess for what boys could cross dress in because of their body differences with girls. I don't think they applied that here though.

@phoenixalia

No worries. I'm not trying to question you or anything. As I said I understand since I don't like reverse harems.

I've also decided that I think their mouths look like fish or maybe a cat. They still just look odd.

Worse, like, in terms of writing? Or their art getting wonkier?
Chaos Salad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:

Oh, I have nothing against BL. I don't like BL but, I'd be happier if there were more BL anime for BL fans since they need good anime too.

No, but seriously, this is like the cutest post. Bless you :]
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:15 am Reply with quote
@zeo1fan
The artwork not the writing (their stories are still as quirky and weird albeit humorous as ever).

For me anyway, there seems to be a less and less define line between how they draw men and women with each new work. Keep in mind, though, they've always used androgynous designs and always played with that ambiguity with their characters. This is just a continuation of that trend.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:16 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

Might I commend you, fine sir or madam, on your attitude? As someone outside the target demographic you still wish the series well and I really must express how happy that makes me. To be respectful of other genres/tropes/whathaveyou within our weird little community is a fantastic thing. Anime catgrin

I may not like BL, but the last real BL anime was two or three years back, just like yuri anime but now yuri fans are getting Sakura Trick, Akuma no Riddle and Nekoyama-san while BL fans are only getting this anime and the BL fanbase deserves more too so hopefully this anime at least breaks even in terms of sales so that hopefully then studios will not totally dismiss making a BL series.

I sort of know how BL fans feel because I'm a big shoujo manga fan but shoujo manga turned into anime almost always fail so I'm also hoping that the two new shoujo announced for Spring and Summer at least break even in sales or get good manga boosts so that more shoujo manga will be made into anime.

Chaos Salad wrote:

No, but seriously, this is like the cutest post. Bless you :]

Aww, thank you. Very Happy
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:33 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

I'd wager the success of fujoshi shows such as Free! had to do with this anime being greenlit.

Just FTR, I'm pretty sure Love Stage's anime was green-lit even before Free was officially announced or in really close dates, so I doubt there's any correlation between both things
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:46 am Reply with quote
I was actually a little surprised to hear this was a BL anime. Not because I know anything about the source material but yeah, come to think of it, it seems like a long time since we had a true BL anime. I've stopped hoping for anything that appeals to me in the last few Season previews.

Honestly, I appreciate being tossed a bone or two from time to time. I'm kinda "meh" about most anime nowadays so it's extremely nice to see something overtly catering to me for once. Kinda pathetic for a medium I used to be into, but there you have it-- I'm actually taken aback when I'm being pandered to at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zeo1fan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote
sakuragtin wrote:
@zeo1fan
The artwork not the writing (their stories are still as quirky and weird albeit humorous as ever).

For me anyway, there seems to be a less and less define line between how they draw men and women with each new work. Keep in mind, though, they've always used androgynous designs and always played with that ambiguity with their characters. This is just a continuation of that trend.

And you think it was Princess Princess that triggered this androgyny?
Izu0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I can't wait!!!! I love the preview and the manga for it!!!! >< yaoi mode
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2